• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WO Wilson, Cpl. McLaren, Pte. Diplaros - 1 RCR - 05 Dec. 2008

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
10
Points
580
3 soldiers' deaths in Afghanistan push Canada's toll past 100
Last Updated: Friday, December 5, 2008 | 12:42 PM ET CBC News

Canada's troops in Afghanistan passed a grim milestone after three soldiers were killed Friday — more than 100 Canadians have now died while serving in the war-torn country.

Before that, 97 Canadian soldiers and one Canadian diplomat, Glyn Berry, had been killed in the country.

The soldiers were killed by an improvised explosive device, more commonly known as a roadside bomb, as they travelled through the Arghandab district in the southern province of Kandahar, said the CBC's David Common.

The blast occurred after the soldiers' armoured vehicle rolled over the bomb at about 9 a.m. local time, said Common, reporting from Kandahar.

"We can presume it was a very large device because, of course, this was an armoured vehicle," said Common.

The military has not yet released the names of the soldiers.

Canadian soldiers have been fighting in the Arghandab district, a hotbed of insurgent activity, for many months.

The past summer was a particularly violent one in Afghanistan, with insurgents carrying out several high-profile attacks on troops from the NATO-commanded International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

As the temperature dropped, militant attacks subsided with it. Three months have passed since the last Canadian deaths in the country. On Sept. 3, Cpl. Andrew Grenon, Cpl. Mike Seggie and Pte. Chad Horn were killed when insurgents attacked their armoured vehicle in Kandahar.

"To have gone for three straight months gave soldiers here perhaps a little bit of cautious optimism," said Common.

"That optimism, of course, shattered ... tonight, as there are many solemn faces."

There are about 2,500 Canadian soldiers serving in Afghanistan, largely in the volatile Kandahar province. The mission first deployed to Afghanistan in 2002.

They are part of an international force that numbers 50,700 soldiers, including from the United States, Britain, France and Germany.
 

helpup

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My heart goes out to those involved. May the family of the deceased accept my thoughts and prayers and for those who were injured may your recovery be swift and your lives be long and prosperous. :salute: :cdn: :salute:
 

GUNS

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands.
Protect them as they protect others.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they preform for those in need.

My condolences to the families of these brave soldiers. :cdn:
 

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Terrible news.

Thoughts are with their mates in theatre, back home, their families and friends.

OWDU
 

The Bread Guy

Army.ca Relic
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
69
Points
660
Damn, damn, damn....

Condolences to the families, colleagues and friends of the latest fallen.

:salute:
:salute:
:salute:
 

OldTanker

Member
Subscriber
Reaction score
10
Points
230
Very sad news. I cannot imagine the pain their families are going through right now. My condolences, and those of my family, to the family and friends of these brave Canadians.
 
J

jollyjacktar

Guest
My heart is heavy with this news. RIP lads, my deepest condolences to the famlies and comrades of the fallen. 

To the two wounded earlier in the day a speedy recovery.

shared with the usual provision


3 Canadians dead in Afghanistan, toll reaches 100
Updated Fri. Dec. 5 2008 1:51 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff
Canada's death toll in Afghanistan has hit 100 with the deaths of three soldiers who were killed by an improvised explosive device.
The attack happened Friday at about 9 a.m. local time.
Graeme Smith of The Globe and Mail, reporting from Kandahar, told CTV Newsnet that the soldiers were in an armoured vehicle when the attack took place.
The names, ages and hometowns of the three soldiers have not yet been released.
Smith said some family are still being notified about the deaths.
The attack occurred in Arghandab district, west of Kandahar City, where the soldiers were on patrol.
The three deaths are the first from the current rotation of Canadian soldiers who were sent to Kandahar in mid-September.
Retired Maj.-Gen. Lewis MacKenzie told CTV Newsnet that the soldiers who were killed were part of a group that mentored Afghan security forces.
He said the fact that the soldiers' deaths came so close to the holidays is "tragic," noting that they were protecting the values that allow Canadians to practice their democracy.
MacKenzie said that a lot of money and resources have been spent on the "IED threat," which has claimed 14 Canadian lives just this year.
"There has been tremendous success ... but that doesn't give much solace to the families of the soldiers killed," he said.
He said the key to limiting attacks on Canadians and their allies is to gather information from Afghans.
"In order to do that, you have to have enough troops to guarantee the security of the local population and that's where NATO is not meeting the challenge."
The U.S. is expected to send an additional 20,000 troops to Afghanistan next year.
MacKenzie said other NATO countries should help the U.S. bolster troop levels in the country, an assessment seconded by security analyst Alan Bell.
Bell told CTV Newsnet that additional helicopters that have been sent to Afghanistan (along with more choppers expected in the months ahead) may also help reduce casualties.
"The air assets and the ability to move around much more safely will obviously make a significant difference," he said.
Bell cautioned, however, that although more troops will help, the task for Canadian soldiers remains formidable.
"Due to the physical state of the country ... it's going to be very difficult -- even if we quadruple the amount of troops we have in Afghanistan -- to stop the flow of Taliban from the tribal areas of Pakistan," he said.
Retired Col. Mike Chapstick told Newsnet he's concerned the recent upheaval in Ottawa may be shifting focus away from Canada's soldiers.
"I do have that worry," the military analyst said.
"Earlier this week I was a little concerned about the leadership in Ottawa and the political shenanigans going on. (There's concern) that the mission had slipped to the back pages," he said.
 

