• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2 sets of stuff

I use it at home, been a mug 'n' brush guy since I was 20.  This stuff works great, but I find it takes a heck of as lot of it to get a decent shave.  Freezing isn't too bad with the tube stuff, chuck it in your washbasin with hot water for a few mins.

I use cake soap, no problems with freezing on winter ex and the load masters do not have any issue with taking it on board the CF airframes.

So what the heck is this I hear about not being allowed to be bald????

I've been shaving my head every few days for the past year.... in fact I just shaved it yesterday and I start basic on the 16th..... NOW I'm finding out that it's a no-no?!!?

Faaaaaan-tastic.....

The problem lies in the "new recruit" who decides he will be hard core and shave his head bald and then manages to get a sunburn during the few times he is without headdress. If you truly have been shaving for awhile or heaven forbid you lost the hair naturally, there wont be a problem.

In the early 90's in Petawawa a directive came out that unless you were already bald or shaving your head, no one would be allowed to suddenly start head shaving. It seemed the powers that be, thought it looked too aggresive and didn't want to offend the tree hugging granola eaters that might think our Military was aggressive.

Also there is the matter of changing your appearance from what is portrayed on your military ID card.

If you are already "Mr Clean", you shouldn't have a problem.

Anyone here use a straight razor? I've been looking into getting one as I want to punch myself in the danglies every time I spend 10+ dollars on 4 Mach 3 razor heads. I'm wondering most about which is preferable - a bladed straight razor or one that takes razor inserts. I'm also curious as to whether the effect of a straight razor on your skin is better, worse, or the same as that of your standard Mach 3/etc. safety razor.

Straight razors do an awesome job.  The problem is that they are very high maint, and if not looked after, you may end up hearing a wet "plop" as your ear falls in the sink.  Not for anyone with any kind of shaky hands.

I was considering a straight razor to because of the cost of Mach 3 blades. How much does one cost and where can I buy one from?

I just checked out that site and DAM...those are heavy prices. I'll shave with glass before I spend that much money on a straight razor.

WOW. $1200 US for a Limited Edition. I couldn't bring myself to use it if I paid that much for it. It'd be like a collectors Item or something.

Has anyone had any experience with Double-Edge Razors? How long does one blade last? I assume it's a closer shave then the usual plastic ones we're used to. I remember my dad used them when I was very young. The prices aren't bad at that website for the double-edge.

I guess I should wait a bit. I'm just getting used to shaving everyday. It's a feat when it doesn't look like I tried to commit suicide!

Hey guys, thanks for all the great info so far. I'm sorry to drag on the issue of shaving still but I have some questions that haven't really been answered yet and thought I'd give it a shot.

As far as disposable razor's, wouldn't they be the best to bring to BMQ as you can use them for a few days or a week, then trash them and grab a fresh/clean one ( given that you are allowed to keep supplies somewhere ? ) and they make 3 bladed disposables like the Mach 3,  this way you would avoid having to clean or maintain the base of the mach 3 razor everytime ( in case soap dries between the hinges and you miss to clean it over a long period of time, etc ) ...

Secondly, I usually keep my head shaved down to a number #1 or #2 and I was wondering, how would I maintain that look while in BMQ, is it possible to go out and grab a haircut every 2 weeks or during weekends, or can you bring your own shaver and cut you hair every weekend ?

Lastly, when they say your whole team has to be uniform, does that include having the same tube toothpaste (i really like those small <a href="http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate2in1/US/ProductDetails/TAF.cvsp">Collogate squeeze bottles Example</a> they seem easier to maintain), same colour toothbrush, same shaving cream, etc and how about Bodywash as its easier to maintain and use instead of a bar of soap ?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Dan  :salute:

Dano-mac said:
is it possible to go out and grab a haircut every 2 weeks or during weekends, or can you bring your own shaver and cut you hair every weekend ?

I was told you have to get your hair cut every week on bmq and you do that on base, $6 I think. Thats for Borden btw.

The Borden Joining instructions which were originally Naval Reserve BMQ doesn't say anything about haircuts. The St. Jean one, right off the CFLRS website, says you'll have to get a haircut every two weeks @ $7.50 ea. At the enrollment they said it was the same deal at Borden.

Dano-mac, your best bet is either stick to cheapy disposeable razors or bring an electric(saves time waiting in line for a sink). As for the rest of your abolutions, bring what is listed on the kit list and provided your kit is clean, serviceable and displayed in the proper drawer layout, you will not be berrated for having a strawberry shortcake electric toothbrush(maybee poked fun at though). Haircuts are always available during training , so even if you dont think you need one, someone will let you know its time.

In St. Jean, the guys on my platoon have been getting a haircut every 3 weeks.

every course I have ever been on and taught on has had someone bring their own hair cutting tools and as long as you don't break hair regs no one seems to mind. I have had a couple recruits ask me if they could and said go for it, I get my gf to do mine and all I have to do is buy her an electric razor when she wants a new one every couple of years. Money in the bank!  >:D

On my joining instructions it says to bring a "razor with blades - non disposable". Can anyone tell me what that is??

vehtech wife said:
On my joining instructions it says to bring a "razor with blades - non disposable". Can anyone tell me what that is??

A shaving razor, an not the cheap plastic disposable ones.

Mike,

Forgive me if I sound ignorant, (I'll blame it on being a girl and not familiar with the finer points of shaving) but other than electric, standard bic and those mach three things..what do you mean by a shaving razor? I just don't want to spend needless money on something I'll never use only to find out I bought the wrong thing.

Back