• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Winter Warfare

The excursions above the arctic circle are typically known as SOVOPS (sovereignty operations) or AWW (advanced winter warfare).

Both are almost always longer than 10 days.

Interesting... I found out about the sovereignty patrol for this year. Sometime in Feb of 2006, slightly longer than 3 weeks. They wanted a couple volunteers if possible but said they'd be happy with one... Me and one other guy (friend of mine through BMQ+SQ+BIQ etc...) are the only one's to have volunteered....  No info as of yet or if we've even got on it!

Anyone have any tips for me about this sort of thing? All I keep hearing is horror stories... About 2 soldiers getting lost in a blizzard last year and almost being eaten by polar bears! Also, anyone else going/volunteering??? C'mon! I hate the cold and I'm going! Face your fears, live you're dreams! It's partially why we're here right?

;)

operation boreal warrior, January 10-26, someplace called _____ lake in iqualut or nunavut, for reserves, not sure about reg forces, I wanted to go, but I would miss the last 12 days before exams and i need a good mark. THIS WILL GET YOU WINTER WARFARE QUALIFIED! (most likely basic level)

This is the link to Ex Boreal Warrior website that has been published by members of 32 cbg public affairs department. It contains the Ex overview.  It also provides additional information such as: "ARTIC AND SUB-ARTIC OPERATIONS" pam, which is under doctrine.

http://www.army.dnd.ca/32cbg_hq/2005/BorealWarrior/Boreal%20Warrior/BW06_home.html

Looks good, I'm in. Has anyone had any experience with Exs in the Arctic? What has been done in previous years?

Crap... I didn't get the tasking! At the last minute when they asked for any final names for it, about 10 people put thier hands up. A bunch of MCpl's Cpl's and other Pte's.... Crap. At first it was only me and 1 other guy who had our names in! O-well, next year! I'll go :crybaby: now...

So in anycase, have fun to those folks who are going! Can't wait to hear you're stories when your back! Also don't forget to bring a camera.... Will it freeze???

Anyone remember when the Jamacains sent some boys up for Winter Training?
(This would be many many years ago)

Heard they borrowed Can Kit, but still froze in place.
Had to be carried out in the position they were found because they locked up.

Yes.  FNs weren't only from Jamaica.  They came from Kenya, Nigeria, Belize, and several other nations to do Officer Trg.  They would arrive in Gagetown and be issued Parkas right away.  Even in September and October, it was too cold for them.  They were deathly afraid of the dark and the idea of "Snow Snakes" terrified them.

George Wallace said:
They were deathly afraid of the dark and the idea of "Snow Snakes" terrified them.

Ahh....Snow Snakes; George you weren't on part of that "eradication" mission as well, were you?

That's the only reason I know about them. ;D

Back