• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wreck of I-400, Japanese World War II-era megasub, found off Hawaii coast

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
This was the first of 2 Imperial Japanese Navy megasubs that were supposed to attack the Panama Canal with seaplane bombers stored in their hangars late in World War II, but never got to finish their mission...

images

Yahoo news

World War Two era Japanese submarine found off Hawaii coast

HONOLULU (Reuters) - Scientists plumbing the Pacific Ocean off the Hawaii coast have discovered a World War Two era Japanese submarine, a technological marvel that had been preparing to attack the Panama Canal before being scuttled by U.S. forces.

The 400-foot (122-meter) "Sen-Toku" class vessel — among the largest pre-nuclear submarines ever built - was found in August off the southwest coast of Oahu and had been missing since 1946, scientists at the University of Hawaii at Manoa said.

The I-400 and its sister ship, the I-401, which was found off Oahu in 2005,
were able to travel one and a half times around the world without refueling and could hold up to three folding-wing bombers that could be launched minutes after resurfacing, the scientists said.

The accidental discovery of the 1-400, an aircraft-toting I-400 mega sub, on the rock- and debris-littered ocean floor, some 2,300 feet beneath the surface, has solved the mystery surrounding a ship long thought to be further afield.

Hmmm you know a Victoria class sub, with an F-35B on it in a hanger might just cause some of the critics heads to pop!

Colin P said:
Hmmm you know a Victoria class sub, with an F-35B on it in a hanger might just cause some of the critics heads to pop!

We can just pay for it by cutting some of Quebecs equalization payments  >:D

MilEME09 said:
We can just pay for it by cutting some of Quebecs equalization payments  >:D
I Second that Motion, well, lets get down to business.  >:D

Back