• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Your file was refreshingly boring."

hotei said:
Journeyman, thank you for the clarification. I have had two people (both the captain whom I discussed this with, and another fellow who was a member of PPCLI) use the term rubberneck. It was explained to me, it comes from staring at the "boring" screen and then having them nod off and wake up (hence "rubbernecking").

That being said, I have seen a number of posts on the milnet forums using both the term "rubberneck" and "rubberhead". Glad to finally have that clarified!

And if you are going to be using that kind of language with me fella, you best be buying me dinner first  :rofl:.

Thanks again all!

Great post and good luck in the trade.

With 20+ years as a rubberhead (now retired) I can give you the definitive history of the term.  Not many people know it, as the cause of the nickname is long gone.  Your PPCLI friend is way off... the expression goes back far before computer screens were common in our vehicles and stations.  Rubberhead is a reference to the very big earphones (more like headphones) that the guys used to wear on the out-stations.  With 10-25 operators all pounding on keyboards and cursing and swearing at ghosts, it was imperative that their headphones could block out some of the noises around them, as they concentrated on the faintest pieces of static - trying to glean something useful.  These BIG rubber headphones led to other trades (techs/support) calling the operators 'rubberheads.'  Those days are long gone (preceded my entry in the late eighties), but the name has stuck around.

You'll learn to think of it as an affectionate term - unless its from an Int Op, in which case it is probably meant to be sarcastic (I say that with 20 years of respect for Int Ops); and now you know its meaning.  Good luck in the Comm Rsch world, you'll have your trials and tribulations, and find that the trade is going through its issues with high turnover of leadership (as per the rest of the CF) - but in the end, it is a great career. 

LOL i'm still wondering how much of a sense of humour Comm Rsch has!
Why did the rubber chicken cross the road? (no offense hehe)

Back