• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Work Scheduale on Tour

ballz

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I tried to look for it and can't find it. Its kind of a hard question to search.

When you're on tour, what are the shifts like... I know obviously it's not as simple as "2 weeks on, 1 week off." But generally you know, if you go out for 2 weeks, how long do you get off when you come back. How long are most trips out? 1, 2, 3 weeks? etc.

Also, in a situation that we're in like right now, where they're going through a rotation of regiments, how often do you go on tour?

Sorry if it's all been covered, just direct me somewhere else and lock it up and I'll do the reading myself.

With an empty profil like yours, I have to say to if I were a soldier I would be a bit paranoiac,
in the George Wallace sense, with yours questions , even if 
Well I've already been accepted to ROTP

You are operational 24 hours of the day.

No rest, except for the occasional pee break....

btw it is schedule.

Good to know, considering you are going to to do ROTP....

dileas

tess

that is a lock

milnet.ca staff

I was wondering how often the Infantry guys work for, when deployed to say..Afghan. I know there are topics on the "Average day in the infantry" which mostly discusses life on Garrison, but I mean when they are deployed. From what I've gathered, even on their 'downtime' they are still considered working because they could get called up to roll out at any time.

I've heard from a lot of people that the infantry barely rest, and spend everyday, all day, outside the wire. Which I'm sure they do spend a lot of the time outside the wire, but some of it seems to be overexaggerated. I read a book by a former US soldier in the Infantry that served 12 months in Iraq and claims he had more downtime than he knew what to do with it. But, at the same time, he served with a different country in a different country. So I think what i'm looking for is someone with first hand experience. sorry if that was confusing.

Thanks again O` Leary.

There's not much to add aside from what 48th said.

As part of the Battle Group for TF 1-08, I spent the whole tour "outside the wire". However, this just means outside KAF. Plenty of my time was spent inside one FOB or another, and many a night was spent sleeping in the dust. We were "on duty" 24/7, there were lots of times where we had to respond to something on a "day off". The days we did get off though, we always had something to do, whether it was weapons maintenance or cleaning the LAVs, you name it. Our down time was usually spent sleeping, working out, or watching movies.

I had the same questions before I deployed, and I received a good answer. You have enough time to yourself. Personally, I found myself getting antsy when we were sitting around for a couple days with nothing to do. This was mainly when I was in KAF before and after leave. I don't think I spent more than a week and a half of my entire tour in KAF, including when I arrived, leave, and ramp ceremonies. I know I hated it there, as did most of us.

Another question I had before I left was how much sleep would we get. The answer is enough to do your job. I reached a point where 4 hours a night was a blessing. If I got 8 hours to sleep I was in heaven!

Tipperary said:

As part of the Battle Group for TF 1-08, I spent the whole tour "outside the wire". However, this just means outside KAF. Plenty of my time was spent inside one FOB or another, and plenty was spent sleeping in the dust. We were "on duty" 24/7, there were plenty of times where we had to respond to something on a "day off". The days we did get off though, we always had something to do, whether it was weapons maintenance or cleaning the LAVs, you name it. Our down time was usually spent sleeping, working out, or watching movies.

I had the same questions before I deployed, and I received a good answer. You have enough time to yourself. Personally, I found myself getting antsy when we were sitting around for a couple days with nothing to do. This was really only when I was in KAF before and after leave. I don't think I spent more than a week and a half of my entire tour in KAF, including when I arrived, leave, and ramp ceremonies. I know I hated it there, as did most of us.

Another question I had before I left was how much sleep would we get. The answer is enough to do your job. I reached a point where 4 hours a night was a blessing. If I got 8 hours to sleep I was in heaven!

I wish you were around when I first posted. This is exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, I eventually got basically the exact same answer from someone I met but yeah... This puts it a lot better perspective. Thank you.

Tipperary said:

As part of the Battle Group for TF 1-08, I spent the whole tour "outside the wire". However, this just means outside KAF. Plenty of my time was spent inside one FOB or another, and many a night was spent sleeping in the dust. We were "on duty" 24/7, there were lots of times where we had to respond to something on a "day off". The days we did get off though, we always had something to do, whether it was weapons maintenance or cleaning the LAVs, you name it. Our down time was usually spent sleeping, working out, or watching movies.

I had the same questions before I deployed, and I received a good answer. You have enough time to yourself. Personally, I found myself getting antsy when we were sitting around for a couple days with nothing to do. This was mainly when I was in KAF before and after leave. I don't think I spent more than a week and a half of my entire tour in KAF, including when I arrived, leave, and ramp ceremonies. I know I hated it there, as did most of us.

Thanks for the informative answer. I always thought 'outside the wire' meant when you leave the FOB. My bad.

Back