• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

8 Apr 07 - Sgt Donald Lucas, Cpl Brent Poland, Cpl Aaron Williams, Cpl Chris Stannix (PLF), Pte Kevin Kennedy, Pte David Greenslade - 2 RCR

DND NEWS RELEASE

News Release
Names of five Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan released
CEFCOM NR–07.007 - April 8, 2007

OTTAWA – The names of five of the six Canadian soldiers killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan on April 8, 2007 are as follows:

Sergeant Donald Lucas, 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Gagetown, N.B.;

Corporal Christopher Paul Stannix, a Reservist from the Princess Louise Fusiliers, based in Halifax, N.S.;

Corporal Aaron E. Williams, 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment;

Private Kevin Vincent Kennedy, 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment; and

Private David Robert Greenslade, 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment.

At the request of the family, the name of the sixth soldier killed is being withheld temporarily.

The soldiers were killed when an improvised explosive device detonated near their LAV-III armoured vehicle. The incident occurred at approximately 13:30 hrs Kandahar time on April 8, approximately 75 km west of Kandahar City, near the border between Helmand and Kandahar provinces.

The incident occurred as Canadian soldiers from the 2nd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment Battle Group were conducting convoy security operations as part of Operation ACHILLES, a major International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) operation underway in the south of Afghanistan. Launched in early March in the Sangin region, Operation ACHILLES is a combined effort between the Afghan national security forces and NATO’s ISAF aimed at creating the security conditions required for reconstruction efforts to progress at a faster pace in Helmand province. Canadian troops from Joint Task Force Afghanistan have played an important supporting role in Operation ACHILLES preventing Taliban insurgents from reinforcing or fleeing the area of Sangin valley.

In the incident, a Canadian soldier suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries from the blast and plans are currently being made to transfer him to the U.S. military medical facility at Landstuhl, Germany. Three other soldiers, one of whom was lightly injured and two who had not suffered any physical injuries from the incident were released from the hospital at Kandahar Airfield on April 8.

Aw God.  :-\ What a terrible thing to have happen any time, never mind Easter.

Their deaths will not be in vain. My thoughts to the families, and to those recovering physically and mentally from this.

May the Fallen Rest in Peace, may the Wounded have a speedy and full recovery, and that all their families have strength in this time of loss.

I knew Chris Stannix as well - great guy, fantastic soldier. I saw him just before he went over - he was full of plans for the future and excitement for the mission. A very sad day.

RIP

RIP Troops  :salute: :cdn:

Pte Kennedy, I will miss you, I remember teaching you in Meaford and you were a great student and soldier...

Im home on leave...

these guys were in my platoon, and they were all excellent soldiers. Im so proud to have served with every one of them.

You will be avenged.

Pro Patria  :cdn:

RIP

My condolences to family and friends and to all those serving.

one of the six Corporal. Aaron E Williams....Is my cousin...R.I.P. Aaron you will be missed.....And also R.I.P. to the others that died with him.....I plan on going to the funeral hopefully I can get down there...He was supposed to have a 2 week leave from over there coming here to Oakville for my aunts birthday or something would of been the first time I have seen him since well before he joined the Army...So many questions to never to be answered....This made me want to join more then I already do...My brother is joining also and this made him want his arm to hurry up and heal Easter wont be so happy anymore...And on the 90Th anniversary of Vimy Ridge to....April is not the CF's month.....Again Rest In Peace Aaron :'(

:cdn: :salute:  My condolences go out to all the friends and families of those brave fellows who gave their lives on Easter Sunday and the 90th anniversary of Vimy.  I am thinking of you all and those who are currently serving overseas.  A very sad day.

Back