• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A claim on fame

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with Fair Dealings, etc.

PETERBOROUGH EXAMINER > EDITORIAL

A claim on fame

Editorial - Friday, August 31, 2007 @ 00:00

Re "Van Doos earned title" (Letter, Aug. 22) -

In order to explain why the Royal 22 Regiment (Van Doos) deserve the title "famed" ahead of the Royal Canadian Regiment (RCR) and the Patricia Pats (PPCLI), Gordon Young omitted the accomplishments of the PPCLI and RCR. As stated by Mr. Young, the RCR were formed in 1883.

The RCR has been involved since its formation in every force of arms involving Canada, including the Boer War, First World War, Second World War, Korea, peace keeping missions and Afghanistan.
The PPCLI was the first Canadian regiment to enter the line in the First World War. Its members saw their first action in February 1915, the first trench raid of the war.

The Van Doos certainly did not see more fighting or give a better account of itself than the RCR or the Pats in the First World War. All three units gave a good account of themselves in the Second World War. In fact I believe all three were at Ortona in the Italian campaign.

The Pats were the first to fight in Korea, followed later by the RCR and the Royal 22. At Kap'yong the PPCLI was awarded a Presidential Citation, the first Canadian unit to receive it (perhaps the only). The Patricias were involved in the Medak Pocket battle, a 15-hour line fight with Croat forces. The Pats were protecting Serb civilians.

All three regiments have been involved in peace keeping. The RCR and the Pats have been fighting in Afghanistan. It is now the Van Doos turn. I had no intention of slagging the Van Doos. I just don't believe they are more deserving of the word "famed" than are the RCR or PPCLI.

GARY HARROD

RR 1, Warsaw

Kinda says it like it is

I have heard each of the 3 regular infantry regiments called the same thing while they've been deployed: famed. Each one has their moments to be proud of which are without a doubt something that has gone into the history books. I've read about Medak, I've read about Kap'yong and Ortona among others, and each regiment has the right to be equally proud of their history. This includes militia regiments.

the PPCLI was awarded a Presidential Citation, the first Canadian unit to receive it (perhaps the only).
Not quite the only. IIRC CANSOFCOM was awarded the citation a few years ago for actions with the SOF coalition during the opening months of the Afghan campaign.

I've always assumed it was the news media that decided the R22eR were "famous" though I could never figure why (and still cannot).  It seems to me that anyone who knows the Canadian army would see all three regular force infantry regiments with equal celebrity status.  Those who suggest one is more famous than any other just come across as ignorant of the military .... or perhaps a member of a supposed more famous regiment.

uncle-midget-boyd said:
Not quite the only. IIRC CANSOFCOM was awarded the citation a few years ago for actions with the SOF coalition during the opening months of the Afghan campaign.
CANSOFCOM did not exist back in 2001/2002.

Courtesy of Google:

Results 1 - 10 of about 3,110 for "famed van doos".
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,930 for "storied van doos".

Results 1 - 2 of 2 for "famed royal canadian regiment" (actually, one page doesn't include the phrase, the other is questioning the absence of the phrase in the media)
Your search - "storied royal canadian regiment" - did not match any documents.

Results 1 - 2 of 2 for "storied princess patricia's".
Results 1 - 4 of 4 for "famed princess patricia's".

I found a link to the press release about the unit (JTF2) that was awarded the citation in June of last year.

http://www.dnd.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=1938

On December 7 2004, the President of the United States presented the Presidential Unit Citation to the Commander of the Joint Special Operations Task Force – SOUTH (JSOTF-SOUTH) for its success during operations in Afghanistan from October 2001 until April 2002. Canada’s JTF 2 was one of several international units in JSOTF-SOUTH who have been formally presented with this citation.

Back