• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

$15b in CERB overpayments….whateverrrrrr.
$30m in savings to screw your CAF members……great idea!
That's because it affects far more than ~90k people.

If they clawed it all back, the LPC is pretty much sunk next election - if they didn't call for a vote of non-confidence first.

It's not, however, an excuse to get people to work themselves to death (or divorce) just because the department can't be bothered to hire enough people to properly do all the work it's mandating. Gone are the days that folks will be willing to sacrifice their mental well being and relationships for a shitty job with an employer that would absolutely toss them out as soon as they're no longer useful.
You just described my career arc....

You just described my career arc....
I laughed because otherwise I would cry, but same.

If people wrote their own retirement announcement messages that would be a good bluf for a lot of people. "good guy, worked hard, broken by the system, discarded"

"Mission first, if you don't like it there's the door". -RCN, quiet part.
"Ship mates, it's all the result of your hard work and going above and beyond that we keep doing more with less. But you are all still average. Except some of you, you suck. " -CRCN, out loud

If people wrote their own retirement announcement messages that would be a good bluf for a lot of people. "good guy, worked hard, broken by the system, discarded"

"Mission first, if you don't like it there's the door". -RCN, quiet part.
"Ship mates, it's all the result of your hard work and going above and beyond that we keep doing more with less. But you are all still average. Except some of you, you suck. " -CRCN, out loud

I know people who have been told to write their own retirement messages.

Sad.

Ship mates, it's all the result of your hard work and going above and beyond that we keep doing more with less. But you are all still average. Except some of you, you suck. " -CRCN, out loud
I think that is the least charitable way to describe the email. It was more:

"I know everybody dislikes conflict, and nobody wants to be a the bad guy, but stop pretending everybody is a rockstar just so you don't have to correct your people's behaviours. Stop giving window lickers right justified evaluations, it cheapens the right justified evaluations of the rockstars."

If people wrote their own retirement announcement messages that would be a good bluf for a lot of people. "g
It is pretty common in the officer side of the Log Branch that one writes their own message, at least partially. Though, I have no doubt that any off brand messaging would be removed

I was quite happy to be in a non-log unit when I retired so I could just fade away

It is pretty common in the officer side of the Log Branch that one writes their own message, at least partially. Though, I have no doubt that any off brand messaging would be removed
Maybe now...

Reactions: MJP

"I know everybody dislikes conflict, and nobody wants to be a the bad guy, but stop pretending everybody is a rockstar just so you don't have to correct your people's behaviours. Stop giving window lickers right justified evaluations, it cheapens the right justified evaluations of the rockstars."

Ya I know some pretty high and mighty people got butt hurt over that message.

I think your summation is accurate.

Sad.
Depending on how far someone has wandered around in their career, their final unit may not have a great deal of knowledge about their career - not the boring MPRR posting sequence moments, but the "had to be there" incidents that can take a message from mildly interesting to "I wish I had known this gal/guy" (eg Capt(N) George Forward's message).

Sad.
I'd rather write my own retirement msg.

Some of the best ones were obviously tongue-in-cheek ones that they wrote themselves.

Reactions: MJP

Sad.
I wrote mine and it went out across the Regiment. Here it is, slightly redacted in a feeble effort at PERSEC:

A little known member of the Regimental family (due to his shyness), PPCLI Guy will retire on 15 Sep after 40 years in the Infantry, 32 of them in the Regiment. Sadly, he had a 37 year warranty on his body, so it is time to move on to greener pastures.

Fortunate enough to have served in all three Battalions and The Royal Green Jackets as well as 1 CMBG, he completed five tours in four theatres: Cyprus, Bosnia, Afghanistan, and Iraq.

PPCLI Guy will remain in the Ottawa area, mostly because PPCLI Gal has had it with moving. He intends to stay involved in the field of National Security, and looks forward to flashing his Veteran’s ID card and demanding that strangers thank him for his service.

Ugh... I'm sorry.

No.. no... it's been alot of fun actually! I've been playing 'dodge the DWD that ignores the members' wishes' for almost three years now.

Par example...

