• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wow, firing the M-1 Garand

M

MAJOR_Baker

Well I finally decided to break out my Garand last Saturday.  WOW!  I have fired G-41s and 43s but never a Garand.  What a smooth action and very accurate.  I was shooting at a 12 inch bullseye at 100 Meters with iron sights, sitting supported position, lake city ball surplus, and I was consistently shooting 3 inch groups.  I thought that was pretty darn good considering that the target was pretty much covered by the front blade sight.   

A friend brought one on our Bison Hunt this Jan and it was pretty neat to fire.  He was able to drop a wolf at 100 meters that was on the run, took three shots but he did it. :threat:

The M1 is a beautiful rifle, even in this day and age of auto everything.

edited to add: Wait until you get an M1 thumb!!  ;D

The FN Model 49 is also very nice to fire, esp chambered in .30-06 Springfield like the Garand. 

I found the Garand to be a nice, smooth push compared to the relative bark of an Enfield.  Now, that said, for a bolt-gun, the Enfield is a WONDERFUL rifle. 

If you like the Garand, try an M-14 (or clone) and get the same push, with about 30% less recoil.  I actually likened it to firing a slightly heavy .223.  (Had a real HEAVY stock on the rifle to get that result) but the Garand is a nice, classic shooter.  The *PING* is a neat sound too!  Not to mention the 8 rounds you get to shoot (most C/F S/A's have a 5 round mag limit by Canadian Law, the Garand is specifically exempted.)

NS

S_Baker said:
Well I finally decided to break out my Garand last Saturday. .   

You mean that you hade a Grand and you just got it out  :eek:

I saw one at a gunshow in the fall for $800 and i was pretty much going to buy it on the spot but my bank account wouldent allow it  :mad:

(Also at that gunshow was a working Thompson, now I can tell you those things are heavy as heck).

The "ping" was not such a nice sound,it told the (German,Jap) around the corner or behind the
tree that you would be reloading and for a couple of seconds defenseless.
                          Regards

time expired said:
The "ping" was not such a nice sound,it told the (German,Jap) around the corner or behind the
tree that you would be reloading and for a couple of seconds defenseless.
                          Regards

Ejection of an empty clip created a distinctive and unnatural metallic "pinging" sound. In World War II, reports arose that German and Japanese infantry were making use of this noise in combat to alert them to an empty M1 rifle in order to 'get the drop' on their American counterparts. The information was taken seriously enough that U.S. Army's Aberdeen Proving Ground began experiments with clips made of various plastics in order to quieten the sound, though no improved clips were ever adopted.[7] During the Korean War, American soldiers supposedly used the sound to their advantage, noting that the enemy would reveal themselves when they heard the clip eject, and would carry and throw empty clips as a decoying tactic. However, all of these reports are largely unsubstantiated, and, in reality, clip ejection noise in the larger cacophony of infantry small arms combat likely had little effect one way or another in most engagements.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand_Rifle

Back