• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

X=mas 2005 posting message

Mojo Magnum

Inactive
Reaction score
hmmmm,
Looking for some concrete info.  Though I realize it's unlikely, I'll throw this one out there and see what happens.

I have just finished bmq, graduated and departed for christmas from the Mega yesterday.  My posting message says my occupation training begins end of April in Kingston.  As a sig op, I was under the impression I had to do SQ before occupation training but there was no mention of it on the posting message.  At this point I'm directed to present myself at Kingston after the holidays where I expect to be directed to Bordan to go on PAT.

1. Can anyone shed some light on when/if I'll do SQ?
2. Will I be permitted to live at home while at Bordan (as I live less than an hour from there)?
3. If I'm not doing SQ between now and the end of April, does anyone know what kind of training might be offered at Bordan between now and then?
4. How likely is OJT for someone fresh out of bmq?

Any input would be appreciated.

From my experience with transferring a reservist to the regular force as a Sig Op and from talking to the PRETC staff in Borden.   You will be doing SQ, the driver wheeled course and any other courses needed to prepare you for the QL 3 in Kingston.

From what I have seen at CFJSR this past year is that you do your Sig Op Apprentice Course, get posted to your new unit and then you do your SQ.  Mind you, when I did my QL 3, we did Land Environmental Training (what SQ used to be called) with CFSCE then we did our Rad Op course...Things change depending on who's in charge at the time...

Mojo Magnum said:
1. Can anyone shed some light on when/if I'll do SQ?
2. Will I be permitted to live at home while at Bordan (as I live less than an hour from there)?
3. If I'm not doing SQ between now and the end of April, does anyone know what kind of training might be offered at Bordan between now and then?
4. How likely is OJT for someone fresh out of bmq?

1.  see my previous post.
2.  I doubt it.
3.  You will be doing a lot of the same stuff you did during Basic
4.  Likely.  When I was with CFSTG TIS in Borden, we had quite a few PATs in for OJT at the Helpdesk, 1st line Maint, etc...  Mind you, you won't get the OJT that will help you out much on your apprentice course.  The only other Sigs unit in Borden is 700 Comm Sqn, a reserve unit.  You won't be going there.

What are the chances of getting approved for OJT in Kingston or Petawawa? From speaking with some other new recruits who just graduated that is their plan when they get back to Borden.

Hoover said:
What are the chances of getting approved for OJT in Kingston or Petawawa? From speaking with some other new recruits who just graduated that is their plan when they get back to Borden.

Again from my experiences (see previous post) this is highly unlikely to happen as CFSCE has quite a few PATs and are not willing to accept anymore especially when the whole point of PRETC is to make sure that the PATs are properly prepared for the QL3 and the PRETC in Borden is the best place to have this done.

Here i go sounding like a newbie again but....could someone please explain, what are PRETC and CFSCE? 

CFSCE is the Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics ( in Kingston). PRETC is the "holding/training " unit at Borden (not sure of full name). PRETC is there to give you needed training (SQ and basic driver) while you wait for a slot to be available for you at CFSCE. I did OJT at Comox about 4 years ago while I waited for my 3's and it was nice to be close to home but I did'nt learn anything that would have helped me on my 3's. Good luck and have fun.

I was confused over whether or not I would have to do SQ as I have done the extended 13 week BMQ. However for most of us we'll find out info on PRETC only when we finally arrive at CFB Borden.

yes i was hoping for a little insight as well, but, i'll just focus on enjoying the last few days with the family.
happy new year all!!!

DH is currently doing his SigOp training here in Kingston and even though I am fully aware that there is no standard I thought that I could give you some insight of what took place with him as it is fairly fresh.

He only did a 10 week BMQ and graduated in June 05.  He than reported to Borden and was sent a week later from Borden to his SQ training.  Once he reported back to Borden he completed Driver Training and than sat around and waited for his course to start in December, not bad concidering some of the other poor gents there waiting. 

There was no OJT opportunities for him at that time. Not saying that there wont be for you though.

Hope that this helps answer some of your questions.  But unfortunatly as others have stated you just never know what is in store for you.

Thanx for the insight,
it looks like I will be looking at the same sort of thing, I'm off to SQ within a week or so.

time to lose all that christmas turkey!!!

I'm thinking of joining as a medic, does anyone know what can be expected as a PAT at PRETC. SQ, driver training etc......?

Thanks

Back