• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron Is Reborn

Fingers crossed, its listed as a posting preference for me. Loved the Chinook rides in Kandahar, too bad it wasn't Canadian ones then.

Congrats to the new CO.  Easily the person most deserving of the role!

Jim Seggie said:
My favorite things to fly in are the Chinook and the Herc.

Buses with rotors and wings. Love em. ;D

Parachuting is safer! Statistics don't lie.

However, I do agree that the shortest distance between two points is: a helicopter.  :nod:

Are there any Chinooks available out west? (apart from the well known weather phenomenon after which the aircraft is named, that is...)

daftandbarmy said:
the well known weather phenomenon after which the aircraft is named, that is...)

It is named after Pacific North-west Native Americans, in keeping with US policy of naming their army helos after native american tribes (with one exception), contained in Army Regulation 70-28.

We just conveniently plagiarized  ;D

CDN Aviator said:
It is named after Pacific North-west Native Americans, in keeping with US policy of naming their army helos after native american tribes (with one exception), contained in Army Regulation 70-28.

We just conveniently plagiarized  ;D

Ah, of course. A US Marine once told me it was named after alot of hot air, like the DoD produces on a regular basis....  ;D

I feel that it's appropriate to reincarnate 450 Sqn. Apart from the unfortunate number that was chosen for the squadron back in nineteen seventy something when the thoroughly incompetent people in charge of selecting a squadron number to replace the somewhat bewildering title of 1 Transport Helicopter Platoon picked an already used number. 450 Sqn had been an Australian Sqn during WW2 so they had to have been working late into the night sifting through history in order to pick a squadron number that not only had nothing to do with Canada but was at the same time hijacked from our friends in Australia who are noted for their not very understanding way of accepting thoroughly incompetent people.

All of that fits in perfectly with the half asked way that 1 THP and  later 450 Sqn operated in the no mans land that existed between the army and air force during the years that they served. Typically the unit was not very well accepted by the army as it had some rather peculiar ways that set it apart from a typical ground pounding unit.
Little things like taking the weather into consideration when planing a support mission. The GPs considered that operating under the cover of any sort of meteorological events such as blizzards or huge thunderstorms would give them the perfect cover that was needed to operate without being detected. I will not even begin to put together a commentary on the downside of this sort of use of the forces of nature to turn the tide in favor of our troops.
The air force of that era was pretty much a fighting force that preferred to operate from well established bases with lots of infrastructure and no shortness of comfort features. They pretty much believed that if anyone wanted to live under canvas and eat questionable food such as canned chili con carnie and sleep in fields with sheep the they were quite welcome to do so but please leave us out of the game.
I am only vaguely aware of the navy's view of all of this as they for the greater part were either being tossed about on the great brine or trying to find  safety in that great port on the Rideau.
I spent many years with 1 THP and 450 Sqn and apart from a few bouts of absolute terror I thoroughly enjoyed my years in no mans land.
One of the greatest benefits of being there was that no one else knew or much cared what we were doing so we were not much bothered by anyone.

why is there no reference that I have been abl to find of 450SQN W stationed in Edmonton in the late 60ès and early 70èsÉ Or even of 1 AFMS sqn.  Both of these sqnès are important to the history of 450 HT sqn station in CFB Edmonton!
As an ex-member of this Sqn I am a little frustrated/miffed of no reference. As well is there no 450 SQN Association, I see there is for other SQN.

Combining the official 'short' history of 450 Sqn on DND's Directorate of History and Heritage with some information available at several websites, including this site by JF Chalifoux, trace 450 Squadron (Det) Namao's period of service from 20 May 1970 until 1 Jan 1979, when 450 (Det) became 447 THS.  I understand that a 450 Sqn Association has informally existed, but may be being formalized in the near future, given the unit's reactivation in 2012.  There is a 450 (T) Hel Sqn Facebook Page started before the squadron was reactivated, that serves as a focal point for past and present members of the unit to stay in touch.

Regards
G2G

Wedges are not that bad and many a Aviator still manged to get laid wearing one

person-Guy-Gibson%2527s-dog.jpg

Back