• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few questions on the Engineer MOC

S

Stout

sorry if this information has been posted already I searched around and couldnt find the information I was looking for.  I have recently received my job offer as a Combat Engineer and I have a few questions about the 20 week occupational training.  During this timeframe is it all training and schooling or is there some actual work involved, and by that I don't mean overseas deplyment but maybe vehicle maintence or construction jobs on base.  also do you get training in all areas of engineer, bridging, explosives, construction, or do they look at your individual skills and streamline you to an area they see you excelling in. 

Stout said:
also do you get training in all areas of engineer, bridging, explosives, construction, or do they look at your individual skills and streamline you to an area they see you excelling in. 

you get it all.......

Not sure if bridging is still done on the Reg Force Courses, I know that the Reserve Serials it has been completely removed.

It seems that they want to run a Advanced Bridging Course this summer though. It will encompass everything from the design to building and everthing in between

good to know. I assume they are removing it because it is no longer applicable in todays style of fighting, and most bridging could be done by construction engineers?  it is an area I would like to train in as I am a journeyman carpenter and I have worked on many permanent bridge structures throughout alberta and I would like to learn about the military style of temporary bridging.

Ive been away from the trade for a while but as far as i know Bridging had not been removed from the section member course (RegF). One of the current RegF CER guys can correct me there.

Stout said:
good to know. I assume they are removing it because it is no longer applicable in todays style of fighting, and most bridging could be done by construction engineers?

Be careful on mixing up construction engineer tasks with combat engineer tasks.  They often overlap but an MGB or MR/MFB is decidedly not a CE job !!!

The NFLD Grinch said:
Or Acrow  ;D

ACROW is a "line of comunication" bridge and has been built in the past by civilians using mostly heavy equipment.  IMHO, that makes it very suitable for a construction engineer / non-combat engineer unit.

True, but nothing is like building an 8 Bay ACROW by hand.

The NFLD Grinch said:
True, but nothing is like building an 8 Bay ACROW by hand.

Nor is it realy necessary either. The ACROW can be built by hand, no argument there. But it remains my opinion that the CME simply looked at it as an overgrown EWBB and forgot to move into the modern world.

One of the last thing i was working on at CFSME was trying to simplify the ACROW design process but i dont know if that made it anywhere after i left.

Beats me, I haven't done ACROW since '02. Let me check what I have at home on it though.

Thanks for the info guys, one of the reasons I chose Combat Engineer as a trade is the diversity of skills I will be learning, its good to know that the bridging course is still in the reg training, as I do enjoy construction(carpentry has been in my family for generations).  I am most excited by the explosives training involved in the trade, any info on the kinds of explosives, and the different tasks involving said devices, we get trained in would be greatly appreciated.

From a personal perspective, I found that to train sappers in teamwork, building a Bailey bridge was by far the most satisfying method.  It was still possible to manhandle all the bits and pieces without having recourse to cranes and really heavy equipment... which is the domain of the ACROW.  The MGB is another good teambuilder -  just a wee bit too expensive to have em distributed across the country to all the Reserve CER/Field Squadrons.

Geo, I agree with you 100% about EWBB being a team builder. The sense of satisfaction after building that beast on a virgin site was huge!

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22088.0.html

I have a question for the fellow Engineers out there. I have been doing some research into the trade and it looks as if I will be  do a doing a lot of structural and civil engineering and from what it looks like. According to the job description you have to be very strong in problem solving and math skills to advance in this trade. I am trying to be "Proactive" and started studying basic engineering problem solving as well structural and civil engineering problem solving and basic engineering with the equations. and theory as well with the following above, Also been doing a lot of problem solving and getting my math skills up there. Is this really necessary for me to do this. I figure the more I know the less I will have to learn when i get there but I also don't want to be studying stuff that do not apply to the job does anyone have any direction on what to study or what is best to study? thanks for your time in this matter

Look here, some really smart guy named Kat Somethingorother explains it quite brilliantly;

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34212.0.html

Combat_Engineer_Clarke said:
I have a question for the fellow Engineers out there. I have been doing some research into the trade and it looks as if I will be  do a doing a lot of structural and civil engineering and from what it looks like. According to the job description you have to be very strong in problem solving and math skills to advance in this trade. I am trying to be "Proactive" and started studying basic engineering problem solving as well structural and civil engineering problem solving and basic engineering with the equations. and theory as well with the following above, Also been doing a lot of problem solving and getting my math skills up there. Is this really necessary for me to do this. I figure the more I know the less I will have to learn when i get there but I also don't want to be studying stuff that do not apply to the job does anyone have any direction on what to study or what is best to study? thanks for your time in this matter

Do you want to keep the above post; or the following?

I have a question for the fellow Engineers out there. I have been doing some research into the trade and it looks as if I will be  do a doing a lot of structural and civil engineering and from what it looks like. According to the job description you have to be very strong in problem solving and math skills to advance in this trade. I am trying to be "Proactive" and started studying basic engineering problem solving as well structural and civil engineering problem solving and basic engineering with the equations. and theory as well with the following above, Also been doing a lot of problem solving and getting my math skills up there. Is this really necessary for me to do this. I figure the more I know the less I will have to learn when i get there but I also don't want to be studying stuff that do not apply to the job does anyone have any direction on what to study or what is best to study? thanks for your time in this matter.

Make up you mind.

The math skills will help, but having said that initially, your still going to have to get your ticket punched so to speak. Back when I did my training 35 years ago, we were more of the "basic labourer" given the skill sets you had been instructed on. As you progress in the trade you pick up experience and skill sets that are required. The caveat with the above is that somethings have changed since I went through. You really shouldn't worry about the "civil engineering" per se... that will come later in your career.

All the best in your future endeavours.

Chimo

Back