gun runner

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Sorry to say this but reports show that 3 more of our brothers in arms have fallen to the enemy. Initial reports list no names or ages, just that they are casualties. My sincere condolenses to the families of the fallen and the Regiment. Rest in peace. Ubique  MODS if this is posted elsewhere omit or replace properly, please.
 

geo

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
0
Points
0
At eaase my friends, your day is done

At the going down of the sun,
and in the morn,
we will remember them!

my condolences to family, friends and comrades of the fallen
to the injured - get well soon, we need you!

CHIMO!
 

DirtyDog

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm waiting to hear on injuries, if any, related to this incident.  I knew the lads we lost today and have a good friend who was serving alongside of them....
 

the 48th regulator

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Names have been released for two;


Three Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, bringing death toll to 100
1 hour ago

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Three more Canadian soldiers were killed Friday in Afghanistan, pushing to 100 the total number of troops Canada has lost as part of its mission in this battle-weary country.

The troops - Cpl. Mark Robert McLaren, Pte. Demetrios Diplaros and a third soldier whose name was withheld at the request of the family - were riding in an armoured vehicle in the Arghandab district, west of Kandahar city, when they struck an improvised explosive device.

All three were members of the 1st Battalion, Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Petawawa, Ont., said Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, the commander of Canadian forces in Afghanistan.

The tragedy marks the first Canadian fatalities in Afghanistan in nearly three months, but pushes the seven-year-old deployment to a tragic milestone that's likely to trigger a careful examination of Canada's role in the NATO-led mission.

"Canada lost three fine soldiers today," he said.

"Already there is talk of numbers and milestones, but it is my hope that the focus remains on the lives and the sacrifices of these brave soldiers as they serve Canada in the effort to bring peace and stability to Afghanistan."

In a separate incident, two other Canadian soldiers were injured, one seriously, in an explosion during a foot patrol in the dangerous Zhari district west of Kandahar city that occurred about an our before the fatal attack, Thompson said.

Prior to Friday, the last Canadian death occurred Sept. 7, the same day Prime Minister Stephen Harper called the Oct. 14 election, when Sgt. Prescott (Scott) Shipway, of Esterhazy, Sask., was killed by a roadside bomb explosion in the Panjwaii district of Kandahar.

Shipway was from the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Shilo, Man.

"In times like these, I believe it is important to focus on why we are here and what Canadians are trying to achieve," Thompson said.

He cited a long list of recent Taliban atrocities against the civilian population, including children being used as suicide bombers, a man whose eye was gouged out in front of his family and several teenaged girls who were doused in battery acid last month on their way to school.

"Canadians serving here in Afghanistan are not the type of people to sit idly by. These insurgents that commit these terrible atrocities on the local population have us and the Afghan national security forces to answer to."

So far, 14 Canadian soldiers have killed by IED attacks in Afghanistan this year.

Friday's fatalities were the first from the current rotation of Canadian soldiers, who arrived in Kandahar in mid-September.
Hosted by  Copyright © 2008 The Canadian Press. All rights



My condolences, and rest easy troops.

Pro Patria

tess
 

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
10
Points
580
3 new deaths in Afghanistan push Canadian toll to 101
2 other soldiers seriously wounded in separate blast incident

Last Updated: Friday, December 5, 2008 | 3:13 PM ET CBC News
Three Canadian soldiers were killed and two were wounded in separate incidents in Afghanistan on Friday, raising to more than 100 the number of Canadians who have died while serving in the war-torn country.

Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, commander of Canadian troops, identified two of the latest casualties as Cpl. Mark Robert McLaren and Pte. Demetrios (Dip) Diplaros, both based in Petawawa, Ont. They died after the armoured vehicle they were in struck an improvised explosive device (IED).

The name of the third soldier who died was being temporarily withheld at the request of the family, Thompson said.

The blast occurred at about 9 a.m. local time, said the CBC's David Common, reporting from Kandahar.

"We can presume it was a very large device because, of course, this was an armoured vehicle," said Common.

In the second incident, the two soldiers were seriously injured in an explosion while on foot patrol in Zhari district, west of Kandahar City.

Ninety-seven Canadian soldiers and Canadian diplomat Glyn Berry had lost their lives before Friday.

The three deaths are the first for the new rotation of troops, who arrived in Kandahar in September.

Diplaros was on his first tour of duty. McLaren was a veteran of Afghanistan, where he was wounded in 2006, Thompson said.

"[Cpl. McLaren] was anxious to return and assist the Afghan national army to bring peace and stability to this country," the general said.

"A few weeks ago, Mark risked his life by crawling towards an Afghan soldier who had been shot in order to provide him with first aid under fire."

