• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Not sure if this gem was posted.

Toronto MP thinks a Freedom Convoy term is call for Hitler

A Toronto Liberal MP appears to believe that horn honking during the Freedom Convoy protests in Ottawa is a call for Adolf Hitler.

During Monday’s debate on the Emergencies Act invoked by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Ya’ara Saks, who represents York Centre, defended the use of the Act to remove protesters from the Parliament Hill area while referring to “honk honk” — a term used on social media to support the trucker convoy — as code for supporting Hitler.

“How many guns need to be seized? How much vitriol do we have to see of ‘honk honk,’ which is a new acronym of ‘Heil Hitler,'” said Saks. “What do we need to see by these protesters on social media?”

I was hoping there would be one of those conspiricy break downs about the number of letters used, their numerical place in the alphabet, BEDMAS.

Talk about low effort.

Sounds to me like a situation where some obscure neo-Nazis make it their “thing” (“Tee-hee, aren’t we clever!”) which gets picked up by the hyper-vigilant anti-racist types, which then go “Ah ha! Evidence of neo-Nazis!” Much like how the “ok” hand symbol is now seen as a symbol of “white power”.

Sounds to me like a situation where some obscure neo-Nazis make it their “thing” (“Tee-hee, aren’t we clever!”) which gets picked up by the hyper-vigilant anti-racist types, which then go “Ah ha! Evidence of neo-Nazis!” Much like how the “ok” hand symbol is now seen as a symbol of “white power”.
It's also the ASL sign for "asshole". :D

While there’s certainly overlap between the white supremacy movement and other hard right elements, including the convoy protests and some of their ideological leadership, (see, for instance the presence and involvement of individuals affiliated with Diagolon, plus some other lower-rent racists), I don’t for a second think that that was represented by the majority of people present or otherwise involved. I remember seeing some kid marching around with a ‘Canada First’ flag, but that’s really the only overt symbolism along those lines I can recall from my time on the line out there. The crowd WAS super white (though not 100% exclusively), but I only saw correlation and not causality in that.

Now, this protest was about a lot more than just vaccine mandates- there was a lot of generalized anti-current-government and anti-Trudeau sentiment. The protest was co-opted by some pretty shitty people, and a lot of pretty shitty people were there and taking leadership roles. I think anyone who was present needs to ask themselves some hard questions about just who they allowed themselves to become associated with and led by the nose by. The backgrounds and views of a lot of the organizers weren’t exactly secret. But I believe that what happened is this became a lightning rod for a more general airing of grievances, and it did get a lot of people caught up who were, at worst, naive and very misguided.

While there’s certainly overlap between the white supremacy movement and other hard right elements, including the convoy protests and some of their ideological leadership, (see, for instance the presence and involvement of individuals affiliated with Diagolon, plus some other lower-rent racists), I don’t for a second think that that was represented by the majority of people present or otherwise involved. I remember seeing some kid marching around with a ‘Canada First’ flag, but that’s really the only overt symbolism along those lines I can recall from my time on the line out there. The crowd WAS super white (though not 100% exclusively), but I only saw correlation and not causality in that.

Now, this protest was about a lot more than just vaccine mandates- there was a lot of generalized anti-current-government and anti-Trudeau sentiment. The protest was co-opted by some pretty shitty people, and a lot of pretty shitty people were there and taking leadership roles. I think anyone who was present needs to ask themselves some hard questions about just who they allowed themselves to become associated with and led by the nose by. The backgrounds and views of a lot of the organizers weren’t exactly secret. But I believe that what happened is this became a lightning rod for a more general airing of grievances, and it did get a lot of people caught up who were, at worst, naive and very misguided.
I absolutely agree with you there. I was just opining that this sounded like a case of a common symbol gets turned into a a different symbol by a couple obscure dicks, which gets picked up by polar opposite dicks as evidence that the common symbol now means you have common cause with the first set of dicks. 😖

I think you summed it up perfectly.

My takeaway from that goofball MP is how some people, especially politicians, try to use calling someone a nazi as a means to vilify and dehumanize them.

I think you summed it up perfectly.

My takeaway from that goofball MP is how some people, especially politicians, try to use calling someone a nazi as a means to vilify and dehumanize them.
It's a great way to delegitimize any concerns they have, because "only Nazis care about _____."

Think government lockdowns went too far during COVID? Nazi

Think the vaccine mandates were too much? Nazi

Think the reduction of parliament to a side show during the pandemic was a bad move? Nazi

So now instead of being able to discuss those things directly, you first have to spend time explaining that you're not like the Nazis, you're just a normal person with concerns. Make a slip of the tongue, or use some "dog whistle" the trolls on 4Chan came up with for laughs though, and it's proof you were a Nazi all along, and only Nazis care about ______

Nailed it....

Jack Knox: Protest patience has run out​

They wouldn’t be the first tourists to come for a spring break, fall in love with the place and decide to stay.

By this point, I neither know nor care about whatever excuse the convoy people are using for clogging the roads and making life miserable for the people who live here.

Vaccine mandates, masks, gas prices, they don’t like the way the Island votes, the same ill-defined disaffection that allowed Trump to become president, whatever. Doesn’t matter.

You can protest for or against whatever you want — really, fill your boots — but once you start treating ordinary people as cannon fodder in your class war, or whatever it is, you have lost the plot and revealed who you really are, no matter how much you gaslight them with talk of love, freedom and Woodstock.

Islanders are fed up. We have been through a hard two years, with most of us doing our best to row the boat in the same direction. Go honk somewhere else.

Back