• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WO Mike (Hammy) Hamilton

riggermade

Inactive
Reaction score
This is an e-mail I received.  I will post more as I get news.

"Just got a call from Al McGee advising of Mike's passing.  Mike was in Cold Lake for the past couple of weeks doing para trials of some sort, he was in car accident on Friday evening when the car was T-boned.  Mike was passenger in rear seat.  He was flown by STARS air ambulance to the Royal Alex, Edmonton.  Al spoke with him today immediately before he went into surgery.  Al says that Mike was in good spirits and was really himself with no apparent "fatal injuries"  Mike passed away on surgery table.

Mike's wife, CO and RSM have flown out from Trenton and at Royal Alex with Al and others as I type this.

Al has no other details but will pass on to me as this materialize. I will pass on to as I get them.

Please pass on to whomever else you may have on your contact list.

Dave "

Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Hammy videotaped my first jump. Family, jumping, beer, food ... in that order.
Light winds and soft landings.

Vern

There were two others in the xar with him who were released from hospital, I will post more details as I receive them

From the Edmonton Sun

COLD LAKE — A Canadian soldier has died after a traffic crash in Cold Lake, Alta.

Warrant Officer Michael Hamilton was seriously injured Friday in a two-vehicle crash.

He died from his injuries Sunday at an Edmonton hospital.

Hamilton, a parachutist with the Canadian Forces Land Advance Warfare Centre, was based at Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ont.

Lt. Annie Morin says Hamilton was in Cold Lake for training and was scheduled to return to the eastern Ontario base.

Hamilton’s age and hometown weren’t immediately available

Very sad news indeed Steve. I read this in the  Edmonton Sun earlier today, and Michel Denis also emailed me the news from Quebec.

I did not know him well personally, but I know he was highly regarded in both Rigger and Sup Tech communities. Trying to remember dates and places but I know we jumped together somewhere-Edmonton? Pet? I seem to recall having dealings with him on one or both of the CISM teams we mounted in 96 and 99.

Blue skies, fair winds and soft landings Hammy. To all those hurting from this terrible accident, my thoughts and prayers. RIP.

I didn't make the connection until I looked at the pics Vern posted. Damn.

We've shared air...and beer...several times.

You'll be missed Hammy :(

Military parachutist dies after Alta. collision 
Edmonton JournalFebruary 23, 2009

A member of the Skyhawks precision skydiving team with a Canadian flag in a ceremony in Ottawa in July, 2008. A parachutist and former Skyhawk with the Canadian Forces died Sunday after a vehicle collision in Cold Lake, Alta.
Photograph by: Pat McGrath, Ottawa CitizenEDMONTON — A parachutist and former Skyhawk with the Canadian Forces died Sunday after a vehicle collision in Cold Lake, Alta.

Warrant Officer Michael Hamilton, 46, of Trenton, Ont., was involved in a two-vehicle collision Friday night and died in an Edmonton hospital on Sunday.

Hamilton, a parachutist with Canadian Forces Land Advanced Warfare Centre, was in Cold Lake to test equipment at the Canadian Forces base, but was off the base at the time of the collision. Another member received minor injuries.

Hamilton was once a member of the Skyhawks, the Canadian Forces parachute demonstration team. Capt. Nicole Meszaros, now a public affairs officer stationed in Cold Lake, worked with Hamilton previously in Trenton, Ont.

“It’s ironic and heartbreaking that such an accomplished parachutist would die in a vehicle collision,” Meszaros said, still shocked at the death Monday. “He’s a parachutist and that’s risky. He lives through that,” she said. “He was really bright, friendly. An upbeat, vivacious person.”

Cold Lake is about 275 kilometres northeast of Edmonton.

http://www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/257-Eng.html

It was often stated , tongue in cheek, the most dangerous part of skydiving (or jumping in general) was the drive to the DZ on public roads, regretably with an element of truth in this situation.