Optimism among troops 'shattered'
Before Friday, the last Canadian death reported was Sept. 7, when Sgt. Scott Shipway was killed under similar circumstances after his armoured vehicle struck an improvised explosive device during a security patrol.

"To have gone for three straight months gave soldiers here perhaps a little bit of cautious optimism," said Common.

"That optimism, of course, shattered ... tonight, as there are many solemn faces."

Friday's deaths are unlikely to have an impact on Canada's mission in Afghanistan, Mercedes Stephenson, a military analyst, told CBC News.

"Certainly it is difficult for the soldiers. They have lost three brothers — possibly sisters — in arms," she said.

"There's a lot of anger and sadness after something like this, but [the soldiers] are professionals [who are] trained to deal with it and will continue with their job at hand, as they believe the soldiers who have been killed would have wanted them to."

Thompson said: "Canada lost three fine soldiers today, and two more were seriously injured.

"Already there is talk of numbers and milestones, but it is my hope that the focus remains on the lives and the sacrifices of these brave soldiers as they serve Canada in the effort to bring peace and stability to Afghanistan," he added.

Canadian soldiers have been fighting in the Arghandab district, a hotbed of insurgent activity, for many months.

The past summer was a particularly violent one in Afghanistan, with insurgents carrying out several high-profile attacks on troops from the NATO-commanded International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).

As the temperature dropped, militant attacks subsided with it.

Forces pursuing more aggressive strategy
Canadian forces are hoping to take advantage of the lull in insurgent activity.

Canada's top soldier in Afghanistan, Brig-Gen. Denis Thompson, said in October that Canadian and other ISAF forces would be stepping up their attacks on insurgents in the winter, with the help of a more experienced Afghan army.

The strategy marks a change in approach from previous winters, when fighting traditionally died down due to harsher weather.

A month before Thompson's announcement, Prime Minister Stephen Harper pledged to bring home the bulk of combat forces in Afghanistan by 2011.

Harper said at the time that Canada will have "done its bit at that point."

The rising costs of the Afghan mission likely played a factor in his decision.

Parliamentary budget officer Kevin Page tabled a report in October that said the price tag of the Canadian mission could be as high as $18.1 billion by 2011.

There are about 2,500 Canadian soldiers serving in Afghanistan, largely in the volatile Kandahar province. The mission first deployed to Afghanistan in 2002.

They are part of an international force that numbers 50,700 soldiers, including from the United States, Britain, France and Germany.


200_soldiers_081205.jpg

Cpl. Mark Robert McLaren, left, is seen in this image released by the Department of National Defence. Pte. Demetrios Diplaros, right, is seen in this image taken from his Facebook page. The third soldier's identity has not been released at request of the family. CTV.CA

 

geo

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
0
Points
0
From CBC.CA

Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, commander of Canadian troops, identified two of the latest casualties as Cpl. Mark Robert McLaren and Pte. Demetrios (Dip) Diplaros, both based in Petawawa, Ont. They died after the armoured vehicle they were in struck an improvised explosive device (IED).  The name of the third soldier who died was being temporarily withheld at the request of the family.

In a second incident, two soldiers were seriously injured in an explosion while on foot patrol in Zhari district, west of Kandahar City.

 

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
10
Points
580
News Release
Three Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan

CEFCOM NR 08.040 - December 5, 2008

OTTAWA – Three Canadian soldiers were killed as a result of an improvised explosive device attack on their armoured vehicle during a joint patrol with Afghan National Army soldiers in the Arghandab District. The incident occurred approximately 15 kilometers west of Kandahar City at about 9:00 a.m., Kandahar time on 5 December 2008.

The Canadian soldiers were participating in a vehicle patrol with their Afghan colleagues when their vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device. The three soldiers were killed instantly by the explosion.

Killed in action were Corporal Mark Robert McLaren and Private Demetrios Diplaros. The primary next of kin for all three soldiers have been notified; however, the third name will not be released at this time at the request of the family.

In an unrelated incident, earlier on the same day, two Canadian soldiers were seriously injured when an improvised explosive device detonated in the vicinity of a joint Canadian - Afghan foot patrol in Zharey District. The incident occurred at approximately 8:00 a.m., Kandahar time, approximately 30 kilometers west of Kandahar City.

A cordon was quickly established and the soldiers were evacuated by helicopter to the Multi-national Medical Facility at Kandahar Airfield where one soldier is reported to be in serious condition and the other is reported to be in fair condition. The names of the injured soldiers will not be released.

Today Canada lost three fine soldiers. It is our hope that the focus remains on the lives and sacrifices of our soldiers as they served Canada in an effort to bring peace and security to the people of Afghanistan.

-30-

Note to Editors:
A photograph of Corporal Mark Robert McLaren and Private Demetrios Diplaros will be available on the Combat Camera website (search under last name) at: www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca and www.combatcamera.ca

 

gun runner

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Rest in peace. To the families.. my sincere condolences. To the wounded, get well soon.  :salute: :salute: :salute: Ubique
 
Top