• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2.4 KM run?

On the step test, do they measure how long it takes your heart rate to get to a certain level and how long it takes to go back to normal?

I have found my answer on another thread. My apologies for the use of bandwidth, feel free to delete  ;D

I found that the average city block is approx 250-300 meters. (if this helps)

For the 1.5 mile you need good legs. If you have stong legs..you'll be fine. I did my 1.5 mile Tuesday for my SAR pt test and there is lot of people with a better cardio than mine...especially the combat arms guys  ;)
Do it at least once a week and you'll be able to time yourself and also pace yourself.
good luck!

Jaxson said:
Why on earth would you want to avoid slopes?. Running uphill/downhill gives you the oppurtunity to ease up in and gain a little bit on energy back when going down hill and forces you to really make yourself push forward when going up the last hill.

For training, I'd have to agree. However, to measure your score for the 2.4km run, a flat (as much as possible) surface is necessary, as the 2.4km run "requirements" are based on a flat surface, not hills.

That being said, I love training on hills.

TB said:
For the 1.5 mile you need good legs. If you have stong legs..you'll be fine.

I call bullshit. I have very strong legs and can easily do ruck marches and use lower body strength, but having strong legs doesn't help my running. If anything, it hampers it, because being a big, strong guy, I have more mass to throw around.

If you're a twig with powerful legs, it's gonna help you. If you're just a big, strong guy, having strong legs won't really do anything. It might help, but don't rely on it.

You can call it bullshit if you want to, but having strong and powerfull legs did help me a lot. You want to be fast and constant. I never mentioned about having big muscular legs, obviously it will probably slow you down.
If it doesn't work for you, well I'm sure there's another way that will probably work better for you. You just need to find it and work on it.
cheers

TB said:
You can call it bullshit if you want to, but having strong and powerfull legs did help me a lot. You want to be fast and constant. I never mentioned about having big muscular legs, obviously it will probably slow you down.
If it doesn't work for you, well I'm sure there's another way that will probably work better for you. You just need to find it and work on it.
cheers

I might have been too "aggressive" in my reply, but I still think strong and powerful legs are only a small part of running. They help, of course, but they shouldn't be the focus of people's training. Cardio capacity, I think, is more important than power. Most guys I know who have "average powered" legs but great cardio definately beat those who have stronger legs but a shabby cardio. Of course, it's all about striking a balance, but I think one should strive to have as good a cardio capacity as they can, and then move on to power.

I also agree that being fast and constant is the way to go. It's just harder to be constant with good power and bad cardio than with bad power and good cardio.

Oh, and twigs are the root of all evil. :p Go Heavyweights!

2.4K can't be won on muscular strength alone.  The length is sufficient to require good cardio.  I recommend training for 5Ks 3 times per week with one of those runs at about 85-90% of *race pace*  (ie. the pace you wish/need to achieve on the 2.4K).  Then when it comes to doing the 2.4K do a slow jog warm up for 10 minutes and then just give 'er nuts once it is time to do the 2.4K.  Given that you have trained at a longer distance at almost the pace you need to achieve, you should be able to pull off the 2.4K at race pace.

TB said:
So which is it?  ???

Well, I am 5'9 1/2" and weigh 140lbs (yeah, a lightweight...) and I hadn't run in nearly two years, then I had to do the self fitness test for my application earlier this year, I live in Ottawa and the first time I ran it, I did the 2.4kms down a gravel road on a night we were getting freezing rain, I was wearing my big work coat and boots and I managed 11 minutes 45 seconds.  Four days later I had my stepdad drive me (we live in a rural area) down a more or less flat road, we used the odometer to measure 2.4kms and he just followed me back with his hazard lights flashing, this time it was being timed for the application so I wore running shoes and a lighter coat (it was -10 Celsius outside and my throat was killing me at the end...) and managed to do it in 10 minutes 10 seconds.  I worked out regularly since (I do an 800 meter warm up run before I actually do any cardio, workout or sports) and the fitness test given here in Ottawa (at the YMCA near the recruitment center) was a step test.  I found the step test MUCH easier than the actual run (temperature, experience, etc could have affected that) but if they pull you out because of your heart rate there's not much that you can do about it, I made it through all 4 stages and she told me I passed, but I was curious as to how they grade you for that, how do you manage a 6.0 and what is taken into account for that grading? Also, how did you guys do for the grip test? I pulled off a 109 total (left 55, right 54) which I hope is pretty good for someone my size...

I quit smoking 1 month ago.  Last month I nearly died at 6 minutes of jogging on a treadmill.  Literally, I almost blacked out.

This month I can jog straight for 8 minutes and did 800 m in 3:40 seconds, and nearly died from another black out.

I'm getting better with every month.  I'm on a very stict regime of running, swimming, push ups, and sit ups.

For all you smokers out there, you can do it!  You won't be able to do it well, but give it time!

You know I don't even have to say it do I???

ahh what the heck I'm on a roll tonight with you, and I figure why stop till I have achieved my objective.

8 minutes huh... 800m huh...3:04   well I guess I'll give you; you haven't died yet...

I'll try to be nice here, Scipio using a tread mill will not help you, in fact it's just best if you run outside, now if you're the type that will come back and say but it was winter and it was cold.

I'll say Man up (if you can) I run in -20 sometimes lower then that for 10+ km's why? cause it's good for my cardio. In fact get used to running in really bad weather cause the army doesn't care about it so you wont either.

Journeyman,
sorry couldn't reply faster, I was away on a adventure training  ;D
What I meant by strong legs I refer to biking legs. Not big, but powerfull. Is that making it more clear? I'm french and english is not my 1st language.
cheers

Funny, I always thought the run was 3.2 kms.  Did it change at some point in time?

Anyway, 2.4 km in under 12 minutes is not hard at all.  I've always been a long distance runner, (read - not fast at short distances lol) and I could do the mile and a half in just under 10 minutes. 

Don't just prepare for the 2.4k I just finished week 6 of BMQ in st jean and were already doing 6k runs with the PT staff, not to mention a 3k run at 5:10am  ;D

The morning runs you have to keep up with your staff and you double back to pick up the stragglers... If your slow start in the front of the ranks it makes it a bit easier. The runs with the PT staff around the track are at your own pace.

I wouldn't stop at 6km either.

Most units do runs on occasions of over 10km....like yesterday for the RCD.

It included hills with inclines of over 5% grade....so it behooves you to do hill training as well.

Regards

Scipio said:
Are we talking about a consistent run or a light jog for 6 Km? 
You are trying to increase your endurance and better your time.  A Degree is not required.

I'm going to add my .02 in here. I just finished bmq in Borden and I echo the others here who say "don't stop at 2.4 km". In fact I would suggest you be able to run at a minimum 5 km before you attempt bmq. 10km would be even better. And I'm talking about running outside because that is different than eliptical (sp?) trainers or indoor tracks.

It's not just the runs you do with pt staff that require you to be in good condition, it's all the training that isn't in a classroom. You will be running on all kinds of surfaces with all kinds of equipment (think TOPO with full fighting order in the middle of the night through a forest...).

I actually found the early morning runs with PT staff were a great way to get energized and wish they had more of them in the program (if anybody from standards is listening....)

Scipio said:
Are we talking about a consistent run or a light jog for 6 Km? 

As I mentioned if you are with the PT staff and doing laps around the track, its at your own pace. How ever you do morning runs with your instructors who decided the pace and the distance. (usually decided by how much time you have and weather you have inspections or not)

Back