• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

but wait, there is more!

View attachment 78129

No wonder people are becoming more hostile and less tolerant of these different groups, this stuff is being rammed down their throats (no pun intended).
I only have one question.....

What's "Harvey Milk" day?

Milk Glass GIF

So I’m not sure on your guys’ experience, but I’ve managed to live my whole life so far with literally nothing being forced on me from any of this. I mean, I see some stuff with rainbows on it and I see the word ‘pride’ a bit more this time of year but that’s literally it, and it’s not like those things tangibly affect me. I haven’t had to do anything I wouldn’t otherwise do, say anything I wouldn’t otherwise say, or in any other way be imposed upon. I have noticed in the past fifteen years or so it’s way less common to hear someone get called ‘faggot’, and most of us have outgrown saying ‘that’s gay’ as a way to express mild displeasure at some minor inconvenience, but it’s not like those going away are bad things.

So yeah, I’m inclined to think that if anyone feels more intolerant or hostile because of this, that’s a them thing. It sucks that threats to the LGBTQ2+ community necessitate extra policing and security, but the major events themselves pay for that in many jurisdictions- Toronto Pride, for instance, was provided an estimate of 1400 paid duty hours among 90 officers for this year’s event, and the event pays those extra costs. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6853673

Maybe some of you guys are compelled to participate in pride events at work or something… but I suspect you’re not. Usually when I see someone pissed off about what gay rights ‘imposed’ on them, challenging them on it normally boils down to “I don’t get to just pretend these people don’t exist, and I’m no longer able to easily get away with treating them like shit either”.

That’s my observations, anyway.

but wait, there is more!

View attachment 78129

No wonder people are becoming more hostile and less tolerant of these different groups, this stuff is being rammed down their throats (no pun intended).
Assuming most of those dates are self-declared by interest groups or simply announced by some level of government, if they passed unrecognized by you, I or I suspect many people, I guess I'm missing the 'rammed down the throat' element.

BTW, May 5th is Dutch Heritage Day (acknowledged by Canada) and, of course, May 4th is National Star Wars Day. Gird your loins - July 19th is National Hot Dog Day.

Maybe some of you guys are compelled to participate in pride events at work or something… but I suspect you’re not.

I worked Toronto Pride a few times. Always Paid Duty. Didn't come out of the car count.

Gave them the same service and respect as any other special event.

I remember Mayor Lastman riding in the parade in a vintage fire truck. He had his own super-soaker! The crowd was cheering our Mayor Mel.

Assuming most of those dates are self-declared by interest groups or simply announced by some level of government, if they passed unrecognized by you, I or I suspect many people, I guess I'm missing the 'rammed down the throat' element.

BTW, May 5th is Dutch Heritage Day (acknowledged by Canada) and, of course, May 4th is National Star Wars Day. Gird your loins - July 19th is National Hot Dog Day.
Don’t you disparage National Hot Dog Day!

Has to walk the line of keeping everyone under the tent while keeping the CPC electable to the middle.
That gets a lot harder with the fundamentalist/fringe right getting more organized and pushy at the grassroots level.
Not every Van Dorland is going to make procedural mistakes to provide convenient reasons/excuses to push them aside.

The security effort has to increase because the "umbrella" has pulled in some controversial positions. One is the demand that trans-curiosity has to be immediately affirmed rather than given time to see if it works itself out, along with the damage to kids who receive permanent life-altering changes before they can reasonably understand the implications. A second is the increase of overtly sexualized material into kids' arenas (schools, libraries). A third is the encroachment of biological males into women's sports, and the displacement of women elsewhere (eg. "woman of the year"). A fourth is the increasing loss of women's "safe spaces".

They've brought it on themselves. Of course some of them didn't want it in the first place, and increasingly I read indications that increasing numbers don't want to end up in the same historical bin as the eugenicists, and are pushing back. Certainly some lesbians are not pleased that they cannot define themselves as women who prefer women, or are met with hostility if they refuse to have sex with men who have declared themselves "women".

So I’m not sure on your guys’ experience, but I’ve managed to live my whole life so far with literally nothing being forced on me from any of this. I mean, I see some stuff with rainbows on it and I see the word ‘pride’ a bit more this time of year but that’s literally it, and it’s not like those things tangibly affect me. I haven’t had to do anything I wouldn’t otherwise do, say anything I wouldn’t otherwise say, or in any other way be imposed upon. I have noticed in the past fifteen years or so it’s way less common to hear someone get called ‘faggot’, and most of us have outgrown saying ‘that’s gay’ as a way to express mild displeasure at some minor inconvenience, but it’s not like those going away are bad things.

