• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

100 year disgrace??prove it

SHELLDRAKE!!

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking back through older threads I noticed there are alot of wild stories on this topic and I wanted to ensure that the new CF members arn't subjugated to the urban myths of yore.Please feel free to try and back this 100 year disgrace myth with credible evidence and I will happily admit my faults.

Parry left: http://www.23fdraaassociation.homestead.com/HistoryoftheLanyard.html

Ummm.. without actually going back and reading all of the threads in question - I think we refuted all of those myths - as opposed to giving them credibility  ???

The issue that I believe is still disputed,  surrounds actions in the Boer war(Lielifontaine) and the idea Canadian guns were ever abandoned to be manned by anyone.This myth is still perpetuated to this day as a reason Artillery attend the Lielifontaine ceromonies every year and as this web site is used by many future recruits of the Artillery,I wanted to ensure that unlike those that went through in my day,new soldiers have the correct information and have nothing to be ashamed of.

The reason for starting this thread is firstly because (and I quote from FRANKO :"this MUST be a sore point with those of the guns. We of the tanks are obviously not informed well enough on this topic").

And secondly as I previously stated, a person looking for more info on Artillery would likely check out the Arty forum and after reading this thread would be more informed.If you peruse the past posted pages of the Arty Forum there is no quick reference to the 100 year myth.

The historically accurate story is as follows:

D Battery joined Lord Roberts' main army in operations on the east Transvaal. It was at Leliefontein
that a historic and successful rear-guard action was fought by a handful of Royal Canadian Dragoons and the left
section of D Battery (the Gunners under the command of Lieutenant (later Major-General) E.W.B. Morrison of
the 2nd Ottawa Field Battery). They defended against an attack by some 200 Boers who had charged to within 70
yards of their position. Three of the Dragoons were awarded the Victoria Cross for this action. Lieutenant Morrison
was awarded the DSO. The gun involved now rests in the Canadian War Museum. The following is an excerpt
from the â Å“Supplementary Report, Organization, Equipment, Dispatch and Services of the Canadian Contingents
during the War in South Africa 1899-1900" from OC D Battery, RCFA to CC Brigade Division RCFA, dated 9
March 1901:
â Å“It was soon evident that the Boers had heavily reinforced since yesterday. Col Lessard with The Royal Regiment
Canadian Dragoons and two Royal Canadian Guns, the latter under Lt Morrison, covered the rear, and I have no
praise too high for the devoted gallantry they all showed in keeping the enemy off the convoy and infantry.â ?

â Å“In a telegram congratulating Gen Smith-Dorrien on the success of his operations, Lord Roberts said: 'Col Lessard
with his Canadians had a difficult task in guarding the rear of your return march and deserves great credit as
do all who were with him.'â ?
â Å“Gen Smith-Dorrien subsequently recommended Lt Morrison for 'some special mark of Her Majesty's favour for
the skill and coolness with which he worked and finally saved his guns'. He was duly awarded the Distinguished
Service Order.â ?
â Å“During the two day's fighting the section expended 240 rounds ammunition.â ?
  In the Regular Force the service and traditions of C, D, and E Batteries are perpetuated by the RCHA
batteries with the same designation. Because of the size of the contribution of the 7th Battery at St Catherines,
its logical successor, 10th Battery, 56th Field Regiment RCA, perpetuates the South African service of C Battery in
the Reserve Force. For the contribution of a battery commander, a gun section and their distinguished conduct
at Leliefontein, 2nd Field Battery of 30th Field Regiment RCA perpetuates in the reserve force the South African
service of D Battery.
  The most rewarding aspect of the Royal Canadian Artillery's first overseas service was the increased
recognition which now came from the Canadian and Imperial governments not only in the form of increased
appropriations but also an awareness of the excellence achieved by the Regiment.

That same passage, with reference, was quoted by muskrat89 in the original thread you are trying to "correct".

See http://army.ca/forums/threads/1231/post-13504.html#msg13504

The focus of that thread became the debunking of that lanyard myth. By the post in which Franko made the comment you have isolated, he appears to be referring to the point that the myth remains extant that must be a sore point, not an inference of any assumed "facts" being a sore point.

O.K. To clear up any misconceptions, obviously there is a desire to argue on this thread about references and quotes and I merely want to clarify fact from fiction.If you have any valid contributions to this thread please contribute, otherwise if your looking to argue to pass time, there are plenty of gratuitous threads awaiting your input.

Back