• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

20 meter Beep Test -Merged

ThadoS said:
so to start it's:
Shuttle Run...
Hand grip
Push ups.
sit ups
Chin ups

Is that everything?

To amend even further...there's no chin-up test on the Expres.

one thing that worked for me to get my beep test level up was to download a copy of it onto my ipod.. pace out the 20m and do it a couple times a week. (i'm a huge fan of specificity trg)

i got it off of limewire or whatever... it works..

How do I figure out how to calculate my shuttle run score...

Yes I just did my medical and am waiting for a decision....what is level 4.5...is this 20M in 4.5 seconds...

tsokman said:
Yes I just did my medical and am waiting for a decision....what is level 4.5...is this 20M in 4.5 seconds...

Here's a thought......read this thread.

tsokman said:

No.  Read through the thread and you should find your answer.  The run (back and forth) is 20 metres.  You have to run (and turn around) only on the beeps.  After so many times (4-5 depending on level) you will hear "Level (number) completed."  The timings get faster as the levels go up.  Level 4 is approx a total of 640m in a little over 4 minutes and Level 5 is about 820m in just over 5 minutes.  Figure Level 4.5 will be in between those two.  However, strive to get a higher level than what you require.

Are you going Reserve or Reg F?  If you are going Res, you will do your test prior to BMQ and it will probably be a step test and not the 20 MSR.

You really need to start searching and reading threads instead of asking questions that have been answered already.

This thread is basically like this thread: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/89899/post-916405;topicseen#new ..... for those who end up here and not there. (even though this has been inactive for a few months sorry!)

I remember doing the beep test in gym class. It works like this, there are 2 cones 20m apart and there will be a CD player playing beeps that speed up, the objective it to run when you hear the first beep and make it to the other side before the second beep. Relatively easy is you pace yourself, I personally got a level 9.

Hi everyone,

I know it's a slight bit of necro-posting but in reading over some of these boards, I've gotten myself confused regarding what constitutes a level in the shuttle run. I know it was stated before, but I wanted to double check; it doesn't seem to make mathematical sense.

Let's use the level 6 minimum for instance. Is someone said to have achieved that when they reach level 6.1 or level 7.1?

I've become confused mainly because I noticed some people mentioning for different age groups that level 10 constitutes an exempt for the one age bracket, but 10.5 is exempt for a different bracket.

Does it mean that a score 10.5 would be less than a score of 10 in this calculation?

edit: An additional point- It lists various criteria for different organizations on Wikipedia (I know, not necessarily the most accurate).

CF: 6.0 (Males), 4.0 (Females)

Ontario Provincial Police: 6.5

Royal Australian Navy: 6.1

Royal Marines: 11.0

I guess the decimals aren't allowing me to be certain. Does the 6.0 actually mean full completion of level 6 whereas the 6.1 and 6.5 only require the 1st and 5th stages to be completed?

When you hear them say "Level 10.5", that means you just completed Level 10.5.

If you need level 10.5, then you can stop running when you hear it said.

I really don't understand the confusion.

Link to MP3

The confusion comes from some posters on this thread stating contradictory things as to what constitutes a level. In reading back, someone asked what the minimum level meant and it was replied that the level 6 minimum meant every stage in level 6 up to 6.10 had to be completed. That would mean someone would be required to run until 7.1 to pass.

I may be coming across as idiotic, but if you need to spell it out for me by all means do. I guess what I don't understand is what the .0 necessarily means. Other posters state that the level 6 minimum means ALL of level 6, even though it states 6.0 in the book.

If a 6.5 means level 6- stage 5, would a 6.0 simply mean level 6- stage 0?

If what others posted is true, that the level 6.0 minimum requires all stages to be completed, as opposed to level 6.1, I do not understand why in this case a level 6.0 would be considered MORE than a level 6.5 as numerically, 6.0 is LESS than 6.5.

P.S just in case you think the bold orange is trying to be snippy, it's not. I realize sometimes tone and inflection can get lost via internet communication. I was just trying to emphasize the specific points I'm fuzzy with.

Forget the ".1".  There is no "point 1" in Canada.

