• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Women in U.S. infantry (USMC, Rangers, etc. - merged)

Women in the infantry? And my wife keeps telling me that women are smarter than men... sheesh... ::)

Fill the ranks
More than enough look like men anyway :camo:

Baden  Guy said:
The first thing I thought of upon hearing this news story was :

"The statistics revealed in The Invisible War, which won the audience award at this year's Sundance film festival, make shocking reading: a female soldier in combat zones is more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire, over 20% of female veterans have been sexually assaulted while serving in the US army, of 3,192 sexual-assault reports in 2011 only 191 members of the military were convicted at courts martial.

More at LINK.

And coincidentally this story while from the USAF still speaks to the same problem.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/lackland-air-force-base_n_2535035.html

I actually just watched The Invisible War on TV a couple of nights ago; heart wrenching.  The US has much room for improvement in the area of both dealing with sexual assaults and seemingly a culture of sexual harassment in the military workplace.  I haven't had a briefing telling me that rapes were prevented by "dressing more appropriately" or "always travel in pairs (Really!! On base and in my uniform!!?? Just wow.)" since the 80s when we figured out that rape is not a "sexual" thing --- it's a control thing.  The fact that a female military nurse actually advised one of the rape victims that "he took advantage of the opportunity that you provided him with and therefore you need to understand that you were not raped and that is not rape" blew me away: she was hammered and passed out.  --- I'd have punched the nurse in the f'n face, never mind the fact that it was the females fellow male soldiers who dragged him off her and took her to the hospital to report. Unfreakingbelieveable.

I believe that the "follow-ups" at the end of the documentary detailed that power to convene CMs for sexual assaults had been removed from Commanding Officers in the US now and that they must send all aggravated sexual assault and rape cases up for a special CM.

Baby steps forward.  So glad that we are beyond all this in the CF.  Glad that women in the US have now been given the possibility of serving their country where and how they wish provided they can meet the required standard to perform those jobs.  If willing, able and capable - more power to them.

Combat arms makeup only a small percent of the overall Army. Much ado about nothing IMO. There are female officers and even female Sgt Majors. If you are competent the cream rises to the top.

tomahawk6 said:
Combat arms makeup only a small percent of the overall Army. Much ado about nothing IMO. There are female officers and even female Sgt Majors. If you are competent the cream rises to the top.

Absolutely agreed.

tomahawk6 said:

I agree much ado, but doesn't opening up the combat positions now improve the promotional prospects of women by now being able to get the combat command ticket punched? This was a comment made in an interview I heard yesterday. Progression into / within senior officer and flag ranks for women was claimed to be slower because of the so-called lack of combat command experience at various levels (Battalion or Brigade was the example quoted).

tomahawk6 said:
If you are competent the cream rises to the top.

A double entendre about the recent rash of senior leadership being caught fratanizing?

While doing work up in Ft Irwin, California, I was the GIB for our BISON.  I had a female CC and Driver.  All three of us were professionals, although my CC could make an infanteer blush I'm sure.

I have worked with mixed crews/platoons/patrols etc. both in theater and during extended Dom ops.  Guess what??

No problems.  None.  We were all professionals, there to do a job. 

And when the bullets and mortars, and rockets are incoming, race, religion, gender, creed, all goes out the window.  It doesn't matter.  All that matters is who is on your team and who is on their team and where those rounds are landing and coming from.

That being said, are there males and females that have no business anywhere near the FEBA? Yep.  but that is not a gender issue as much as a useless plug issue.

End of Story. 

That's my  :2c: for now

My sister is the first Reg force Female WO in the CF and teaches at the school in Gagetown.  I'm told she's highly thought of.

Meh

People who are allowed in combat units but not wanted will just find themselves in cushy safe jobs. Happens with guys and girls.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Meh

People who are allowed in combat units but not wanted will just find themselves in cushy safe jobs. Happens with guys and girls.

Are you suggesting that soldiers posted to the schools are those that the field force casts off because "they can't cut it"?  Or that sort of work is cushy?

That's not how I interpreted it.  There are easier jobs in all trades.  The glue bags seem to gravitate to them.

The Anti-Royal said:
Are you suggesting that soldiers posted to the schools are those that the field force casts off because "they can't cut it"?  Or that sort of work is cushy?

I was under the assumption that soldiers posted to schools actually spend way more time in the field than field units but I have no idea about who get's sent to the schools and why.

My comment was meant in the greater scheme of things a unit will identify soldiers who shouldn't be in combat and find a way to shuffle them somewhere out of the way so they don't get anyone hurt with their incompetence. That's regardless of gender.

Sheep Dog my post had nothing at all to do with your sister I meant in general but I can see how it could be misinterpreted as such.

Ive worked under two female infantry WO's, and they are some of the toughest soldiers out there. However I have worked with many others who have been the complete opposite.

That is more then true. I think the problem, which has been stated previously, is the ratio of men to women. Because of the few women you work with in the combat arms, the greater their actions influence your opinion.

An officer doesnt need to be in the combat arms to attain general officer. Ann Dunwoody is a logistics officer and attained the rank of General.She is now retired. Other fields that have seen female general officers is Intelligence,Medical and artillery to name a few.When asked if she thought that she would ever be a general officer.Its a great example of her humor.

"There is no one more surprised than I — except, of course, my husband. You know what they say, 'Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man.'"

T6, I agree that one does not need to be in combat arms to attain flag rank, male or female. And Gen. Dunwoody is an excellent example if even half of what I have read of her is accurate.

But there is / was the perception that fully qualified females were being overlooked for more senior positions due to a supposed lack of combat command experience, because they could not fill those roles. And a perception that the "Old Boys Network" favored those who had commanded combat units over those that didn't, which would be a disadvantage for women.

And just to be clear, I don't necessarily agree with the perceptions. Combat is combat, regardless of the job one actually does in that situation. Rounds coming down range do not discriminate. And it's about time that the prohibition was lifted.

Back