• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

291 R? Will it happen?

is going to be purple w/ reserves augmenting Trinty/Athena/Ships CDSE teams etc.....or just Army CIO??

I was at the briefing here in Ottawa, and from the top guy in the ComRes, no Spec Pay for R291. The 291 dets will be set up in about 5 units, ResEW and Ottawa being 2 of them, I think Montreal,Vancouver and Halifax being the others. I think the Idea is to Supplement for Reg 291's away on postings

The dets in the other cities (other than Ottawa and Kingston) are going to be linguists only AFAIK.

Crow - I doubt that the reservists will augment the CDSE and SSE dets in Halifax and Victoria, but hey, stranger things have happened...there seems to be plenty of willing people to get posted to either coast though.

Never got the brief on R291, but I would be interested in knowing how they plan to go about keeping the linguist dets...they will have to be natural linguists I would suspect, as most language courses take about 2 years.  It will definitely take some dedicated individuals, because there will be a considerable amount of QL3 training to take, and as we all know, the clearances can take forever.  Personally, I welcome the idea of R291ers augmenting the regs, we seem to be getting more and more deployments these days. 

As for the spec pay issue, it has changed now, we don`t immediately receive spec pay when you receive your Cpl`s, you get your spec pay when you complete your QL5.  Don`t know if they are planning on having the same sort of thing for the reservists.

I hear today that they are going to start hiring R291 on April 1st, 2005.

April First is the Stand-to date. and They will be looking for Natural Linguists, which I think will be a tough one to get, because they said they are looking for first-Gen, and the sec process for SA is long as it is, will probably put off a lot of people.

QL3's will be over a 2 summer period, and I believe they'll try to get the 5's in a Mod so R291's can take it over the year. 6's will be w/ Regs.

They're also setting it up so that you can get an acting corporals after your first summer of QL3, so that people w/ the same TI in a 215 trade won't be getting promoted ahead of you. Sounds like a baby want's their bottle move to me though.

291er said:
As for the spec pay issue, it has changed now, we don`t immediately receive spec pay when you receive your Cpl`s, you get your spec pay when you complete your QL5.  

That is how it is with all trades that have a QL 5 unless you are a remuster or have an OJT package.  LCIS is a wierd kettle of fish in that reguards but all other trades work that way unless someone can correct me that they have changed things in the last year (had a lot of time to look these things up in afghanistan, lol)

As far as I know thats true....but that just came into effect this year for our trade, prior to that, as soon as you got your Cpl`s, you got spec pay.

I think that training won't start until 2006. They are screening people starting this summer, April 1 is the earliest that people will be able to 'apply' with the trade actually standing up 1 September.

I'm sure it will take a while to get the Res QL3 crse going....I can't see them loading any reservists on a reg QL3 because they tend to be very fluid in terms of length, can take 6 months, can take a year.  Hopefully they won't make the Reservists do the morse code portion and adapt the Res 3's to be more EW-based.  Time shall tell....

291er said:
I'm sure it will take a while to get the Res QL3 crse going....I can't see them loading any reservists on a reg QL3 because they tend to be very fluid in terms of length, can take 6 months, can take a year. Hopefully they won't make the Reservists do the morse code portion and adapt the Res 3's to be more EW-based. Time shall tell....

Just had a briefing couple weeks ago, about to get another one in April.  Yes it is going to take a while for the QL3 course to be stood up.  They have taken bits and pieces from the regf course and other EW courses and have a rough idea of what they want to teach.  The course as it stands right now will be more EW based with OSQ courses to follow and be available throughout the year.  The Morse Code portion will not be part of the 3's, it is planned as an OSQ.  should have more info concrete info after Apr and we see how many people have OT'd.

Just a little heads up from the RESEW end, information from a Jr Cpl.

R291 was supposed to standup on the 15th, it was delayed 2 weeks. We've had 2 briefings from Cmdr CommRes on the subject, both were heavy into selling it. A majority of the positions are in Ottawa and Kingston, with dets in Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax, and I think Winnipeg. The word on spec pay is that when an R291er is deployed on a class C contract in theatre, they will recieve spec pay, otherwise, they will not. A small victory, which could get us full spec pay in the future. As for R215s being forced into R291, that's not happening. People are being asked a lot, and most people in my unit are pretty clear whether they want to transfer or not. My OT request form is in as of now.

For the experience aspect, most of the SnrNCOs at RESEW have been doing the EW thing for 10 or more years. No lack of experience there, albeit its more centered on the tactical applications, rather than the strategic end.

I see it as a good move, to bring some of us more in line with the job we do. Before, you'd need your R215 training, plus a whole whack of EW courses, some OJT, some at CFSCE to get qualified. Now, its all rolled into 3 summers of training, QL3A (EW), QL3B (SigInt), QL5.

As someone mentioned before, the real issue is the clearances. It took nearly 2 years for mine, and I still need it upgraded. Apparently CSIS has been warned about an influx shortly, which is why they want people to transfer early, to get the upgrades in process so training can commence in 2006.

