• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Conservatives don’t survive their missteps as well as the LPC is the jist. The last para of the article sums it up well. Some people think they will vote against the incumbent and switch at the last minute, cold feet or whatever.

Harper lost because his run was ending. And he was unpopular by then. This is the same situation Trudeau finds himself in.
How much of that is a result of influence ops?

How much of that is a result of influence ops?
I’m not going down that rabbit hole. Influence from many sides internal and external will have an effect. Self inflicted injury as well which I think was and is the CPCs biggest issue.

Even Pierre Poilievre isn’t going with that line of thinking. People should take a cue from that.

I think the CPC is able to gather enough votes to form a majority government, the LPC can go pound sand.

In theory, that's how our style of democracy works. It's one thing to form a minority government, and even that can be seen as the least favorable form of government to have it has to rely on another of the parties just to form that.

But if enough voters for a party in that they form a majority government, that is also the voters telling the other main parties to go pound sand for a few years & come back with something different that may be more appealing.

If the LPC causes enough disruption that the newly formed government can't operate efficiently, especially when that government will be focused on fixing all of the problems the LPC caused in the first place - I think the LPC runs a very real risk of talking itself out of any real relevance for the foreseeable future.

I think most loyal Liberal voters are awake & aware of everything the current LPC has done & is trying to do, and are ready for someone else to be at the helm.

If the LPC causes significant disruption once voted out of office with Trudeau & Freeland still at the helm, it will just multiply the magnitude in which they fall out of favour

Even Pierre Poilievre isn’t going with that line of thinking. People should take a cue from that.
I take that as a more responsible and forward thinking attitude. Otherwise it comes across as excuse-making.

Move forward with a vision and focus on the future - not try to reimagine failures in the past. Learn the lessons, adapt to them and move forward giving a viable alternative to a stale, ethically-challenged/led government.

I take that as a more responsible and forward thinking attitude. Otherwise it comes across as excuse-making.

Move forward with a vision and focus on the future - not try to reimagine failures in the past. Learn the lessons, adapt to them and move forward giving a viable alternative to a stale, ethically-challenged/led government.
Except he is on record as saying he did not question the outcome. It was a direct answer flat out. His stock went up with me a notch when he took that route.

I can imagine that a CPC victory in the next election will lead to a constant barrage of CCP/LPC attacks at every turn.

I imagine that a minority CPC will either not even get to form a Gov or wont last long, and a majority will simply be attacked left, right and centre by the CCP/LPC machine and really be ineffective.
With that said, the CPC with Pierre at the helm has become a very effective opposition.

Or at least seems more effective than they were with O'Toole at the helm.

(Maybe it's just their social media game that's been helping with that perception also, as there are a few YouTube channels with fairly short videos that have become quite popular)

With that said, the CPC with Pierre at the helm has become a very effective opposition.
They need to move from showing that to showing they can govern. I think that is where they may be struggling to make headway.
Maybe. I thought O’Toole was effective enough but he floundered on the campaign. His flip flop on a few things didn’t help.
(Maybe it's just their social media game that's been helping with that perception also, as there are a few YouTube channels with fairly short videos that have become quite popular)
The CPC has been very good at using social media. Probably more than anyone else in Canadian Political history. I would be interested in the reach it has. A case study in that to be sure.

No one can say anything against PP's social media game. It's pretty much unprecedented and his leadership drive showed that.

That being said, he's got an easier slate of issues to be in effective opposition to than O'Toole did.

PP is very good at boiling down complex issues to a soundbite that clicks with average people. He is also good at sidestepping boobytraps laid by the Liberals.

PP is very good at boiling down complex issues to a soundbite that clicks with average people. He is also good at sidestepping boobytraps laid by the Liberals.
None of that matters if, like O'Toole, he is unable to maintain party discipline, presenting a united front and singular vision while also reigning in the 'out there" far right candidates who are more philosophically aligned with the CPC victory spoiler, Mad Max.

A little hard to find recent numbers (I will see if I can find some) but this article discusses the numbers as of last July.

So separatism statistically ex aequo in Alberta and Quebec.

Oddly enough, I think if one simply didn't exist, the other would be less likely to want to separate. Yet if one did separate, I think it would embolden the other to separate as well.

They need to move from showing that to showing they can govern.
Sadly the nature of electoral politics is such that they really won't do that till an election comes around and they present a campaign platform.

So separatism statistically ex aequo in Alberta and Quebec.
Pretty much. But nowhere near Quebec separatism at its height.
Oddly enough, I think if one simply didn't exist, the other would be less likely to want to separate. Yet if one did separate, I think it would embolden the other to separate as well.
Possibly yes.
Sadly the nature of electoral politics is such that they really won't do that till an election comes around and they present a campaign platform.
To an extent. And I agree that campaigns matter. But even still, presenting some alternatives earlier on can still set the stage. Right now it’s just sound bites and slogans. A few ideas but not a lot of details. I think it benefits them more if they can show they are the adults in the room.

Pretty much. But nowhere near Quebec separatism at its height.

Ya I think a coalition government keeping a CPC minority from forming would probably be an extreme for multiplier in that.

And I can't blame them if they did. We lack appropriate representation.

A little hard to find recent numbers (I will see if I can find some) but this article discusses the numbers as of last July.

Everybody wants to separate until they see what territory falls under FN claims or actual territory, and realize they would lose most of the natural resources or actually get divided up into separate chunks.

It's an attractive idea until you look at the reality. Was funny during the 90s listening to QC calling themselves a nation, wanting to separate from Canada, but ignoring the First Nation territories inside QC, and claimiing QC is somehow indivisible.

Everybody wants to separate until they see what territory falls under FN claims or actual territory, and realize they would lose most of the natural resources or actually get divided up into separate chunks.

It's an attractive idea until you look at the reality. Was funny during the 90s listening to QC calling themselves a nation, wanting to separate from Canada, but ignoring the First Nation territories inside QC, and claimiing QC is somehow indivisible.

I don't think you give enough credit to people who just want to blow shit up.

Back