• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

a friend, give up or stick with?

Jaxson

Inactive
Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm in need of advice about a friend of mine (of 6 years) we've both decided to go to the army and we selected the same career selection (he doesn't want to do infantry but he wont go through basic alone so he decided to try and come with me) now in preparation for my upcoming medicals, physicals and such, i have started a healthy eating and exercise regime and I'm trying to get him to do the same thing (not just for medicals and test but for basic if we actually *and hopefully* get into the Cf's)   now my problem is, this friend of mine is VERY lazy whenever it comes crunch time to work out hes always coming up with an excuse now i don't wanna see my friend fail and i don't want to give up on him this easily but i also don't want my results to be put in the crapper cause he will be holding me back if he doesn't get his ass in gear, so i need some advice, do i stick it out a bit longer and see if i can get him to actually start properly training? or do i find a new person to workout with who is eager and not coming up with excuses all the time and is actually willing to put in the work and effort it will take? i know the final decision is mine, but advice would be nice, as some of you may have been in a similar situation.

*edit*
and i realize this may not of been the best forum to stick this topic in, but it has to do with the recruiting process so i put it here.

This is the Army afterall. Not babysitters anonymous.If he's too mentally weak and poorly focused, and simply not made for this at all, then thats that.Everyone is expected to give their all.The ones that don't, arent earning their pay, or their right to wear the uniform.

paracowboy said:
eat your weakest man and carry on with the mission.

Hehehehe I remember trying to get my sister to do sit-ups and push-ups hehehehe I'm
in tears laughing.... anywayssss...

Friends are friends and training buddies are training buddies.  Real friendship is hard to find so
don't dump a good friend.  However, training routines and diets are highly personal sometimes so
you can't expect everyone to follow you're routine.  Do your thing and train hard.  He'll
make his own choices and push will come to shove during the application fitness test.

You don't know yet whether you'll both go through the same BMQ.  If you do, you'll get placed
in a group with 60 other guys.  BMQ is nothing like you've experienced before.  He'll (and everyone)
be expected to perform as an individual and more importantly as part of a team.  Theres nothing
you can do for him and nothing he can do to hold you back.  He'll learn as part of the magic of
BMQ how to pull up his socks and perform or reap the consequences.  Its a learning experience
for all.

Don't sweat it.  Good luck.

You aren't giving up on your friendship if you decide to carry on with your fitness regiment without your friend. You are just taking your personal goal more seriously then your friend. If he is any sort of friend he wouldn't hold it against you and continue the friendship regardless if you both or just you make it into the military. Keep inviting him to workout, if he comes he comes, if not then so be it. You can't hold yourself accountable if he fails, it's up to him to properly prepare to achieve his successes. You can only help someone so much. From what you've written about him, personally I don't think he'd fair well in a military lifestyle. Overall it sounds like he isn't fully committed to this career goal that you both have set for yourselves. He may need more time to think it over if it really is for him.

thats for all the replies, and yea i didn't mean dump the friend as in lose him, i meant like get rid of him as a training buddy, and trying to get him into his own fitness routine (not copy mine) its just he has no motivation to do so, anyways like i said, thanks for all the responses, gives me enough to think about and decide what I'm going to do. :salute: :cdn:

paracowboy speaks the truth( eat your weakest and carry on)  You cannot make your friend do anything, if he is not into the 031 thing he will never get the motivation.  You train hard, if he cannot hang, find someone who will.

best of luck

i have made my choice to as it was said to "eat my weakest and carry on" i had a feeling i would go this way in the end but i decided to make that choice today when i called him up to workout and he said "man, i dont know why we need to work out so much *every other day weekends we take off* it cant be that hard" well at the point i got pretty pissed for him assuming it was so simple that people could just jump into and do without any effort, i told him goodluck with getting in and if he needed help i would still give it to him, but i would not hold myself back so he can keep up. and i do wish him the best of luck because i know he wants to be in the army, i just think he joined at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. and thanks to everyone for their opinions and quick responses.

That's probably one of the reasons why i wouldn't try to get my friends or a friend to be a work out buddy.

I went out with my own money and purchased a home gym setup, and a exercise bike (also own an elliptical machine).

I am doing this for myself.

if i was to do it with one of my friends, i would be in the same position you are. They would not be dedicated as much as i am, and with this set up i have here, i got everything i need right here.

Back