• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Worldcup 2006 (Note: May contain spoilers if you are recording games)

A question for those more enlightened than myself: I understand that the US is ranked fifth in the world. Now, would this ranking be a result of all the games the US has played against other CONCACAF squads? How does it work? They got schooled yesterday...and I loved it.

It's good to see Italy playing a more offensive minded game for a change. I have not seen them play like this ....since I can remember. I hope Lippi keeps it up because I've grown tired of watching Italy (under Trapattoni) not use its offensive talent adequately.  Luca Toni ..I'm hoping he will have a break out WC and carry the azzurri to the final....he's got to toughen up a little more though. He certainly is capable , with over 30 goals this year at Fiorentina, (which he helped lead to a spot in Champions League for 2006/07), plus a European Golden Boot.

Forza Azzurri

Yeah it's got something to do with goals scored and games won in the CONCACAF conference and you can see the flaw in that.
It's just like any other ranking system involving teams who never play each other (well just the BCS in the states but you get the point)

Observations on the Togo v. S. Korea game?
Sort of surprised Togo is leading but Korea hasn't won a game on European soil, ever, so I'm not too surprised.

And the Korean fans have giant drums and you can really hear them go.

So Korea pulled it out at the end, I wasn't impressed by overall team perf. on either side.
One of the Korean strikes was textbook though.

France tied the Swiss; watched the whole game and I was amazed that this is supposed to be the same Thierry who plays for Arsenal and does Citron commercials because he looked lacklustre. The swiss looked good and they're supposed to be the second youngest side in the tournament, but I think France was overrated to begin with (this is actually the same team that won the cup in 98....8 years older and it showed).

Now watching Brazil and Croatia.
1-0 with 15 mins left, Croatia is holding their own here regardless of the score.
Haven't seen much out of the highly touted Ronaldinho, Brazil is playing their game though, laid back set ups it's nice to watch but they're not breaking the Croat Defense.

Go Korea!
I was also not impressed with the flow of the game, but win is a win and I'll take it!
Korea needs to connect more with the pass, and go in deep with the ball and create chances.
They're more than capable of accomplishing this.
Now, the free kick by Lee Chun Soo was very pretty indeed. We need more pretty goals like that.
Lee's goal celebration was to honour Lee Dong Kook, who was injured 2 months before the World Cup start.
Can't wait till the next game against France. I would like the Korean team to continue the streak of France's goal drought since 1998.

Based on France's play today that shouldn't be a problem. I'd say the Swiss will provide a challenge because of their age and technical abilities.
I'd like to see the Swiss and SK go through, the French don't deserve to go through they've done nothing to develop their youth programme in their country and it shows. Poor Djibril Cisse broke his leg, I'll give them that, that's awful news for him and the French National team though.

Gooo Germany!

Wasnt that impressed with the game today. 99% yellow cards and one last minute goal. But to be optimistic.. They won! Nothing beats going down James Street in Hamilton (for any Hamilton folks.. you know  ::)) with a flag other then Portugal or Italy! I got a few beer bottles chucked at me. Well worth the victory run! I would love for a Germany vs. Portugal, Germany vs. Italy, or a Italy vs. Portugal (last time the latter happened it was like a little war)

Ummmm, Africa's a continent, dude, not a country.

Haven't updated the thread in a while despite a number of interesting things occuring and I do have some thoughts:

Ghana making it to the knockout round was good to see and despite losing they really, really proved that they can play, they were like rockets out there the whole game...rockets who couldn't finish at the net.

I'm strangely pleased France beat Spain, it was like the match of teams I dislike, if they could have somehow gotten argentina to play as well it would have been my top three lease favourite teams.

England now faces portugal and I must say I'm somewhat optimistic, I've discovered that for all of the bad things said about England they force teams to play their game and that's how they win...and it's never pretty.

Speaking of portugal, that match against the dutch was pitiful, an atrocious display of sportsmanship from both teams and an inept referee made for a shitshow of a match that I watched for the same reasons I watch Jerry springer sometimes.

Brazil is peaking, which bodes well for them in their match against a slightly improving French team.

Italy v. Ukraine...I'm not interested in either team right now to be honest so I don't quite know what to say other than the games involving the Italians haven't been my favourite games to watch.

Germany v. argentina will be a good match, even better if Michael Ballack's injury is not as serious as it could be.

I have not said much ina way of opinion, yet tommorow for me is a very tense day in this World cup.

If the two teams I wish to advance do well, then they will not meet in the final but will battle it out before....

I express my feelings with pictures..

806182973.jpg

maradona%201.jpg

Joga Bonito

tess

As much as I like Maradona for being a really solid all around player with flash (which is rare) I'm one of those typical English who refuses to let "the hand of God" go.
But, they're playing the Germans....if I could somehow pick a game where both teams would just say "Hey, lets take up basketball" and exit, that'd be the one.

I do wish you the best though obviously, religion and politics are things we shant mention and I know football is religion for people like us.

I'm with Che on this one, I don't want either team to advance.  We can only hope that in the second half 22 red cards get handed out, or maybe a particularly nasty strain of amoebic dysentery hits both sides from out of nowhere. Nothing fatal, just enough to keep em all on the crapper until, oh say, August sometime would be nice.

Argentina up 1-0 now,
A guy at work has been singing the praises of the German team and simaultaneously bashing the English so I've decided if I want anyone to win it'll be the Argentines. Partly because I want the English to play and beat them, and partly becuase this guy at work is really getting on my nerves.

I think a case could be made against that last save, the keeper was well off his mark before the ball was struck.  Still doesn't excuse that that display of childish petulance at the end, though.... REMEMBER HMS SHEFFIELD!

Well done, Wayne Rooney  ::).  He is without a doubt the biggest boob England has seen since Barbara Windsor hit puberty.  He's got loads of talent, but at the end of the day, a donkey that can play the piano is still a beast of the field that craps on the floor.

Back