• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You and your UAB.

Gramps

Reaction score
I am just putting this out there since I have received a number of phone calls regarding UAB coming back from Afghanistan. For those of you who have followed the rules wrt UAB this might help explain some things. For those of  you who choose not to follow the guidelines then this is mainly directed at you.

As it stands now some of you may be waiting up to six months or so to get your UAB. Here is why.

It is apparent that there are many troops who think they require switchblades, butterfly knives and brass knuckles upon returning to Canada. For those of you who do not know, these items are prohibited weapons. As a result of certain other people attempting to bring the above mentioned items (and more) back in their UAB CBSA (AKA Customs) has no choice but to inspect every piece of UAB (and I mean every single piece) either with an X-Ray machine or by hand. This of course slows down the entire process, takes people who could be employed doing other things, and congests the entire system.

So if you are one of these people who think you have something to prove with stupid little toys please think again. If you are one of the people awaiting your UAB and have followed the guidelines then you can blame the little boys who need their brass knuckles.

I take it Gramps that some people are still stupid and think the world revolves around them and they are exempt?    These are usually the ones who complain the most about the lateness (and the usually laziness of trades!!)  of their personal kit sans illegal items.

Smarten up people!  Follow the rules and everyone comes out okay and gets their kit home on time. 
:2c:  just trying to help out...

:army:

riddle me this then...
How did my UAB addressed to Kingston (clearly, I might add), wind up in Edmonton after returning from 3-08?
Edmonton was not the mounting base BTW.
It took until June to get it back from there after I got back in March, while everyone else had theirs waiting for them in Pet when they arrived?
Just a rhetorical question.

Oh yeah, the TFC Techs in KAF told me that they didn't have the time to make up waybills, because I didn't meet my unit dates for UAB turn in...I had all my stuff out in Zhari at the time and didn't come in 'till 3 days before I left.
"just put a destination on it and it'll be there when you get home"
Uh Huh...riiight

If you were told that by a traffic tech then I would have to say that they did not do their job correctly (and I am being polite when I say that). There would have had to have been documentation somewhere on it or they could receive fines from CBSA for it. How it ended up in Edmonton is beyond me, that would be best answered by someone in CMTT (shipping/receiving). Although I would hazard a guess that if it was documented improperly from KAF then that would possibly be a contributing factor in it going astray. Either way, it was not handled properly (by the sounds of it) from the get go. This is a good example of complacency and I will use this for the new tradesmen as a prime example of what not to do with any shipment.

Back