• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

It depends on what you consider PR. For them this is a PR win. The Arab world hates Israel and never has cared much for the ‘rules for armed conflict’.

The UN has made it clear no matter how many crimes Israel commits they aren’t going to sanction them or hold them accountable. So for Hamas they need to look elsewhere. They aren’t trying to win over the West, the West has nothing for them.

Abductions make sense for swaps, shields, etc. at the end of the day playing ‘fair’ is a luxury afforded to those winning. When you are a group like Hamas which is severely limited in resources, technology, and training, fighting Israel one of the best equipped and trained military in the world, if you try to play fair it only gets you killed quick.
They killed, dismembered an raped a number of the women and female children.

There is no place on earth they will be able to hide.

Perhaps it's time we stop trying to take the high road and start turning regions into glass.

The protection of the Geneva convention shouldn't extend to forces and organizations that don't follow it to begin with.

The Geneva Conventions aren’t the only source of legal authority saying “don’t do genocide”.

If the genocide of Jews in the 1940s was wrong, the genocide of Palestinians in the 2020s as military reprisal would be wrong too.

We shouldn’t be cheering for a response that ends up looking what some members here dealt with in the FRY in the 1990s.

The protection of the Geneva convention shouldn't extend to forces and organizations that don't follow it to begin with.
You might want to read up on the conventions; certain Israeli settlements are in violation of the 4th convention. Are you saying Hamas should be able to do whatever they want?

They killed, dismembered an raped a number of the women and female children.

There is no place on earth they will be able to hide.
Those responsible for those acts should face punishment.

That being said indiscriminately attacking civilians on both sides is wrong.

Israel isn’t some knight in shining armour, they have done and are actively doing evil as well.

I want the criminals on both sides to face punishment for their acts.

Taking captives has been a tool in the past to conduct swaps; last number I saw was north of 5000 Palestinians detained by the IDF.
I suspect things might be different this time around. In the past the goal was to keep a lid on the violence while more or less maintaining the status quo.

Hamas has proven now that Gaza and the West Bank are in effect perpetual launching points for devastating attacks on Israel that they really have no way to effectively deter or prevent. This may be the final straw for Israel to push the Palestinians out of the territories and formally annex them for Israel.

This would then push the Palestinian problem on to the neighbouring states. Attacks on Israel would no longer be "uprisings" within the occupied territories but would be attacks across international borders. The governments of Jordan, Egypt (and to a lesser extent Lebanon and Syria) would have an interest in avoiding cross border attacks because they would run the risk of inciting a war between them and Israel.

Sympathy for the Palestinians in these countries would likely wane over time like it did for the PLO in Lebanon as their cause would distract from the long term goals of the host countries.

Obviously Israel would take a huge hit internationally if it were to conduct mass expulsions of fighting age Palestinian males but for them it is an existential fight. If they don't find a more stable solution to the situation it will only get worse over time as the Palestinian population is growing at a much faster rate than the Israeli population.

As more info comes out, there’s more coverage firming up initial reports that part of this assault into Israel involved multiple attacks most recognizable as what we’d call ‘mass shooters’ at populated civilian areas/events. For instance, at least a couple hundred are believed dead, with more wounded and abducted from a music festival. It looks like a number of these attacks had either no conceivable military objective, or an utter disregard for any notion of distinction or proportionality. I’m not saying we didn’t know or strongly suspect this yesterday; just that it’s getting more clear.

I struggle to imagine that facilitating exactly such massacres weren’t a specific objective of these attacks, rather than an incidental byproduct. There’s just too much and too widespread wanton targeted murder of Israelis. Hamas knows they won’t take and hold ground for long in the face of the IDF.

So what the hell is the point of this atrocity?

As more info comes out, there’s more coverage firming up initial reports that part of this assault into Israel involved multiple attacks most recognizable as what we’d call ‘mass shooters’ at populated civilian areas/events. For instance, at least a couple hundred are believed dead, with more wounded and abducted from a music festival. It looks like a number of these attacks had either no conceivable military objective, or an utter disregard for any notion of distinction or proportionality. I’m not saying we didn’t know or strongly suspect this yesterday; just that it’s getting more clear.

