• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A "The Queen's" Battery

FJAG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
A Battery, 1 RCHA, the oldest serving element of the Regular Force Army has been granted the the honorific title "The Queen's" by Her Majesty.

1-5902377.jpeg

Ubique.

🍻

So is this like the RCR where there is no A Coy, it is known as The Duke od Edinburgh Company (or Dukes).

Basically is it just called The Queen's Battery? Or does it get the whole A "The Queen's Battery"?

First of all, congratulation! and Ubique!

But call me finicky: The highet signatory on thta document is a BGen. Shouldn't there be some formal document signed by HM the Queen that grants the honour somewhere?

So is this like the RCR where there is no A Coy, it is known as The Duke od Edinburgh Company (or Dukes).

Basically is it just called The Queen's Battery? Or does it get the whole A "The Queen's Battery"?
Not sure how that will shake out. There is a convention of naming Royal Horse Artillery gun batteries (at the time called troops) such as "Mercer's Troop" (G Para Bty RHA) and "Bull's Troop" (I Bty) and "Chestnut Troop" (A Bty 1 RHA) but we've never taken to that. So this is something new for us, I think.

Interestingly there has been a long-standing ceremonial battery called "King's Troop" which, when the Queen was crowned, she left under that title rather than renaming it "Queen's Troop".

First of all, congratulation! and Ubique!

But call me finicky: The highet signatory on thta document is a BGen. Shouldn't there be some formal document signed by HM the Queen that grants the honour somewhere?
I expect there has to be something from the Palace, but I haven't seen a copy published yet - probably delayed by Canada Post.

🍻

Congratulations to A Battery, 1 RCHA!

What is the significance of this ? Or the background. Can someone educate this crayon eating sailor ?

Congratulations to A Battery, 1 RCHA!

What is the significance of this ? Or the background. Can someone educate this crayon eating sailor ?
A and B Batteries were authorized on 20 October 1871. For the last year the Regiment of Artillery has been celebrating its 150th birthday (because in true Canadian Army fashion we ignore the fact that numerous Militia batteries predate A and B Batteries by many decades).

From October 4th to October 22nd of last year, 1 RCHA and the RCA Band formed the Queen's Guard at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Palace.

1640109640095.jpg

Allowing the Queen to connect with many members of the Regiment:

1640109422831.jpg

I have no idea where the actual idea for the title came from but my guess is that there have been discussions back and forth over the last year that led to this honour.

🍻

Still not sure but this article seems to suggest the battery will be called "The Queen's Battery". I presume it will also retain the A Battery designation.

Apparently this is also part of the Platinum Jubilee celebration.

🍻

Back