• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

A curiousity....

Oh nice... I wonder how many sources or whistleblowers will be willing to risk speaking with journalists now when their files can just be grabbed by the corporation. You know nothing good will come of this. Sends a message, doesn't it? The fourth estate was dead long ago, this is just another verification of that.

Oh nice... I wonder how many sources or whistleblowers will be willing to risk speaking with journalists now when their files can just be grabbed by the corporation. You know nothing good will come of this. Sends a message, doesn't it? The fourth estate was dead long ago, this is just another verification of that.

I got a chuckle over the union involved.

The journalist is a member of SAG-AFTRA. The same outfit represents Alec Baldwin. Screen Actors Guild - American Federation of Television and Radio Artists.

Infotainment.

A curiousity....

NOT a good look on CBS/Paramout Global.

Sadly, though, this is the private sector, so fruits of the employee tree tend to be property of the company. When I was reorged from one private media company to another, I didn't get to bring my files with me. When I got laid off from a private sector media outlet, I didn't get to bring all my files with me.

Given the types of files in question, I'm sure legal would have had some ... concerns? given the current political environment. If she couldn't take her stuff with her, destroying the files would have been an even worse look.

More on this one (including from the House Judiciary Committee) ...
... with more on Herridge's X feed (don't be surprised if the handle changes shortly)

CBS faces uproar after seizing investigative journalist’s files

The timing of Herridge’s termination immediately raised suspicions in Washington. She was pursuing stories that were unwelcomed by the Biden White House and many Democratic powerhouses, including the Hur report on Joe Biden’s diminished mental capacity, the Biden corruption scandal and the Hunter Biden laptop. She continued to pursue these stories despite reports of pushback from CBS executives, including CBS News President Ingrid Ciprian-Matthews.
Thats why this extremely competent journalist was laid off. Back to FOX?

NOT a good look on CBS/Paramout Global.

Sadly, though, this is the private sector, so fruits of the employee tree tend to be property of the company. When I was reorged from one private media company to another, I didn't get to bring my files with me. When I got laid off from a private sector media outlet, I didn't get to bring all my files with me.

Given the types of files in question, I'm sure legal would have had some ... concerns? given the current political environment. If she couldn't take her stuff with her, destroying the files would have been an even worse look.

More on this one (including from the House Judiciary Committee) ...
... with more on Herridge's X feed (don't be surprised if the handle changes shortly)

Moving from employer to employer, the employer gets to keep the files, the computer they supplied. That is normal in most organizations.

I find it is an annoyance, when going to the new employer, to rebuild the database, but nothing more. The brain retains a lot. Open Source data fills in a lot of the blanks and social media supplies lots of info on old contacts.

I'm guessing the worst part is going to be re-interviewing people and possibly needing to re-source some lost evidentiary material?

This has been a brouhaha in the US for a few days now. People in media, and at CBS in particular, have alleged that it's customary for people to retain their files. Customs might differ between countries. The US has, and continues to have, much stronger traditions of freedom of expression.

Apparently CBS has already modified its position. However, a secondary controversy was that her documents would contain information about sources, whose confidentiality she has so far successfully protected. If someone has already had time to go through the stuff and pass info along to those who were seeking it, damage is done.

This has been a brouhaha in the US for a few days now. People in media, and at CBS in particular, have alleged that it's customary for people to retain their files. Customs might differ between countries. The US has, and continues to have, much stronger traditions of freedom of expression.

Apparently CBS has already modified its position. However, a secondary controversy was that her documents would contain information about sources, whose confidentiality she has so far successfully protected. If someone has already had time to go through the stuff and pass info along to those who were seeking it, damage is done.

My understanding is similar. A journalistic source has a trust relationship with the individual journalist (and maybe their editor), not the news outlet writ large. There are major issues not just with accessing the source, but protecting the source. That’s as big a deal for journalists as it is for police in some cases.

AG James apparently made a social media post to state the amount of Trump's fine, and followed up a day later with one stating a "plus" amount.