I struggle to imagine that facilitating exactly such massacres weren’t a specific objective of these attacks, rather than an incidental byproduct. There’s just too much and too widespread wanton targeted murder of Israelis. Hamas knows they won’t take and hold ground for long in the face of the IDF.

Furthermore there is clear evidence via Hamas literature given out on that day, that indiscriminate killings of civilians was the goal.
It appears to be planned clusters of massive suicide attacks. The capture of civilians doesn’t appear to have been a plan, it’s just some groups appear to have decided that they didn’t want to stay and fight to their dying breath in Israel, so they grabbed women and children and took off at some point.

Genocide.

Perhaps it's time we stop trying to take the high road and start turning regions into glass.
The Romans tried the high road for a over a hundred years or so when dealing with their own issues in that area. They finally had enough and displaced the entire population, destroyed most of the surrounding villages and people and renamed the area. That is when it went from Judea to Palestine. It would take a bit more than 1800 years for Jews to finally return and control it.

Given the mood in Israel right now I would not be shocked if they look to the past and do something similar.

Those responsible for those acts should face punishment.

That being said indiscriminately attacking civilians on both sides is wrong.

Israel isn’t some knight in shining armour, they have done and are actively doing evil as well.

I want the criminals on both sides to face punishment for their acts.
At the end of the day, there are sides. Generally I chose to pick the side that is the less evil.
While Israel isn’t always a white knight they also aren’t running through peace festivals slitting throats and dismembering bodies.

You might want to read up on the conventions; certain Israeli settlements are in violation of the 4th convention. Are you saying Hamas should be able to do whatever they want?

You can't fight a foe trying to follow the rules while your foe doesn't. Rules only work when everyone plays by them.

Building settlements and turning women and children in slaves/hostages/concubines is not the same.

I'm willing to be educated if you provide examples of the IDF doing that. Then maybe this is tit for tat.

You can't fight a foe trying to follow the rules while your foe doesn't. Rules only work when everyone plays by them.

Building settlements and turning women and children in slaves/hostages/concubines is not the same.

I'm willing to be educated if you provide examples of the IDF doing that. Then maybe this is tit for tat.

Building settlements in occupied territories by forcibly evicting / murdering residents is a war crime. You said (paraphrased) that war crimes mean you can turn cities into glass.

Either both sides need to be held to account for their actions, or both sides can do whatever the hell they want.

I'd prefer both to be held to account.

This only confirms my initial suspicions.

This attack, both in motives and methods, is steeped in nihilism.
There’s just too much and too widespread wanton targeted murder of Israelis. Hamas knows they won’t take and hold ground for long in the face of the IDF.

This isn't about achieving anything for the Palestinian people. This is strictly what it manifestly appears to be. A vengeful, hate-based lash out. Palestinians are taught to hate Jews and Israel from a very young age. They know they're hopeless in Gaza. They know they don't stand a chance against Israel.

The whole point is to inflict pain and derive sadistic pleasure. Rape and destruction is the point.

I'm sure it coincides also with Iran's strategic objectives and that it has been spurred by Iran. But that's only part of the equation.

Obviously Israel would take a huge hit internationally if it were to conduct mass expulsions of fighting age Palestinian males but for them it is an existential fight. If they don't find a more stable solution to the situation it will only get worse over time as the Palestinian population is growing at a much faster rate than the Israeli population.
That does not appear to be the case.

Population paralleling.

1696778759391.png

Fertility rates converging down.

1696778911305.png

Building settlements in occupied territories by forcibly evicting / murdering residents is a war crime. You said (paraphrased) that war crimes mean you can turn cities into glass.

Either both sides need to be held to account for their actions, or both sides can do whatever the hell they want.

I'd prefer both to be held to account.

No side can be held accountable to anything until this is finished. Let the dogs fight.

There are crimes on all sides of wars, but what Hamas has done now brings this to a whole new level. And that kind of evil needs to be extinguished.

Back