This R291er thing haunts me everywhere i go, everyone asks about it.  I guess some of the other units haven't been getting the same quality briefs that we have here in Kingston.  In my opinion it is not such a bad thing, it may suck for Res EW in the future b/c 2 EW will be able to get personnel from other units, cutting down on our major job offers, but overall for the COMM Res I think its a good call.  The training isn't going to be detrimental to the troops.  Yes your training will take longer than if you were a Sig Op, but its the same as if you were a Lineman.  Its going to increase the jobs available, and will increase the courses. 

I myself am a SigOp, and will always be a Sig Op.  I have a career in mind and switching trades just doesn't fit into my plans.  As for OTs, I think that as a jr or snr cpl, if you have the time, and are looking for just a continuation of summer employment to pay for school and you want to try something else, then go for it.  If your still early in your career, then this is a good oppurtunuity.  PPL such as myself, who will most likely be moving on to the reg force, or getting our soon, should probably stay where they are and let the ppl that want it or need it fill up the positions. 

We had a bit of a briefing on the R291 trade, and they were looking for people to switch trades.
We were told that if you were to change trades now, you would be able to keep your rank? I know some of our Mcpls were looking into it. Any one else heard about this?

-KaT

Yep, you have a year to OT from the standup date (15 Apr I think it was), to keep your current rank, as they need the higher ranks to fill out the structure.

Just a little something to add for those interested in the R291classification.  A board recently stood up for a week to look at the R291, QL3 qualification.  It included experienced 291ers (jr and snr ncms) and their recommendations are heading up the CoC.  So keep the faith, as recently noted in "The Maple Leaf."  The process is moving ahead.

Cheers...

Sorry to bring this old topic back up.

Here's my situation:
I've made up my mind to join the Reserve and will be heading to 744 (Vancouver) next week to ask a few questions and begin the application process. I've looked over the list of jobs on the CF website many many times and have settled on 291. However, from reading this thread, it looks like R291 isn't available in Vancouver. I believe I would like to go into Reg 291 in the distant future, so doing R291 would be a nice chance for me to check out the trade.

My questions:
1) Can I apply to R291 at the 744 Comm Regt? (since the last post was in 2005)
2) If yes, is it just a linguist position (and what does this mean? mentioned by previous posts)
3) If no, which other trade would you recommend keeping in mind that I may do a component transfer into 291 in the future? Considering transferable skills, problems with CTing to diff trades, repeating training, etc.
I have interest in technology and linguistics
4) If R291 is a possibility, would the lvl 3 security clearance I obtain (however long that will take) be transferable when I get to Reg force?

Thanks for your help

Edit to add: I know I can ask my local unit but I want to be prepared if the trade is indeed not available, then I can do more research on other trades.

1) No, you can only apply to trades that unit has available.
2) R291 is not just a linguist position, however if you have foreign language skills you are a greater assist to the CF and that trade specifically. The details of the position is covered mostly by OPSEC, but the recruiting website should have a decent outline.
3) SigOp would probably have the most direct transferable skills (Signal Theory comes to mind directly), and give you a good set of field skills which most direct-entry 291ers don't get. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but RegF 291ers do SQ while waiting for clearance?)
4) A security clearance is the same whether you're a civvie, a RCMP officer, a Public Servant, or a member of the CF. Expect a 2-3 year wait for Level 3 and higher, since reserves have a lower priority than someone deploying.

Hope that helps!

lucia_engel said:
Sorry to bring this old topic back up.

Here's my situation:
I've made up my mind to join the Reserve and will be heading to 744 (Vancouver) next week to ask a few questions and begin the application process. I've looked over the list of jobs on the CF website many many times and have settled on 291. However, from reading this thread, it looks like R291 isn't available in Vancouver. I believe I would like to go into Reg 291 in the distant future, so doing R291 would be a nice chance for me to check out the trade.

My questions:
1) Can I apply to R291 at the 744 Comm Regt? (since the last post was in 2005)
2) If yes, is it just a linguist position (and what does this mean? mentioned by previous posts)
3) If no, which other trade would you recommend keeping in mind that I may do a component transfer into 291 in the future? Considering transferable skills, problems with CTing to diff trades, repeating training, etc.
I have interest in technology and linguistics
4) If R291 is a possibility, would the lvl 3 security clearance I obtain (however long that will take) be transferable when I get to Reg force?

Thanks for your help

Edit to add: I know I can ask my local unit but I want to be prepared if the trade is indeed not available, then I can do more research on other trades.

1.  No.  772 is the Comm Reserve EW Squadron in Kingston, lots of R291 there; and 763 Comm Regt in Ottawa may have some R291 billets. I very much doubt you'll find something on the west coast.
2.  Unlikely that you would be a linguist, as a R291, unless you already have a language that may be of use to the CF.
3.  If you had to pick one other trade, with the intent of moving to Reg Force 291, it should be as a reserve Int Op.  Otherwise, something technical wouldn't be a bad idea, provided you can do well.
4.  Any security clearance would be transferable within the CF.

Thank you for your advices.

I did a little research here, and it appears Int Ops, even Reserve, aren't usually recruited off the street (expects Combat Arm experience). However, 111 seems to be closely related to 291 so I'll put that as my 1st choice and SigOp 2nd then hope for the best.

During my searches, I found out 6 Int Coy has a Vancouver Det, which is not listed on the CF website (Google did not return any local address or phone number). Does anyone know if it's at the Jericho Garrison as well?

Back