Them: "We'd like you to turn up on such and such a date and time and place for your DWD, late at night in the middle of the work week, which we have blended together with a couple of others' <to make it more convenient for us>."

Me: "Oh darn, I'll be busy that day.... let's keep trying. Thank you so much for thinking of me!"

It's like I'm still in the army, but everything is kind of opposite ;)

No.. no... it's been alot of fun actually! I've been playing 'dodge the DWD that ignores the members' wishes' for almost three years now.

Par example...

Them: "We'd like you to turn up on such and such a date and time and place for your DWD, late at night in the middle of the work week, which we have blended together with a couple of others' <to make it more convenient for us>."

Me: "Oh darn, I'll be busy that day.... let's keep trying. Thank you so much for thinking of me!"

It's like I'm still in the army, but everything is kind of opposite ;)

That's wrong.

My issue on that email was that they want the normal on PARs to be average, vice having the 50% point be 'met the standard', but the tone of that email did seem like it was drafted by an engineer (that failed stats). I mostly laughed and then deleted it, but the whole 'shipmate' bit seems a lot more forced from some then others.

With the number of people working above rank, covering multiple jobs etc, it should be easy to justify performance above the standard in a lot of the 150ish points. Similarly being an average performer in an HR unit stacked with high performers likely means your actual performance is higher than the brightest light in a 'island of misfit toys' unit where we hide useless people, and then there is the fact on whether any unit actually has a 'statistically significant sample size' for any trade/rank for a normal curve to even be relevant. I get the feeling PARs/FNs will be much more work in practice than PERs/div notes, but a lot of that is down to the homebrew/VBasic nature of MM which uses a GUI from windows 3.1 with Rube goldbergian workflows that lack the fun aspect. If I was missing half the CoC above me, covering off a few jobs I had no training in, and scored 'average' or 'below average' I would grieve the heck out of it, as we systematically set up people to struggle so even moderate success is an achievement.

Also 'Mission first, people always' is frankly a stupid and confusing slogan, so take the mickey there where ever I can.

My issue on that email was that they want the normal on PARs to be average, vice having the 50% point be 'met the standard', but the tone of that email did seem like it was drafted by an engineer (that failed stats). I mostly laughed and then deleted it, but the whole 'shipmate' bit seems a lot more forced from some then others.

With the number of people working above rank, covering multiple jobs etc, it should be easy to justify performance above the standard in a lot of the 150ish points. Similarly being an average performer in an HR unit stacked with high performers likely means your actual performance is higher than the brightest light in a 'island of misfit toys' unit where we hide useless people, and then there is the fact on whether any unit actually has a 'statistically significant sample size' for any trade/rank for a normal curve to even be relevant. I get the feeling PARs/FNs will be much more work in practice than PERs/div notes, but a lot of that is down to the homebrew/VBasic nature of MM which uses a GUI from windows 3.1 with Rube goldbergian workflows that lack the fun aspect. If I was missing half the CoC above me, covering off a few jobs I had no training in, and scored 'average' or 'below average' I would grieve the heck out of it, as we systematically set up people to struggle so even moderate success is an achievement.

Also 'Mission first, people always' is frankly a stupid and confusing slogan, so take the mickey there where ever I can.

My thought was this would be a good opportunity to break free of the current "everybody is a rockstar, so I don't have to deal with a grievance" system we currently have. I've seen the PERs some people get, then looked at their work and wondered if their boss had ever heard of the word picture book.

If a member is working above their rank/position, they can put in the notes to cover it, down to the specific days they were in those rolls. Rather than the old system of fill in a brag sheet, and hope your boss actually reads/uses it. I have added about twice as many notes to my my name as my bosses have...

100% agreed on the whole "shipmate" thing, and the fact that MM has about the worst UI I have encountered in at least a decade.

BOHICA. 😂

Back around the mid-90s, there was an old Patricia WO saying that to the young junior Officers when he saw them and saluted:

“Good morning sir, BOHICA”

Being curious some of them would ask what BOHICA was. He told them it was an ancient Somalian greeting that meant “good morning/afternoon/day”. Some of them picked it up and started saying it to NCMs when they were returning salutes. 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Back