You have full stages and half stages.  Stage 6 is followed by Stage 6.5, which is followed by Stage 7.

If the chart says you need stage 6 to pass, when you hear the voice say "Stage 6", you've passed.

The stage announced is the stage completed.

Level = stage, but the official term is "stage", and that's what you'll find in the documentation.

Occam,

Thanks for bearing with me.

I just wanted to make sure I was doing things right. So when I came across a few posts stating a level only counts once completed, I was slightly nervous about having my above-average score turn into just a mediocre one.

I realize this is a public site and that anyone can contribute, but sometimes I do forget not everything is accurate.

...unless of course, it's posted by someone with the Mentor or Milnet.ca Staff tag!

(You can send over the milpoints whenever you're ready!  ;))

If you listen to the MP3, you'll hear "Begin", and then 30 seconds later, "Stage one-half", and then 30 seconds later, "Stage one", and 30 seconds later, "Stage one and one half".  If you continue along, you'll hear "Stage six".  If Stage six is what you need for a pass, then when you hear "Stage six", you're done - you've successfully run six full stages, since you began at zero.

Try not to get too hung up on ends of stages and beginnings of stages.  If you need stage X according to the charts, run like hell until you hear "Stage X".  If you drop out, your score is the last stage that was announced.  It doesn't get simpler than that.  ;D

If you go to this site (below) is has a chart that indicates the minimum standards and incentive standard as it is relevant to your age and sex.

http://canadianmilitaryandefence.blogspot.com/p/fitness-and-physical-training-in.html

Chilme said:
If you go to this site (below) is has a chart that indicates the minimum standards and incentive standard as it is relevant to your age and sex.

http://canadianmilitaryandefence.blogspot.com/p/fitness-and-physical-training-in.html

You mean like the charts that I posted, just a few posts back in Reply 192?  ::)

The way i found to get 9.5  was

run for 30 min  on a tredmill

3min at 8.5 kmh
3min at 12.5 kmh
walk 2 min at 5 or 6kmh

then go for a run on the track or other for 15min.  non stop.  just make sure your get to 15min run as afast as u can  so u push your heart.
as you progress  try going back to the sprinting  use power poles if u can sprint walkfast sprint  untill you are done. 

thats day1.

day 2  just a short cardio workout " NO or LOW impact" after ur pushups and wights lol.  then make sure you rest
good luck

ooalias said:
The way i found to get 9.5  was

run for 30 min  on a tredmill

3min at 8.5 kmh
3min at 12.5 kmh
walk 2 min at 5 or 6kmh

then go for a run on the track or other for 15min.  non stop.  just make sure your get to 15min run as afast as u can  so u push your heart.
as you progress  try going back to the sprinting  use power poles if u can sprint walkfast sprint  untill you are done. 

thats day1.

day 2  just a short cardio workout " NO or LOW impact" after ur pushups and wights lol.  then make sure you rest
good luck

Really, any cario/aerobic exercise will help you reach  your goal. There is no one work-out/program that is a sure thing, or that is monumentally better than other.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the 20MSR (metre-shuttle-run) requires much more aerobic ability than a flat out 2.4km jog, which would be mostly cardio. What I mean is, if all you do is go for 3-5km runs, it won't be as effective at preparing you for the 20MSR as say sprinting and circuit training. I knew someone who trained for a year to run a marathon, ran that marathon, and then a month later for our fitness test they only reached half a level higher than I did (my 10.5 vs their 11). I'm not trying to downplay their accomplishment (and I am very proud of them) but I am just emphasizing how the 20MSR is so much more of an Aerobic test than a Cardio test.

One other thing to consider is that your legs take much more of a beating then during a flat-out jog. The constant changing direction really starts to wear out your leg muscles, especially once you start getting up tot he higher levels. I have personally (and I've seen others) drop out of the run at level 10-11 not because we'd reached out VO2 max (although we were close), but because our legs felt like jell-o! So when preparing for the 20MSR, make sure you work on improving the muscle endurance in your legs.

Hope people find some of this useful!

Cheers,

Back