• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2.4 KM run?

Tyrone_88

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just reading the posts and came across one that said there is a 2.4 k run involved for joining the infantry and that you gotta do it in like 10 minutes. Im in pretty good shape and have no problems with other stuff like the push ups and sit ups, but am un sure about running 2 and half K in 10 minutes that sounds kind of fast. what is the average time for you guys to run 2.4 K?

I also came across something that said there is a minimum weight requirement if so does any one no what it would be for a 6 foot, 17 year old im like 165 right now and a little on the skinny side

lol... theres no weight requirement. Skinny side? youre making me feel bad, I joined when i was 5'9, 115... im 160 at present.

2.4km in 10 minutes is very doable. Run it yourself on your own time and see, it isnt that far. The fastest ive ever done it was around 7:30-8:30.

You have 12 minutes to do it.

alright i just gotta figure out how to measure 2.4 k and i'll run it and see what i can do. i quit smoking 2 weeks ago and have been exercising alot since i decided to join the army. when you go to sign up do they have a track for you to run on or is it a treadmill?

Holy crap mack that is fast....(for me anyways) i was just looking at the world record for 1 mile run and the 20 place holder did it 4 min 1 second that means 1.5 miles (2.4 km) he would be in about 6 min Have you ever thought about trying out for a track meet? maybe you could make the summer olympics......

Many years and many pounds ago, back when it was 1.5 miles, my time for the recruiting centre was 7:40.  Final test after basic was 7:10.  spent more time puking after than actually spent running

i think the fastest i've ever done 1 1/2 miles is about 9 mins...........i can't imagin 7:10 i would be pukin 2...your crazy Kat!   what can you do it now?

My back is officially (letter from doctors and everything) shot, so now I only do 1.5 miles in my truck.... :(

oh crap, Sorry to hear that kat. Must be pretty fast in your truck though 1-2 mins.....LOL

Tyrone i think your best bet would be to go to a gym and try out there treadmill it will give you an idea of how fast you will have to run to meet your goal. i know that runnning at 6 miles/hour (about 9.5 km/hour) would put you in at about a 10 minute mile, so 1.5 mile about 15 mins. (thats a pretty slow pace) You should be Fine! won't take you long to get your times down.......if your not already there.....

if you want to measure out 2.4 km  get in your car, reset the trip odometer and measure out 1.2 KM (the round trip would be 2.4km) or measure out the full 2.4 km and run a 4.8 km round trip.

A regulation track is 400m..A high school track is a regulation track..therefore 6 laps = 2.4km on the . 
It's really not that hard I could run 8 in 12 minutes those annual 12 minute runs in grade 10 and i went down significantly couldnt run much and last 2 months i went from 2km in 12 minutes to 4 k in19-20 minutes just run and run drink water eat right get up in the morning and run..run in the afternoon..! and you'ill be running longer and faster in no time your body's just not used to running give it time and some work. goodluck

Tyrone_88 said:
when you go to sign up do they have a track for you to run on or is it a treadmill?
For the fitness test, I beleive you do a step test.

Hope this helps you!

Quote from: Tyrone_88 on February 17, 2006, 11:37:47
when you go to sign up do they have a track for you to run on or is it a treadmill?

Step test at the recruiting centre, when you get to basic, i believe the initial test is a shuttle run and you must make it to a certain level, depending on your age, maybe that was for something else now that i think about it, but i think its right... im sure someone will correct me if my mind has proven to be confused.

To pass the shuttle run you gotta get to stage 6.

For the PT test to get in, it all depends who runs it. When I did my first once to get into the Reserves it was at a civvie gym an I did the step test. When I did it again for my Componet Transfer I went to the gym on Edmonton Garrison an the PSP staff had us to a shuttle run.

an excellent way of plotting a running path, if a 400 meter track is not available, is download the google earth program

there is a function called 'measure', set it to path, and then to kilometers measurement. plot a path around your area, or a good place where you can run without limitations (street lights / cars) a good idea is something like a pedestrian only jogging / bike path.

Google earth is accurate to about 15meters, but it is still FAR more accurate then driving (as you can trace the path of the sidewalk and how you plan on moving)

;D yeh to technology!

shoebox_stereo said:
Google earth is accurate to about 15meters, but it is still FAR more accurate then driving (as you can trace the path of the sidewalk and how you plan on moving)

;D yeh to technology!

I like driving the route, because you factor in elevation (which can change the overall distance. Example being, running a distance of 1km on hilly and fluctuating ground will put more mileage on you than running that 1km on flat, even ground. Does Google factor in elevation, or no?

an excellent way of plotting a running path, if a 400 meter track is not available, is download the google earth program

there is a function called 'measure', set it to path, and then to kilometers measurement. plot a path around your area, or a good place where you can run without limitations (street lights / cars) a good idea is something like a pedestrian only jogging / bike path.

Grin yeh to technology!

Thats what I did, and I found out that my street (its actually shaped like an O) is 400m in circumference. Hehehe. Perfect.

Sh0rtbUs said:
I like driving the route, because you factor in elevation (which can change the overall distance. Example being, running a distance of 1km on hilly and fluctuating ground will put more mileage on you than running that 1km on flat, even ground. Does Google factor in elevation, or no?

im not sure it takes elevation into account when plotting, but it displays it on the screen in feet above sea level, so you'll get a general idea of the landscape, and try to avoid the slopes

shoebox_stereo said:
im not sure it takes elevation into account when plotting, but it displays it on the screen in feet above sea level, so you'll get a general idea of the landscape, and try to avoid the slopes

Why on earth would you want to avoid slopes?. Running uphill/downhill gives you the oppurtunity to ease up in and gain a little bit on energy back when going down hill and forces you to really make yourself push forward when going up the last hill.

Back