• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

48th Highlanders Museum Looking for Photo's of KIA

Michael O'Leary said:
You are imagining lineages again.  The official connection through perpetuation only started when it was authorized after the war.

I only talked about perpetuation as not being relevant.  The Winnipeg Rifles raised 5 battalions who went to war with a Winnipeg Rifles cap badge and identity.  All but one were disbanded.  The Royal Highlanders raised 3 battalions all 3 of which fought as Royal Highlanders.

OK Dennis, if these regiments "raised" battalions, they why didn't they go overseas as the 1st Bn, 2nd Bn, etc.?

Oh, wait! I know!  It is because the Canadian Militia and the Canadian Expeditionary Force were two separate and distinct organizations.  They couldn't be battalions of those regiments because those regiments were not in the CEF.

And your imaginary history does not make it so.

Perpetuation started after the war.  The coincidences of cap badge designs and naming were political expedients, but do not establish regimental organizations crossing the Militia and the CEF.

Michael O'Leary said:
OK Dennis, if these regiments "raised" battalions, they why didn't they go overseas as the 1st Bn, 2nd Bn, etc.?

Oh, wait! I know!  It is because the Canadian Militia and the Canadian Expeditionary Force were two separate and distinct organizations.  They couldn't be battalions of those regiments because those regiments were not in the CEF.

And your imaginary history does not make it so.

Perpetuation started after the war.  The coincidences of cap badge designs and naming were political expedients, but do not establish regimental organizations crossing the Militia and the CEF.

I don't disagree with anything you say - except.  A member of the 13th, 42nd, and 73rd Battalions CEF would have considered himself a Royal Highlander.  If not I've read a lot of stuff from delusional veterans and historians.  Ditto the Winnipeg Rifles and 48th Highlanders.

Dennis Ruhl said:
I don't disagree with anything you say - except.  A member of the 13th, 42nd, and 73rd Battalions CEF would have considered himself a Royal Highlander.  If not I've read a lot of stuff from delusional veterans and historians.  Ditto the Winnipeg Rifles and 48th Highlanders.

The local and emotional connections used in recruiting those units, and the official history and lineage of those units, are two different things.  You have been repeatedly attempting to imply that the two are the same.  The histories may not have been delusional, but the authors were most likely working with the same ignorance of the official unit connections that you choose to demonstrate yourself each time you misrepresent the facts.  Having those emotional connections is not a bad thing, when the factual basis is also known and understood.  Without the factual basis, it's simply propagating mythology.

You do not help anyone understand the history when you repeatedly try to brush away the facts and refuse to separate the reality from the emotive oral history. Perpetuating myth is not helping to build a stronger understanding of our military history.

If it will help, here are the current official perpetuations taken from the DHH website:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/ol-lo/vol-tom-3/par1/doc/aafer-rbagc-ann-1b.pdf

Old Sweat said:
If it will help, here are the current official perpetuations taken from the DHH website:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/ol-lo/vol-tom-3/par1/doc/aafer-rbagc-ann-1b.pdf

Hopefully that will help this perpetuate debate on perpetuity end perpetually.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Hopefully that will help this perpetuate debate on perpetuity end perpetually.

dileas

tess

It does, by showing quite clearly:

15th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, perpetuated by the 48th Highlanders of Canada in accordance with General Order 76 of 1920 and General Order 132 of 1921.

(Some of the noted orders, however, will also require an understanding of later amalgamations and unit names to link the specified General Orders to the current day units.)

I'll stop mucking up this thread with tangents and start a new thread in the future.

My great grandfather was a Scot from Banff who died serving with the 15th Bt 48th Highlanders in WW1.

He died of wounds in a German POW camp. I think he was gassed.

I have his death certificate, and what, I hope is a photo of him. I will scan and post that.

His Army Number was 27357, and he was a corporal (wrongly listed as pvt on his death certificate.

My eldest daughter is off to Belgium on Wednesday and I have asked her to look for his name on the Menin Gate. Her school are going to Ypres and Messines.

If anyone could provide more details I would be most grateful. Whilst I never saw active service, I was a Lt in 4th Royal Irish Ranger (TA), so I think I appreciate what these young men sacrificed. I am very proud of our family service history.

kind regards

Bruce Murray

Battlewagonsbruce said:
My great grandfather was a Scot from Banff who died serving with the 15th Bt 48th Highlanders in WW1.

This may help.

A General Introduction to Researching Canadian Soldiers of the First World War 
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/95773.0.html

Back