• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron Is Reborn

HeavyHooker said:
Be careful what you wish for!  The Aussie CH 47's have difficulty getting and keeping their hours since it all comes out of the same pot of money from the Army brass.  As being a separate unit but under operational control of the Army, we get the best of both worlds.  The Army cannot easily touch our budget (to do "actual" Army trg, which would definitely be priority over aircrew trg/cross country trips/airshows/etc) but they still maintain control over us as an attachment when it counts - exercise and deployments.

Look, also, at the US Army Aviation Branch and its status within the US Army as a whole. And some of us would prefer to be doing "actual" Army training, ie supporting ground units, than cross-country trips and airshows as that is our reason for being. Regardless of the service-of-ownership, anybody's budget could be slashed by higher HQ or the government-of-the-day.

If our Tac Hel officers moved up the Canadian Army chain-of-command, occupying their share of the positions currently held by ground-bound guys only, we would have considerably more influence there.

A Canadian Army Aviation Corps officer could be Commander Canadian Army just as easily as any other Army officer.

I am beyond glad to hear this news. I'm uncertain if I voiced this story here or not; so I'll write a bit of it again.

Seeing 6 chinooks coming across the red desert in formation then dropping into a VERY VERY hot LZ was one of the most touching things I've ever seen. Skids down scraping across the LZ as troops ran aboard; bullets and RPG still flying. It was a hell of a day for us after losing men and a non stop firefight after the incident. Watching the light guys extracted by these brave men and women in flight was amazing.

Flying out on a freedom flight on a Canadian Chinook at the completion of my tour was a awesome way to watch my FOB disappear below.

Loachman said:
A Canadian Army Aviation Corps officer could be Commander Canadian Army just as easily as any other Army officer.
May as well; we let a Loggie have a go at it.  >:D

Journeyman said:
May as well; we let a Loggie have a go at it.  >:D

Not to mention Signals and Engineer officers:

Lieutenant-General S.F. Clark (late RCCS) 1958-1961
Lieutenant-General G. Walsh (late RCE)    1961-1964

They were at least Combat Support officers (and before my time ;) )

Journeyman said:
They were at least Combat Support officers (and before my time ;) )

Actually, before your time, there were no such fancy-dancy designations; corps, and the officers and soldiers in them, were either arms (RCAC, RCA, RCE, RCCS, RCIC) or services (all the rest).  :D

RCE and RCCS were arms? Scandalous (especially the Jimmies!)

The RCE and RCCS were considered both arms and services, as they had roles that fell into each function.

And to make the Technoviking happy, the RCAC, RCA and RCIC were arms, but the RCAC and RCIC were also combat arms.

Loachman said:

As opposed to now, where they top out as Chief of Staff, Land Operations.

And some of us would prefer to be doing "actual" Army training, ie supporting ground units, than cross-country trips and airshows as that is our reason for being

Agreed.  As an ex-combat arms soldier I fully agree that the Tac Hel community does not do enough "actual Army" training as you've termed it.  Every time we go to the range, I have to show pilots how their 9mm pieces all fit together!  Most of the ACs we had over seas acquired all of their knowledge of infantry patrols from reading "Bravo 2-0" when they were in BOTC.

Look, also, at the US Army Aviation Branch and its status within the US Army as a whole

Again, fully in agreement with adapting several aspects of the American System.  As a FE, their system (that we have been operating under thus far) is far superior to what we are adapting but that is another thread and it is not going to change.  Also, the Flying WO system makes sense and should also be adapted here.  It won't be but there you go.  As far as a pilots status within the US Army as a whole, ask some of their senior guys (CW5 or Sr Officer level) if they have anything close to the say that their Combat Arms equals do.  I can not see our Cbt Arms types being any different.  Within the RCAF, pilots have a lot of say but within the Canadian Army?

I do prefer my Green DEUs and Army Mess kit however...  ;D

Old Sweat said:
And to make the Technoviking happy, the RCAC, RCA and RCIC were arms, but the RCAC and RCIC were also combat arms.

It makes sense, as the RCA needs to move forward for showers and laundry...  ;D

;)

HeavyHooker said:
Agreed.  As an ex-combat arms soldier I fully agree that the Tac Hel community does not do enough "actual Army" training as you've termed it.  Every time we go to the range, I have to show pilots how their 9mm pieces all fit together!  Most of the ACs we had over seas acquired all of their knowledge of infantry patrols from reading "Bravo 2-0" when they were in BOTC.

Just to clarify, "actual Army" training (which you used first, by the way) means, to me, not just the basic skills that you mention, but airmobile operations, recce/surveillance, close combat attack etcetera - employment of hels and crews in their primary jobs. I would rather see fewer hours flown on individual helicopters, either basic crew proficiency or move-X-platoon-from-GR-A-to-GR-B-in-four-lifts, and more time and effort spent planning multi-helicopter tactical missions in support of an all-arms ground force within a fully-developed scenario. It might take a week to organize and plan and only see an hour or two flown per machine on the last day, but those hours would be quality time.

HeavyHooker said:
As far as a pilots status within the US Army as a whole, ask some of their senior guys (CW5 or Sr Officer level) if they have anything close to the say that their Combat Arms equals do.  I can not see our Cbt Arms types being any different.  Within the RCAF, pilots have a lot of say but within the Canadian Army?

The US Army Warrant Officer Pilot concept does not really match anything in Canadian or Commonwealth practice and history. US Army Warrant Officers have some of the privileges of Officers (membership in Officers' Clubs for one), but are not entitled to a salute and do not occupy command positions. They form the bulk of the drivers' positions, which leaves Officers to fill command positions. The Commonwealth equivalent to US Army WO pilots are NCO Pilots. Officers are then no longer high-priced drivers, but Flight, Squadron, Regimental (British) or Platoon, Company, Battalion, (Aviation) Brigade (US), and higher commanders and Staff Officers at all levels in their respective Armies, on par with all other Officers.

