• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Enquiry? Are those still a thing in Ottawa? Pshaw, kid's stuff to these veterans of the Ethics Wars.
It’s an automatic thing that is triggered that is built into this act. The LPC have no choice. And will have to face a lot of questions. What they will answer is another thing but it won’t be a good look after this is all said and done. Of course the opposition could still find a way to bungle that.

It’s an automatic thing that is triggered that is built into this act. The LPC have no choice. And will have to face a lot of questions. What they will answer is another thing but it won’t be a good look after this is all said and done. Of course the opposition could still find a way to bungle that.
The inquiry content is not defined. Furthermore, it needn’t be tabled before the Houses of Parliament until 360 days after the Expiration, or Revocation of Declaration or Revocation of Continuance (my guess it’ll be an RoC after being extended (X) times.)

Inquiry

• 63 (1) The Governor in Council shall, within sixty days after the expiration or revocation of a declaration of emergency, cause an inquiry to be held into the circumstances that led to the declaration being issued and the measures taken for dealing with the emergency.
  • Marginal note:Report to Parliament
    (2) A report of an inquiry held pursuant to this section shall be laid before each House of Parliament within three hundred and sixty days after the expiration or revocation of the declaration of emergency.

CTV news blurb just now. Lisa Laflamme pronouncing that "battle lines are being drawn" and a "tense showdown" is imminent. Very helpful.

Of course you all realize that Russia,China and every despot for the next 10+ years when chastized by the Canadian government for human rights abuse, are going to retort with: "Coming from a country that declared a security emergency and arrested people for setting up bouncy castles on the Parliament grounds"

Of course you all realize that Russia,China and every despot for the next 10+ years when chastized by the Canadian government for human rights abuse, are going to retort with: "Coming from a country that declared a security emergency and arrested people for setting up bouncy castles on the Parliament grounds"
Well our 'security emergency' is called Wednesday in those places....

And then the lawsuits started....

Canadian Civil Liberties Association to sue federal government over Emergencies Act​

CCLA says government's decision to invoke act infringes on Canadians' Charter rights​

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association (CCLA) announced Thursday that it plans to sue the federal government over its decision to invoke the Emergencies Act in response to ongoing protests and blockades.

"Emergency powers cannot and must not be normalized," said CCLA executive director Noa Mendelsohn.

She said use of the act "seriously infringes on the Charter rights of Canadians."

The Emergencies Act was invoked by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday in response to ongoing demonstrations against COVID-19 restrictions and vaccine mandates.

The federal government has argued that the demonstrations constitute a threat to Canada's economy and the safety of citizens. It's the first time the act has been triggered since it was approved by Parliament in 1988.

Mendelsohn acknowledged reports of "violent, racist and homophobic acts" occurring within the Ottawa protest but said the presence of those elements doesn't justify the introduction of measures the CCLA considers a violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The act gives the federal government temporary powers to quell protests by, among other things, banning travel to protest zones and prohibiting people from bringing minors to unlawful assemblies. The act also allows the federal government to restrict protesters' access to bank accounts.

It's almost like Trudeau was disappointed the convoy protestors were largely non-violent so he pushed the emergency act and freezing bank accounts to incite the protestors even more. Like he wants violence.
I don’t like the guy and I am sure he sees political opportunity in this. But I don’t actually believe he wants violence.

He could have called in the CAF if he really wanted to go full retard.

I don’t like the guy and I am sure he sees political opportunity in this. But I don’t actually believe he wants violence.

He could have called in the CAF if he really wanted to go full retard.
Doug Ford could literally have called on the CDS to provide CAF assistance per the NDA but chose not to and resolved other actions quite peacefully. No reason why Trudeau couldn’t have shown some real leadership.

Doug Ford could literally have called on the CDS to provide CAF assistance per the NDA but chose not to and resolved other actions quite peacefully. No reason why Trudeau couldn’t have shown some real leadership.
I wasn’t arguing that. And Doug ford supported the EA.

Back