• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few questions before applying.

Clueless

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey folks, I am new to the forum and just had a couple questions before deciding on whether to join the Regular Forces or the Primary Reserves. These questions are:

If I apply now, when is the earliest basic training I can start?

How long does the application process usually last?

Where am I most likely to be stationed?

When can you leave the station to visit family and what not?

What are a few jobs that are available to a high school graduate? (1 year university studying Criminology, possibly dropping out)

Which jobs are in high demand right now and would allow me to actually go to war?

What are the chances of deployment?

How does education continue if you are at the bases and are unable to attend your regular classes?

Can I choose where I am to be stationed in Canada?

How long is the commitment to the army?

How can I get a job as a recruiter in the army?

...will be updated if I get more questions.

I know a few of these questions are easily attainable but I also was curious to hear from someone that has been through this or is going through the same stage of decision as me right now.

Thankyou,
Mr. Clueless (hopefully soon to be Private.Clueless)

Quick answer before you're told to use the search function (because most of these questions were answered before): http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

ltgrenier said:
Quick answer before you're told to use the search function (because most of these questions were answered before): http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

Yes, quite a bit of the information is given there but according to quite a few people on this forum the information is quite outdated and some questions like "How am I to continue my education in university without attending my regular classes" and a few others are questions that are answered through experience which is what I am looking for.

Thankyou very much for the link though.

Clueless said:
Yes, quite a bit of the information is given there but according to quite a few people on this forum the information is quite outdated and some questions like "How am I to continue my education in university without attending my regular classes" and a few others are questions that are answered through experience which is what I am looking for.
I know a few of these questions are easily attainable ....
If you've read far enough to see what's highlighted, I'm guessing you can maybe plug away a little more and find the answers to the questions you have.  After all, they're "easily attainable", right?

Some free advice, worth every penny:  a lack of initiative is not rated highly as an attribute for someone wanting to serve in the CF.

Happy hunting.

As soon as your application is complete and you get an offer some time after that.

Weeks, months, years - too many factors to offer a definitive time frame.

Where am I most likely to be stationed?

That depends on trade, people get posted all over the country. Some remain in one location for many years, other move about every few years.

When can you leave the station to visit family and what not?

When you are not required to stay for service reasons.

What are a few jobs that are available to a high school graduate? (1 year university studying Criminology, possibly dropping out)

See forces.gc.ca for trades and educational prerequisites.

Which jobs are in high demand right now and would allow me to actually go to war?

See forces.gc.ca

As far as going to war is concerned, many trades offer that possibility in varying degrees of opportunity.

What are the chances of deployment?

Too many factors ....

How does education continue if you are at the bases and are unable to attend your regular classes?

It doesn't, unless you are a part-time soldier in the Reserves.

Can I choose where I am to be stationed in Canada?

No, unless you join the Reserves and stay at that location.

How long is the commitment to the army?

Depends on trade and program, it varies. For many people it's a life long commitment.

How can I get a job as a recruiter in the army?

Join. Succeed in trade. Ask career manager for Recruiter position. Hope and pray you get it.

As you can see, simple questions do not necessarily come with simple answers. The more time you spend reading the better you will be able to formulate specific questions that can be answered directly.

Great answers by Michael O'Leary. I'll add some tidbits as well to give you a hand in your journey.

As soon as your application is complete and you get an offer some time after that. (see: <a href="http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13064.0.html">Application Process Samples</a> )

(see: <a href="http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13064.0.html">Application Process Samples</a> )

See <a href="http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70">Forces.ca Job List</a>  for trades and educational prerequisites.

See <a href="http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70">Forces.ca Job List</a>

Here is a list of <a href="http://www.forces.ca/en/page/faq-101">Frequently Asked Questions</a> from forces.ca that answer quite a few of the answers you asked. Also, here at army.ca (or whichever part of Milnet you came in on) you will find a WEALTH of information in the forums here. Never hesitate to ask questions HOWEVER go to Google, type  "Site:army.ca",  followed by a space any keywords related to what you're looking for and there is a very good chance you will find your answers in a post dated from yesterday or six years ago. Information from five years ago could be just as viable today. Take the time and look, but as always, if you're stuck, a mentor or a Fixture like Michael O'Leary will always be on-hand.

Mud
Mentor

Since no one before me has said it yet... My advice is to just going into a local CFRC and talk to a recruiter...  They will be able to give you honest answers to all of your questions and are a valuable source of information. Before I applied, I had several conversations with some of the staff at my local CFRC and they helped me with quite a bit. Seeing as how you are wanting to be a recruiter, talking to one is your best bet!  :salute:

Michael, I generally agree with your answers. However, I'd like to point out an alternate option for one of your answers.

Michael O'Leary said:

It doesn't, unless you are a part-time soldier in the Reserves.

If you want to continue post-secondary education, there are some programs that can be done by distance education through RMC or a number of civilian universities. Short of distance though or subsidized education, Mr. O'Leary is spot on with all his answers AFAIK.

All of your answers are here on the forum, a recruiter or on the forces website. Look around and you'll find them.

The moderators here don't like it when people dont put the effort into what their question is, because it just makes multiple threads of the same thing.

Check the site or talk to a recruiter.

Marshall12345 said:
All of your answers are here on the forum, a recruiter or on the forces website. Look around and you'll find them.

The moderators here don't like it when people dont put the effort into what their question is, because it just makes multiple threads of the same thing.

Check the site or talk to a recruiter.

What the moderators, and in fact a large number of the membership (because it's not just mods who make up the site), do not appreciate is when someone appears too lazy to do the research themselves and when they come across wanting to be spoonfed the information. They can be easily spotted with statements such as, "I don't have time to search" or "Please do not tell me to search" or "Just give me the answers" etc.

Most people here do not mind helping someone when they have a genuine and unique question. But this has its limits and I think that's perfectly understandable.

Back