• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WW3 en route?

I love how people waste there time putting there 2 cents in on my title. Its put as a question not as a statement. I think that within the next 5-10 years a significant conflict will happen, and the worlds power balance will be secured by the victorious parties, at least for the next 100 years. Theres to many spots in the world that needs just one spark to ignite ww3.

hagan_91 said:
I love how people waste there time putting there 2 cents in on my title. Its put as a question not as a statement. I think that within the next 5-10 years a significant conflict will happen, and the worlds power balance will be secured by the victorious parties, at least for the next 100 years. Theres to many spots in the world that needs just one spark to ignite ww3.

Define "significant," please. If Israel nukes Tehran and a few other Iranian pleasure spots, in order to set back its nuclear ambitions, is that a "significant" conflict? Even if it doesn't spread? How about if Turkey invades Syria, as a "peacekeeper?" Would that be significant? Do you think Russia would, or even could invade Turkey?

hagan_91 said:

I would disagree - there are a lot of spots in the world that nobody cares about if you light it on fire, as long as the rest of the world can carry on with business as usual.  I.e. Egypt, Syria, Ivory Coast, Congo, Yemen, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, etc...

And none of these conflicts would result in a new power balance.

Now see, if Russia decided to go full-scale with it's desire to own lots and lots of underwater ice (hehehe silly people) that rightfully belongs to Her Majesty The Queen of Canada; then that is a different story. With their recent creation of Arctic "response" units, I can see Putin doing things he shouldn't be. After all, he had his buddy Medvedev change Russian law so he could serve another term as president, rig the elections to win etc. He's a dirty man and nobody should trust him.

E.R. Campbell said:
Is China going to try to displace the USA as the worlds dominant power? Yes. Is China willing to fight to accomplish that goal? Maybe ... if they are attacked or, even, pushed into a corner on some issue which they see as a vital interest. What is an interest sufficiently vital to make China fight? Taiwan. Are we or should we be willing to go to war against China to prevent the reunification of Taiwan with the rest of China? No, we should not be interested in that.
We should be well interested, but not for going to war.
It will never come to that. And on the miniscule chance that it might, it would be over long before any of the West could intervene.
I agree that China would fight if they feel they are backed into a corner. Perspective is everything. One might well recall the Japanese circa 1941.

I doubt China would launch a pre-emptive strike, given the cards on the international table, but might do some strategic affront with regards to vital shipping routes. Which Formosa does indeed upon lie.

But an invasion of Taiwan would cost so much money far better spent in the economic sphere, and in which China already has the upper hand.
In the 15 years I have called Taiwan my home, there have been innumerable inroads from the Middle Kingdom, some subtle,  others flagrant. All propaganda aside, most Chinese on both sides of the strait realise the folly of war over the repatriation of our "renegade province"

Back