So yeah, I’m inclined to think that if anyone feels more intolerant or hostile because of this, that’s a them thing. It sucks that threats to the LGBTQ2+ community necessitate extra policing and security, but the major events themselves pay for that in many jurisdictions- Toronto Pride, for instance, was provided an estimate of 1400 paid duty hours among 90 officers for this year’s event, and the event pays those extra costs. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6853673

Maybe some of you guys are compelled to participate in pride events at work or something… but I suspect you’re not. Usually when I see someone pissed off about what gay rights ‘imposed’ on them, challenging them on it normally boils down to “I don’t get to just pretend these people don’t exist, and I’m no longer able to easily get away with treating them like shit either”.

That’s my observations, anyway.
Start publicly disagreeing with it and you see how fast your life changes.

Start publicly disagreeing with it and you see how fast your life changes.

Well sure; other individuals, employers, businesses etc are free to exercise their discretion in who they freely associate with, and can sever relationships or repudiate expressed views if they find someone to not be aligned with their own principles. Sometimes people say or do things that quite a few other people take considerable exception to, and they end up facing social censure. Choosing to speak up on an issue is a choice. Like any choice, one should be conscious of potential impacts when making them. Choosing to put yourself out into public discourse taking a contention stand on something means that you’re choosing to draw attention to yourself. If that closes social or employment opportunities, well, that’s just how it goes

So why do we have countless public institutions flying pride flags, using rainbow colouring etc, when it is supposed to be a secular impartial organization?

I know some argue the whole LGBT movement is about love and acceptance, but I would argue it is only about love and acceptance for those who conform to their beliefs.

By the same regard should we start flying/hanging up crosses all over our public institutions? Should we put up islamic moons all over the place? These are all groups which claim to be full of love and acceptance as well, provided you follow their lead. Hell 40% of the population claims to be Catholic so why aren’t we celebrating that?

Wait a second, we did have a period where we went to remove those symbols from public institutions even though the majority at the time wanted to keep them. We did remove the lords prayer from the schools because of only a few at the time that didn’t want it.

I am not religious, I am also not a bigot in regards to who people choose to screw, I really don’t care. Just don’t force it upon me. Taking public institutions and using them to push ideology is wrong no matter what the ideology is.

Otherwise the alternative which they refuse to do is allow every group to be represented in our institutions, which there are plenty of unsavoury groups most of us would not like to see reflected there.

- Toronto Pride, for instance, was provided an estimate of 1400 paid duty hours among 90 officers for this year’s event, and the event pays those extra costs.

I've worked Paid Duty at Toronto Pride in the past. Caribana too.

I appreciated the $$.

Treated them with the same courtesy as we show at the Saint Patrick and Santa Claus parades, festivals, events, etc...

So why do we have countless public institutions flying pride flags, using rainbow colouring etc, when it is supposed to be a secular impartial organization?

I know some argue the whole LGBT movement is about love and acceptance, but I would argue it is only about love and acceptance for those who conform to their beliefs.

By the same regard should we start flying/hanging up crosses all over our public institutions? Should we put up islamic moons all over the place? These are all groups which claim to be full of love and acceptance as well, provided you follow their lead. Hell 40% of the population claims to be Catholic so why aren’t we celebrating that?

Wait a second, we did have a period where we went to remove those symbols from public institutions even though the majority at the time wanted to keep them. We did remove the lords prayer from the schools because of only a few at the time that didn’t want it.

I am not religious, I am also not a bigot in regards to who people choose to screw, I really don’t care. Just don’t force it upon me. Taking public institutions and using them to push ideology is wrong no matter what the ideology is.

Otherwise the alternative which they refuse to do is allow every group to be represented in our institutions, which there are plenty of unsavoury groups most of us would not like to see reflected there.
What has actually, tangibly been forced on you? What’s the thing someone’s making you, personally, do that you otherwise would not have done?

That’s really the only overlap between your post, and my post that you were replying to. The rest seems like you’re participating in a different discussion that I’m not a part of.

Those institutions are secular. Pride flags, etc aren't religious or spiritual.

Um...Christmas? Easter? Those are Statutory Holidays.

Non-Christian groups don't get Stat Holidays for Lunar New Year, Diwali, or Yom Kippur.

Back