• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yes...Airbrake Boards

762gunner

Inactive
Reaction score
    Howdy all.  I've been trying to upgrade an airbrake board at a Reserve Unit, and having a heck of a time.  I used to have an SOA with the parts and prices listed, but it's expired.  Customer Services at Base are unable to find a current SOA or even to provide any procedures for ordering replacement/repair parts.  They gave me a supplier name in Quebec and basically told me to sort it out myself from scratch.  really?

I would like to order about $2000 of parts.  Has anyone recently ordered any airbrake parts for their board?  Wouldst thou have a copy of the FULL SOA (not the index) that I could get please?

We have a PO on an army base (bless his heart) but he's on his retirement slump and is out of f**** to give.  I am not a supply tech but I have our Section 32 guy on my side.

I appreciate any information or assistance that you supply gods out there can provide.

Cheers eh!

The majority of these boards are embedded with actual parts found in the system. Try looking at it from a different angle - contact the nearest (support) base maint shop. Locate the spare parts buyer and see if they can assist. If you have the plates, or can get the plates for an HLVW or LAV air system, the sup tech can help. The HLVW are not COTS anymore and no longer under warranty therefore a lot of parts can be found in the system.

But don't hold your breath. Failing that, Calian probably.

Redneck Trucker-wannabe said:
    Howdy all.  I've been trying to upgrade an airbrake board at a Reserve Unit, and having a heck of a time.  I used to have an SOA with the parts and prices listed, but it's expired.  Customer Services at Base are unable to find a current SOA or even to provide any procedures for ordering replacement/repair parts.  They gave me a supplier name in Quebec and basically told me to sort it out myself from scratch.  really?

I would like to order about $2000 of parts.  Has anyone recently ordered any airbrake parts for their board?  Wouldst thou have a copy of the FULL SOA (not the index) that I could get please?

We have a PO on an army base (bless his heart) but he's on his retirement slump and is out of f**** to give.  I am not a supply tech but I have our Section 32 guy on my side.

I appreciate any information or assistance that you supply gods out there can provide.

Cheers eh!

If you can hold off until the new year, I can check the SOA website for you.  I remember the there being a SOA for complete airbrake boards but not parts.

Customer Service at your base doesn't sound very customer servicey if they can't help.  I don't know how LPO and customer services work for the Reserves but them telling you to do the leg work is common in the Reg Force.  You know your requirement better than anybody else and the LPO office is just there to finalize the buying.  In my experience generally we find our vendors, gets quotes and fill out all the right paperwork and they do the order, receipt the equipment when it comes in and pay it out.  There are only a few of them and lots of requirements so it behooves the end user to do as much of the initial work as possible.  I am going to assume that since you deal with Customer Service that you have no one to enter purchase requisitions into DRMIS and they do all that for you.

To order the parts yourself(or at least do 90% of the legwork)

1)  ID all the parts you need and find sources of supply (The old SOA is a good start). Although given that it sounds like there are numerous parts you need to order not every vendor will have everything you need, you may need to seek multiple vendors.

2)  Get the require quotes.  For $2000 it is 2 quotes.  Again this could be tricky if you can't find all the parts and have to use multiple vendors.  Ensure you include all email traffic with the order so show you aren't trying to contract split the requirement.

3)  Get Section 32 (Financial Authority to spend) and a Fin Code (Fund, Cost Center and IO)

4)  Write up all the parts on a 2227/2228

5)  Submit it all to LPO/Customer Service

Thanks for the ideas and directions.  In Edmonton parts that are unsuitable for functional use but could be used on an airbrake board must be thrown out and cannot be retrieved from a garbage bin.  I guess this makes sense... in theory what if I were to use a brake chamber or any valve that had internal damage and blew apart when a student was using it?  The paperwork would be horrendous  ;)

According to the last transport CSM I talked to, only approved parts from a vendor supplying parts specifically for an airbrake trainer can be used.  This is the info that Customer Service no longer has, but going to a supplier myself means buying training parts that are a LOT more expensive than what's usually on the SOA's.  One of the parts I need is silencers for the tanks... when students drain tanks in our classroom the sound level is well over 110 db.  No one but a training supplier seems to sell those.

I was hoping that Supply would provide me with the single POC from the SOA, but I have no problem doing the legwork myself.

MJP, thanks for the info.  One of the civvies checked for me, and all they found was an SOA Index to the expired one... no SOA by their reckoning.  Should you find something, I owe you, but don't go through any trouble.

Cheers!

Back