• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

a couple questions...

Rifter

Inactive
Reaction score
hello. first off, i rummaged around thru the site a bit and managed to answer most of my questions (i'm sorry if it wasn't enough), but i'd really like some answers and opinions from y'all.

i'm a few courses shy of an associates degree in criminal justice, would it be beneficial to try and join up for aid to pay the rest off, or should i get more schooling done and try to apply? (money is in short supply at the moment)

i wanted some help in deciding what trade to pursue.. i'm very interested in helping/protecting others, programming and hacking (no cracking* experience, tho) and helicopters, either flying them or the mechanics behind them. in your opinion, what do you think would be a good fit for me?
*http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/hacking-and-cracking

my current resume is mostly working in electronics stores or as a cook at restaurants. i don't have french as a second language but with some courses i could have greek as a second spoken language. i don't excel at any sports other than soccer, but i've years of experience playing paintball, some team based video games played at a tournament level and experience as a musician playing in a band in front of live audiences. i figure these would help show the teamwork aspect of my hobbies.
would i just want to put the basics, or would the recruiter give a hoot about any of this stuff?

if i did the physical test and everything except the run (i should be able to pass it tho) passed with flying colours, would i be able to explain to them that i'm trying to quit smoking or swap to chew and that everything aside from my lungs is fine or is that an instant fail?

that's about it. thanks for reading (this essay) and i look forward to any insight or opinions. :)

Well I think you still have lots of searching to do on the site. Most of your questions have been answered. As for your interests, they seem pretty broad. An interest in electronics and lead you to many trades in either the Army, Navy, or Air Force, so you'd have to think about each job (forces.ca) and how you might enjoy it. I get the impression you're more interested in the Air Force? As for the smoking, plenty  of people in the forces smoke, and so long as it hasn't caused any problems yet it shouldn't be an issue. Quitting smoking will always be a good thing though, even outside of health reasons (which, being a cancer researcher, I can tell you are many- regardless of how you're getting your tobacco). They're more concerned about recent/frequent illegal drug use.

Well I think you still have lots of searching to do on the site. Most of your questions have been answered.
sorry if this is duplicate question # 1000001. it's just a lot of information to go thru at once and i had hoped someone more knowledgeable in this area might want to help. thank you for answering.

I get the impression you're more interested in the Air Force?
yeah, i definitely am interested in the air force. i was just curious if there was anyone who had similar interests as me and found something else they really liked, just for some comparison.

You're all over the place;

Cook
JAG officer
IT computer nerd stuff
Signals (radios)
Pilot
Mechanic
-flight engineer

You need to pick a starting point. Want a suggestion?
1. Join the infantry for 3 years then transfer to something with computers or radios(signals) and specialize down that road.
2. Join something with radios/computers/techy smart stuff and then apply for CANSOF (special forces) after 4 years as a supporter.
3. Look into becoming an officer in the JAG department (military lawyers) and defend me if and when I need it.

i should be able to pass it tho
That's a bullshit mentality. There are a literal TON of people who failed to get into the Canadian Forces because they thought they were in good enough shape and "should be able to" pass the run.
Start running today and test yourself.

Rifter said:
(i should be able to pass it tho)

Famous last words.

would i be able to explain to them that i'm trying to quit smoking or swap to chew and that everything aside from my lungs is fine

No. You either pass everything or you fail. There is not "but".

I would go talk to a recruiter at the recruitment center. You can tell them interests, education you have, and your background and they can have good insight into what you would do well at, and what you would be accepted into. Depending on whether you want to be an officer or enlisted, a recruiter can suggest things that you qualify for. (you might want to do something with IT, but you might lack the education for it, although that's more in terms of officer trades) Being that you are only a couple of credits short of your associates degree, the idea of ROTP (thinking to your comment of paid education) might not work; they usually require that you have a couple years left, as opposed to a couple courses. One suggestion in relation to that would be to look into the reserves. They offer part time employment, and they do have a program for funding for some education. You do have broad interests and experiences, which can work to your advantage, but a recruiter knows best. (if you're not near a recruitment center, you can call the National center as well)

In terms of fitness, I would start working out more. Although, I know lots of people that aren't "into" team sports that do fine, they just ensure that they excel in other fitness areas. Does this answer anything? I hope so.

That's a bullshit mentality. There are a literal TON of people who failed to get into the Canadian Forces because they thought they were in good enough shape and "should be able to" pass the run.
Start running today and test yourself.

hmm.. i say "should" not to brag or anything, but because i'd be able to pass those times a few years ago. i don't know how badly smoking has effected my lungs yet, but i can still play soccer and paintball well enough. worse comes to worse i swap over to chew again.
you're right tho, i need to start running consistently again.

Pilot
Mechanic
IT computer nerd stuff
JAG officer

those all sound good, and i didn't even consider the jag officer one. i don't think my education will get me into an officer position at the momment tho. i'll look into them when i visit the recruiter.

a couple of credits short of your associates degree, the idea of ROTP (thinking to your comment of paid education) might not work

mhmm.. but that's of an associates degree. i want to go further with my education, you don't suppose they'd help me in that department do you? i'll ask them in person either way.

you might want to do something with IT, but you might lack the education for it

i would have no problems switching my education. if it means i can help my country- right on. bonus points for being transferable to civilian jobs if i choose to switch down the line.

thanks for the posts. i appreciate it.

You need to read more and post less.

You have been given good advice. Quit trying to qualify what you said previously and just heed the advice. Full stop.

Rifter said:
i don't think my education will get me into an officer position at the momment tho.

I think you're right.

Following direction, like the one's given in the Site Guidelines (you read those, right?), about capitalization, grammar and spelling, is probably another big thing that you should think about.

Milnet.ca Staff

If you've only been smoking a couple years now, stop being retarded, and friggin' quit. That is the single best thing you can do for your own health and physical fitness right now. Particularly since you're showing up here expressing doubt on that specific account.

Back