• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Abbotsford Airshow Sat 11 Aug 2007

I attended the airshow on Saturday and got to see the Globemaster. I took some video from my cellphone of it taking off and doing a flypast. If I ever figure out how to upload the video, I'll put it here.

SteveB said:
On a side note, I've always wondered why all military flights don't use the CFC call sign.  It always seemed like a small but, easily fixed breach of op sec to use squadron call signs on an open ATC frequency.  I remember reading how the VC tracked US formations by the insignia painted on their choppers.

Again best wishes

Cheers
Steve

All the Sqn call signs are published in the GPH 204, it's unclas. Talon XX for 423 Sqn is not a tactical call sign, it's more of a means for ATC to know who we are without having to say "This is Sea King Can Force 2407" like civvie pilots do. We still get asked from time to time about our type, but in places like Halifax, they know who you are just by your call sign. Tactical call signs are used only in the green (secure voice), when operating tactically in the red, we use alphanumeric daily changing call signs. At least that's how we operate in MH. We also use different call signs at sea when talking to the ship in the green, Talon is only used for domestic flying, we also use it in the US.

At one point, the Can Force call sign was used with the last 4 digits of your tail number. This has since changed and I can't remember what set of orders it's in, but all sqns are issued a block of 4 digits numbers to be used with the Can Force call sign.

Inch said:
All the Sqn call signs are published in the GPH 204, it's unclas. Talon XX for 423 Sqn is not a tactical call sign, it's more of a means for ATC to know who we are without having to say "This is Sea King Can Force 2407" like civvie pilots do. We still get asked from time to time about our type, but in places like Halifax, they know who you are just by your call sign. Tactical call signs are used only in the green (secure voice), when operating tactically in the red, we use alphanumeric daily changing call signs. At least that's how we operate in MH. We also use different call signs at sea when talking to the ship in the green, Talon is only used for domestic flying, we also use it in the US.

Same for MP

eurowing said:
I still wish we could call the first one "Steve".

Well thanks to Steve we're getting them I must say. The Libs were carping last night on CTV that we were doing just fine renting them when we needed them instead of owning them. The CAS came out on the same report and said that that was all well and good but when you're hitchhiking you can't always get a ride when and where you want it. Maybe we could just nick name it Steve 001 eh?  ;D

Skip__ said:
Here are some pictures from today.  I am posting some videos on YouTube and will post the links shortly.

Very nice! Haven't watched the video's yet, but may look at them when I get home from work.

Thanks for sharing Skip,

~Rebecca

I am posting this to inquire about the Aug. 8-10, 2008 Airshow, but was wary of starting a new thread. Perhaps this thread and the 2006 one about the airshow can be merged instead of starting a new one?

www.abbotsfordairshow.com

My question is this: Will visitors be allowed to take photos inside the aircraft on static display? Or will they only be allowed to take photos outside the aircraft? This is the first time I am attending this show.

CougarDaddy said:
My question is this: Will visitors be allowed to take photos inside the aircraft on static display? Or will they only be allowed to take photos outside the aircraft? This is the first time I am attending this show.

It will depend on wether or no its an "open" static display or a "closed "static display. The difference between open and closed is people allowed on board or not. Even then it will depend on the aircraft itself. Some air forces restrict the ability to take pictures inside their aircrafts. As for taking pictures of the exterior i have never been a participant or visitor to an airshow where no external pictures were allowed. That being said, you sometimes can only get up to a certain distance from certain types of aircraft. Aircraft on flying dispaly are not accessible to the public.

I'll be there on the 8th myself

Thanks for the reply. So are the Auroras and the Griffons considered open or closed static display?

CougarDaddy said:
Thanks for the reply. So are the Auroras and the Griffons considered open or closed static display?

The CP-140 is going to be part of the flying display as far as i know so it will not be publicly accessible as it will be on the hot ramp and not the static display area. I dont know what the CH-146s are doing.

CDN Aviator said:
The CP-140 is going to be part of the flying display as far as i know so it will not be publicly accessible as it will be on the hot ramp and not the static display area. I dont know what the CH-146s are doing.

That's surprising. It says on the website section for the static display that an Aurora will participate. I guess the website is wrong then. 

http://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/participating-aircraft.html

CougarDaddy said:
That's surprising. It says on the website section for the static display that an Aurora will participate. I guess the website is wrong then. 

http://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/participating-aircraft.html

Well, i was told this was going to be a flying display. Things may have changed but the crew is flying a practice display tomorow IIRC.

Back