And with that died the last shred of credibility of anyone claiming the prosecution isn't politically motivated.

My understanding is similar. A journalistic source has a trust relationship with the individual journalist (and maybe their editor), not the news outlet writ large. There are major issues not just with accessing the source, but protecting the source. That’s as big a deal for journalists as it is for police in some cases.
I'm far from current on the latest precedents, but if I was counsel for a source whose identity was leaked, I would argue that a reporter working for a media outlet often (not always) has to get higher-up OK with withholding the identity of a source (couldn't tell you if this is a general practice or if it varied from outlet to outlet - I suspect any outlet big enough to have a legal department would lean this way). If that's the case, the protection comes not from the journalist but from the entity 1) employing the journalist, and 2) taking the final risk publishing information based on sources they won't name. That could make the outlet liable. Again, I'm no legal beagle, so I also stand to be corrected.

Another fine point is how some outlets say she was "fired" and others say she was "laid off" with others being out processed. For-cause processes may lead to different file handling practices than just being cut like one of the herd being culled because not enough money is being made.

Still, not a good look for the network some still remember this guy gracing ....
Walter_Cronkite_November_1983_gtfy.00866_(cropped).jpg
This has been a brouhaha in the US for a few days now. People in media, and at CBS in particular, have alleged that it's customary for people to retain their files. Customs might differ between countries. The US has, and continues to have, much stronger traditions of freedom of expression ...
Yup - but also remember, like private media companies here, CBS's main deliverable is entertainment/"eyes on" and its job is to make money, so I gotta wonder how that was juggled with the different concepts of "protecting sources" in this case.

I'm far from current on the latest precedents, but if I was counsel for a source whose identity was leaked, I would argue that a reporter working for a media outlet often (not always) has to get higher-up OK with withholding the identity of a source (couldn't tell you if this is a general practice or if it varied from outlet to outlet - I suspect any outlet big enough to have a legal department would lean this way). If that's the case, the protection comes not from the journalist but from the entity 1) employing the journalist, and 2) taking the final risk publishing information based on sources they won't name. That could make the outlet liable. Again, I'm no legal beagle, so I also stand to be corrected.

Another fine point is how some outlets say she was "fired" and others say she was "laid off" with others being out processed. For-cause processes may lead to different file handling practices than just being cut like one of the herd being culled because not enough money is being made.

Still, not a good look for the network some still remember this guy gracing ....
View attachment 83376

Yup - but also remember, like private media companies here, CBS's main deliverable is entertainment/"eyes on" and its job is to make money, so I gotta wonder how that was juggled with the different concepts of "protecting sources" in this case.

Also, the particular terms of the reporter's contract - employee or contracted self-employed?

AG James apparently made a social media post to state the amount of Trump's fine, and followed up a day later with one stating a "plus" amount.

And with that died the last shred of credibility of anyone claiming the prosecution isn't politically motivated.
Have we gone beyond "apparently" yet and do we have some solid evidence that the "last shred of credibility" has died?

Asking for some friends.

🍻

Either this is her on X, or it isn't.
Now I know what you are talking about, but the post merely expresses the total amount of the judgement owed including interest. See here:

Pre and post judgement interest is a normal part of the laws which govern trials in most jurisdictions. They are part of the judicial order and not the result of some whim of the AG. The court decides what the basic judgement is, the appropriate rate and pre-judgement rate is calculated and added to the basic amount and then the total judgement is entered. Thereafter the total judgement bears interest at the prescribed rate. There are formulas as to the interest rate and how the interest is to be calculated. I'm not an expert on New York State but a cursory examination tells me the rate there is 9% per annum as stated in the article.

There's nothing to see here folks. Move on.

🍻

I suspect there is more going here.

Haley might be holding on in some vain hope but I think it’s more than that.

The RNC is apparently fast tracking some internal rules before Trump becomes the nominee. Something to do with not covering his legal fees outside of anything involving his run for presidency.

It could be that reason why she is staying on and being encouraged by some quarters to do so.

Back