• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

.50 cal sniper rifle

Thanks for reviving a 3 year old topic....

well u know us Brit's takes along time 4 intell 2 arrive from else where lol only we have just received a shipment due 2 there effectiveness in recent combat evaluation (we r getting allot of American hard ware lately a? wah-64 and also m16-ar.15 due 2 the fact the the sa80 is bout as good as a air rifle at a fair! just thought i would look through 2 see what other dirt monkeys thought of it....

lol thet made me 4 killing not for talking .lol.................

They made me get my Grade 10 before they made me... uhhh... 4 killing? :skull:

My buddy picked up an Accuracy International .338 Arctic Warfare Magnum (AWM) that was surplus from the sniper weapon evaluations last year. Let me say punching $6 holes in a paper plate at 1000m (the limit of our local range) gets boring as it is such a balanced weapon it takes the challenge away. And the .50 Big Mac is not a monster to fire, infact it is not much worse than the .338 lapua, and allot easier on the shoulder than .600 Nitro Express. God damn though you want plugs with both of them.

cpl forrester said:
so all in all the barrnet nice weapon but only in the look and range ! its only as good as the man behind it....give me a h&k psg any and every time 10mm effective at 800m no other sniper weapon can beat it at the moment

The PSG1 while accurate is not the most accurate system out there.Just about any decent bolt action sniper rifle can equal or better it's performance with ease.The fact that it is a semi auto is reason enough that it will never be as accurate as a bolt gun,simply put there is too much going on  when a shot is fired for it to have consistant shots all the time,factor in the weakest element,the human performance goes down further still.
So get a grip and do some reasearch before posting.

10mm effective at 800m? If you are talking groupings with a semi in .308? I doubt it.

H&K makes some fine weapons, but 10mm groups at 800m is a tad bit hard to believe out of a semi-auto or a bolt gun in 7.62mm for that matter.

Without taking the math out to too many decimal pints for us slow guys...  Lets for augments sake say a "good gas-gun" will do 1/2 MOA, not many turn-bolts will do that either, but we're just doing a little math... (Plus I'm doing the metric thing tonight...)

just for starters if my memory serves 1 MOA at 100m is 2.9cm (to late for any more decimal points...)
so a rifle capable of 1/2 moa @ 100m is groups in the 1.45cm size range...
so at 800m that same rifle would shoot about 11.6cm...

But a H&K PSG-1 will shoot 10mm groups at 800m?
Damn I'm saving up some cash for one of those...

Oh and by the way what rifle range can I shoot on that the winds will let me shoot 10mm groups?
I wanna move there....

correct me if my math skills are mistaken, please.

If you're looking for the McMillan Tactical 50 try looking on the McMillan website, just google it.

Secondly in response to the recoil, that's insane.  I appreciate we need something for vehicle interdiction and long-range counter sniper tasks, but did anyone ever consider using a 338 magnum or a custom round like a 338 or 50 casing necked down to 30 cal? 

If you're more interested in tactical weapons platforms, check out this website:

www.snipersparadise.com

They've got lot's of magasine articles, specs, pics, etc... :soldier:

The recoil of the Tac-50 is not that bad at all. I would put it on par with a 12 ga 3 inch magnum, the muzzle break does quite a good job on taking the forces of the felt recoil away. The biggest problem is dealing with the over pressure espescially if you are to the sides of the rifle. The worst .50cal rifle I have fired is the AI .50 that ting is just a beast for anyone around it.

Back