• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few questions on the Engineer MOC

Your welcome, and welcome to the ranks of "Thumperhead".......

We rely reavily on charts and tables....... the trick is knowing which chart & table to use for the right job.

Oh well, drop a bridge "into the gap" a couple of times & the Tp WO will set you straight!  >:D

Bob McSween !!! Haven't  heard that name in a long time was he AKA Piggy? As old as I am I seem to remember a Bridge going into a gap somewhere north of Lake Harrison, of course I might be mistaken as those days (mid 70's) are a long time ago. I also remember the rain.

Bob was an instructor in Bridging Troop forever.  Pretty funny, as he dropped more bridges than Bomber Command and Hogan's Heroes put together.  :D

I figure Spider's MGB the most memorable. I should qualify that by saying it was for me. It happened just before lunch so of course the Base/School/Regiment saw the end of bridge sticking "waaaaay up"!  ;D

Edit: hukd on phonicks!

Ah yes, the stern of the mighty Titanic protruding majestically from the depths.

geo said:
Oh well, drop a bridge "into the gap" a couple of times & the Tp WO will set you straight!  >:D

Couple of times ???

Now that is a real understanding Tp WO  ;D

NFLD Sapper said:
Not sure if bridging is still done on the Reg Force Courses, I know that the Reserve Serials it has been completely removed.

It seems that they want to run a Advanced Bridging Course this summer though. It will encompass everything from the design to building and everthing in between

Just a question from an old feller, but if bridging is not taught on the 3's and 5's (or whatever they are called these days) how can somebody be reasonably expected to understand the requirements of an Advanced Bridging Course?

Ego Ita Confusus.....

Rodahn said:
Just a question from an old feller, but if bridging is not taught on the 3's and 5's (or whatever they are called these days) how can somebody be reasonably expected to understand the requirements of an Advanced Bridging Course?

Ego Ita Confusus.....

No idea, ask me again in the fall I might have more answers.

From what I have seen, what limited bridging being taught is being done by the reservists during the Fall/Winter/Spring timeframe...

It's a lousy state of affairs - one that one can only hope gets straightened out over the next little while.

At one point I was talking to a former Engineer WO who looked after the stores in the 5 RGC yard.  He claims that the reserve make more use of the MGB bridge than the regs do... and that ain't right.
Had one of my former Sgts who was in Bosnia a couple of years ago with 5 RGC when a task came down to put up a Bailey bridge.  Reg Sr NCOs turned to Res Sr NCO (my guy) .... cause the reserves are the bridge builders...

It's a lousy state of affairs - one that will over time work itself out.

I still can't fathom how they could send M/Cpl Bloggins on an "Advanced Bridging" course, when he's never frickin built one. Causes one to wonder what the C.T.P. for it would be......

You & me both my friend, you & me both!

Rodahn said:
By writting the CTP toward a crowd that has far less bridging experience than in the past, or by creating a basic/intermediate bridging course?

.... Or writing up a QL4 type course that is to be executed at the xx level

Ah, even back in the day there were NCO's that couldn't build a bridge to save their lives. At least now they don't have to fake it.

SprCForr said:
Ah, even back in the day there were NCO's that couldn't build a bridge to save their lives. At least now they don't have to fake it.

And I'm guessing that I wasn't one of them, as I never lost a bridge.... Even though I ended up instructing bridging after not having done anything in that area for 8 years.....

I must admit that after so long out of bridging I missed a lot, I remember my first build, I had to approach another instructor and ask what "3P2" meant on a MGB build... (Far too may bier in Germany no doubt)....

There are those who have dropped their bridge "into the gap" AND there are those who haven't ;)

Back