• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Scolding isn't enough. Someone will have to have something actionable that they can take to court as a challenge.

Scolding isn't enough. Someone will have to have something actionable that they can take to court as a challenge.
Well I hate to be that guy but someone "small" ie poor has to have an account frozen by the banks or government.

The justice minister in Justin Trudeau’s government has said that if you hold the wrong political views, you should be worried about your bank account.
As for this who decides what is the "right" political view? He's sounding an awful lot like some of those underlings in the Soviet Regimes.

"To the Gulag until you learn the error of your ways"

Two-thirds of Canadians support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s decision to invoke the Emergencies Act to help handle the protests across the country, according to a new survey.

The Maru Public Opinion poll shows majority support for the measure in every province across the country with more than 70 per cent of those in B.C., Atlantic Canada and Quebec strongly in favour of the move while 65 per cent of those in Ontario approve. Those most likely to oppose invoking the Act can be found in Alberta (49 per cent) and Saskatchewan (43 per cent) where premiers of both those provinces have voiced their displeasure with the move.

While everyone here is not happy with it, Justin Trudeau is out there playing politics to win.

Who wants to bet the EA goes for more than 27 days (remaining of the 30-day period) unless
The Government has deftly not started the clock yet (while banks get a freebie front-end funds freezing pass)…

From a less left leaning source.

OTTAWA – Two-thirds of Canadians support Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s decision to invoke the Emergencies Act and believe it’s time to clear out Freedom Convoy protesters in Ottawa, even if people get hurt in the process, reveals a new poll.

Again, the average canadian just wants this to end and at this point, dont care how its done.

Again, the CPC finds itself offsides with the majority of Canadians.

PP voicing full throated support for the convoy will not play out well.

Yeah, been reading a lot of different websites with different political flavours.

Somehow these protests have managed to flip the script for who tolerates protests and who doesn't.

From a less left leaning source.

Again, the average canadian just wants this to end and at this point, dont care how its done.

Again, the CPC finds itself offsides with the majority of Canadians.

PP voicing full throated support for the convoy will not play out well.
I want it to end. I very much care how it's done, and so should you.

I want it to end. I very much care how it's done, and so should you.
I never said that i dont care how it ends, but it appears the majority of Canadians no longer care if people get hurt bringing this to an end.

Yeah, been reading a lot of different websites with different political flavours.

Somehow these protests have managed to flip the script for who tolerates protests and who doesn't.
Said it before and will say it again.

This convoy has managed to unite canadians...against them.

Friedrich Hayek (“Law, Legislation and Liberty, Volume 3” published in 1979):

‘Emergencies’ have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded – and once they are suspended it is not difficult for anyone who has assumed emergency powers to see to it that the emergency will persist.

Most protests are minorities (usually very small minorities) who annoy the people who are inconvenienced.

What is illuminating this time around is how fast the people who can usually be counted on to support and endure protests and pay lip service to restraint and tolerance shat themselves and starting punching up extraordinary and illiberal measures. A couple of them have let slip that their displeasure extends beyond the immediate protests and blockades and to the way they imagine the protestors think, and where the protestors' political sympathies might lie. That sh!t isn't going back into the horse.

It tends to validate Jonah Goldberg's theory in "Liberal Fascism" - to the extent fascism emerges in pluralistic modern democratic societies, it emerges from progressives.

Said it before and will say it again.

Altair - I have said it before and will say it again.

Whose Canadians? Your Canadians - in your bubble? My Canadians - in my bubble ( a very small bubble)? Or Real Canadians - whoever they may be?

And polls are not an answer - many rebellions, revolutions and even policy changes have been driven by minorities (the modern Grandaddy of them all being the Bolsheviks). The IRA is carried by a tiny minority.

As for the nationalist view that borders matter - borders have never prevented the flow of ideas, money or motivated people.

Brad beat me to the punch.

I never said that i dont care how it ends, but it appears the majority of Canadians no longer care if people get hurt bringing this to an end.

Needed to take another look at that.

One needs to be careful of one's wishes.

Most protests are minorities (usually very small minorities) who annoy the people who are inconvenienced.

What is illuminating this time around is how fast the people who can usually be counted on to support and endure protests and pay lip service to restraint and tolerance shat themselves and starting punching up extraordinary and illiberal measures. A couple of them have let slip that their displeasure extends beyond the immediate protests and blockades and to the way they imagine the protestors think, and where the protestors' political sympathies might lie. That sh!t isn't going back into the horse.

It tends to validate Jonah Goldberg's theory in "Liberal Fascism" - to the extent fascism emerges in pluralistic modern democratic societies, it emerges from progressives.
Or that this group has gone outside the norms of usual protests and as suvh has eroded public goodwill at a much faster rate than other protests.

BLM protests didnt bring trucks to block roadways. They had masses of people.

First nations protestors brough vehicles, but they sticked to or nearby their traditional lands.

The convoys entered cities, residential areas, ports of entry, and blocked them with vehicles.

And then proceeded to honk very loud horns in residential areas.

Again, so far outside the norms that canadians are supportive of a harsh crackdown on them.

I mean, unless you are calling 66 percent of canadians facists.

Altair - I have said it before and will say it again.

Whose Canadians? Your Canadians - in your bubble? My Canadians - in my bubble ( a very small bubble)? Or Real Canadians - whoever they may be?

And polls are not an answer - many rebellions, revolutions and even policy changes have been driven by minorities (the modern Grandaddy of them all being the Bolsheviks). The IRA is carried by a tiny minority.

As for the nationalist view that borders matter - borders have never prevented the flow of ideas, money or motivated people.

Brad beat me to the punch.
Canadians.

…until they find themselves on the receiving end of a funds freeze for whatever their own particular beliefs and principles represent.

Slippery slope indeed.

EA got whipped out faster than Harper’s CF-18s!

I mean, unless you are calling 66 percent of canadians facists.

Partly, yes. They didn't even have to be scared into this; inconvenience and some economic disruption was enough.

To be clear: I don't GAFF about the opinion of the majority when the majority is wrong.

Partly, yes. They didn't even have to be scared into this; inconvenience and some economic disruption was enough.

To be clear: I don't GAFF about the opinion of the majority when the majority is wrong.
Shame elections dont work on that principle.

Reminder of what Lametti (the Justice Minister) recently said: “Well, I think if you are a member of a pro-Trump movement who’s donating hundreds of thousands of dollars and millions of dollars to this kind of thing, then you oughta be worried.”

Sometimes the sh!t just slips out. Political affiliations and leanings should not be part of the discussion.

…until they find themselves on the receiving end of a funds freeze for whatever their own particular beliefs and principles represent.

Slippery slope indeed.

EA got whipped out faster than Harper’s CF-18s!
Again, when the majority of canadians support the EA, people running the protest need to reflect on their tactics, and how its turning people against them to such a degree.

And to those supporting the convoy, they should reflect on what exactly they are supporting.

When the majority of Canadians support the EA and dont much care about hurting people to shut the convoy down, a massive strategic error has been made on the part of those running the protest.

Back