Last word I got there will be a wake of sorts Fri night and a memorial service Sat in Trenton.  No date on the burial yet but he is to be interned in Ottawa

Viewing is Fri 1900-2100, service is Sat haven't been given a location yet

If you're going hoist a glass for me, will request Mike Hawes  do likewise. Internment in the National Military Cemetary? Lovely place but d*mn it all I know more and more people that are resting there well  before their rightful time.

Here is waht is from the Funeral Home

Warrant Officer Michael Edward Hamilton, CD1 'Hammy' - Passed away peacefully at the Royal Alexandra Hospital, Edmonton, AB on Sunday, February 22, 2009. Michael Hamilton of Trenton age 46 years. Beloved husband of Shelley Hamilton. Loved father of Alicia and Cole, both at home; Rodney and Leon Hamilton, both of Halifax. NS. Son of Greta Hamilton of Greenwood, NS. Brother of James Hamilton, Borden; Lenora Beals (Glen); Lorraine Higgins (Don) and Paula Cromwell, all of Halifax. NS. Son-in-law of Sheila and Marcel of Pembroke. The family will receive friends at the 8 Wing Chapel on Friday evening from 7-9 p.m. Service will be held at St. Peter's Church on Saturday, February 28th, 2009 at 9:30 a.m. Padre Shaun Turner officiating. Interment The National Military Cemetery Beechwood, Ottawa. Memorial Donations to the United Way would be appreciated by the family.

Here is a link to a Memorial page:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quintefuneralcentres.com%2Fruntime.php%3FSiteId%3D3379%26NavigatorId%3D56225%26Keywords%3Dmichael%2520hammy%2520hamilton&h=2c9fc969e08a8019711480dba1a1d772

This from today's Belleville Intelligencer....
In the military world where he plied his trade as a master paratrooper, he was known as Warrant Officer Michael Hamilton.

To dozens of kids and parents in the Quinte Red Devils minor hockey organization, he was just "Hammy."

This weekend, both worlds will come together to pay their respects to a beloved hockey dad and fallen soldier.

Hamilton will be given a full military funeral and honour guard Saturday morning in Trenton.

The 46-year-old father of four died Sunday of injuries sustained in a two-vehicle collision in Cold Lake, Alta. on Feb. 20.

Hamilton worked at the Canadian Forces Land Advanced Warfare Centre (CFLAWC), formerly the Canadian Parachute Centre, at CFB Trenton.

Hamilton leaves his wife, Shelley, and four children, Leon, 26, Rodney, 24, Alicia, 16, and Cole, 13.

Comrades described the Canadian Forces veteran as a "key member'' of the Trentonbased unit.

But Hamilton is also being remembered by his adopted community as a proud father and a caring individual involved in local minor hockey. His youngest son plays for the Quinte Red Devils minor bantam AAA team.

Hamilton was known to his friends as 'Hammy.'

"He was a tremendous person and a best friend to so many people. Hammy was larger than life itself. He made everyone feel like they were No. 1,'' said friend and Red Devil executive member Lorraine O'Quinn....

More on link

I'm the (new) English Editor at Army News. I googled WO Michael Hamilton for a story that I am editing for Army News, and this thread came up almost at the top of the search results.

Would any of you be interested in sending me some of your stories/comments to include in the story that I'm editing? I'd be particularly interested in hearing what WO Hamilton was like to work with. That being said, if there's anything else that you'd like to add, I'd totally welcome your contribution.

If you have anything that you'd like to share, including photos, please drop me an email: sheila.wadden AT forces.gc.ca. By the way, I'm hoping to finish editing on Monday (9 March), so that we can translate and post the story soon.

If anyone is interested, I will pop back over here to post a link to the article when it has been finalized and posted.

Cheers,

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

If you're on Facebook, you may also want to visit the Riggers Group and the group that was set up specificly in memory of Hammy.

Many of those who had the pleasure of working with Hammy or were victims of his practical jokes and keen sense of humour are there. Some of them may be interested in providing you with thoughts for your story as well.

Veronica

Back