So, yes, Canadian Army Aviation Corps Officers could have just as much "say" in the Canadian Army as a whole as their counterparts do elsewhere.

One of the advantages of standing 450 Squadron up is that its Colours are conveniently safeguarded in the 1 CAD HQ lobby, ready for Comd 1 CAD to hand them to a trusted keeper for the transit to Petawawa.

Concur with others that the historical linkages between the heavy (for the day) Army aviation of 1 Transport Helicopter Platoon's Voyageurs within the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps (as well as their service in the post-unification CF's 450 Heavy Transport Helicopter Squadron) with the Chinooks that followed in Air Command's 450 Transport Helicopter Squadron in 1975 onwards are as important, if not even more so, as a unit having battle honours that in very little, if any manner relate to the unit's current (to be) raison d'être.

As a historical note, the 4XX blocking of Squadron numbers originated from the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP).  While Canada was allocated 400-449 and Australia with 450-499, by 1968 the BCATP ceased to exist and there was no implied requirement to adhere to any previous conventions.  The situation was quite simply that all the other 4XX`s were taken at the time - recall even 447 Sqn was a BOMARC Squadron in Quebec, not yet the re-numbered 450 (Det) Namao.  The 450 Squadron "conflict" per se between RAAF and CF squadrons was not even known until years after 450 Squadron's activation.

While many of those who have served with 450 Squadron in the past may acknowledge some of the logic presented by others as to why another Squadron number might have been selected, it is reassuring to know that the service of RCAF CH147Fs within 450 Tactical helicopter Squadron will retain the spirit of joint service between aviators, the Army and the CF.

By Air to Battle

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
One of the advantages of standing 450 Squadron up is that its Colours are conveniently safeguarded in the 1 CAD HQ lobby, ready for Comd 1 CAD to hand them to a trusted keeper for the transit to Petawawa.

C

Regards
G2G

Slight tangent

Thank goodness that it can be moved out of there.  There is a great deal of RCAF heritage hiding in that lobby that belongs in proper museum that all can have access too.

Good2Golf said:
..... it is reassuring to know that the service of RCAF CH147Fs within 450 Tactical helicopter Squadron will retain the spirit of joint service between aviators, the Army and the CF.
Wow. It's like you read that off of a teleprompter, as part of a campaign/marketting spiel. 

You don't have any particular interest in the squadron, do you?

:pop:

Journeyman said:
Wow. It's like you read that off of a teleprompter, as part of a campaign/marketting spiel. 

You don't have any particular interest in the squadron, do you?

:pop:

:ditto:

Inquiring minds want to know! 

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=4205

KINGSTON, Ont. - The reactivation of 450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron, which is to be the home of the Canadian Forces’ Chinook Medium-to-Heavy Lift Helicopter, was formalized on May 2, 2012, by an official Canadian Forces order.

As confirmed on May 2, 450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron, under the command of 1 Wing and based in Petawawa, Ontario, will be home to 15 F-Model Chinooks - more modern and capable versions of the D-Model Chinooks recently flown in Afghanistan. 450 Squadron was also the designation of the original RCAF unit which operated Chinook helicopters until the early 1990s, at which time these aircraft were phased out.

“Whether protecting the lives of our soldiers deployed overseas or responding to disasters like floods or ice storms or forest fires here at home, the powerful Chinook will help enable the Canadian Forces to carry out the challenging missions we ask of them,” said the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence. “The Canada First Defence Strategy is concretely increasing the Canadian Forces’ deployability, mobility and flexibility.”

"Delivering on these helicopters is our commitment to putting the safety of our women and men in uniform first." stated Cheryl Gallant, Member of Parliament for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke. "The presence of the 450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron also means a tremendous economic boost to the Upper Ottawa Valley."

With a heavy lift capability to carry up to 40 personnel or 11 363 kilograms of cargo, the F-Model Chinook helicopters and crews of 450 Squadron will increase the operational capability of 1 Wing Kingston, enabling it to respond to the needs of Canadians at home and abroad. The new F-Model Chinook will be able to deploy independently, including to the High Arctic, in part because of its larger fuel tanks.

“I am also very pleased to name Lieutenant-Colonel Duart Townsend as the first Commanding Officer of the reborn 450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron,” said Lieutenant-General André Deschamps, Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force. “I know that LCol Townsend will lead this historic unit with the pride and professionalism that he has clearly shown throughout his extensive experience as a tactical helicopter pilot and staff officer. In fact, he was the very last Chinook pilot to be trained as part of the Canadian Forces’ original 450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron before it was disbanded in 1996.”

The first aircraft is expected to be delivered to Petawawa in June 2013, and 450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron is expected to employ approximately 400 military personnel by 2016. The numerical designation of 450 was originally given to 450 Squadron of the Royal Australian Air Force during the Second World War, which flew under that number honourably from 1941 until 1945. Despite the fact that the Canadian numbers were from 400 to 449, an administrative error caused the number to be re-designated to a Canadian Heavy Transport Squadron. Despite the strange circumstances, the RAAF and CF later met and were united by friendship, experience and the commonalities of military service.

An appropriate formal ceremony will be held in the future to celebrate the official reactivation of 450 Tactical Helicopter Squadron.

..... here's a downloadable copy of the statement if the link above doesn't work.

Good luck with the new squadron, folks!

My favorite things to fly in are the Chinook and the Herc.

Buses with rotors and wings. Love em. ;D

Back