• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will i have time to continue training my Martial Arts?

Binette

Inactive
Reaction score
(I posted this question previously then the server went unreaponsive and deleated my account. Did i say something wrong?)

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

I have been studying and training in the Traditional Martial Art of Tang Soo Do for The last seven years as of September, I have taught the art for six of those years. I truly have a passion for martial arts and would like to continue even while in the military. I would like to know to what extent this is possible.

I am inquiring in the forums to get a wider and broader spectrum of views and opinions on this particular inquiry.
I understand that during the basic training you apparently have little free time and those who I have asked in recruiting have seem to be agreement upon The idea that I won't have time to do anything but basic training. To what extent is this true? Is it not true that we get weekends to do what we like or do we even have any free time during the day? Or is it basically just Enough time to poop and shower other than studying and running? I understand that the training will be very fatiguing for most people and when answering my questions most people will take that into consideration but fatigue aside what are the time constraints?

Also for those of you who have been enlisted a while, are there many people In the military who are actually interested in or have a passion for any kind of martial arts or traditional martial arts that is hand-to-hand or artistic and philosophical in nature? This question aims to answer whether the culture in the military will be supportive of me and my desire to cultivate the arts within my life in the military.

This is very important to me because I'm not a football fan, I don't go out and drink and watch sports with buddies for fun. That's not my idea of a good time. I would much rather find people who are more interested in practicing the martial arts.

Hopefully this is enough information for me to get a wide variety of views and opinions from people on this forum. Thank you for your time.

-Binette

During BMQ, you have the opportunity to have weekends off after approximately week 7/8(as far as I remember). If you can find somewhere local or Montreal to do what you want, have at it. But keep in mind if you get injured, you just opened up a huge can of worms, and will be staying in St Jean for a lot longer than anticipated. (until you're healed and can get back on a course)

Once you complete BMQ and are at your next "posting" and waiting for your next course, you can do what you want. Once a course starts your free time will probably be reduced, but again, you can do what you want. If you get injured and can't complete PT or a portion of the course, you're going to screw yourself over and end up getting re coursed.

My advise:

Don't do any of this stuff until after BMQ (It's only 3 months!) and be careful during the rest of your training.

I'll ditto what Precept said and add that when you finish Basic and go to your trade training, ask your instructors. Many/most units have a form you fill out to state that you do "x" activity for physical fitness - martial arts, kayaking, biking to/from your place of duty, etc. When that form is signed by the approving authority, it basically means the military knows you do that activity and if you're injured while doing it, the odds of you being covered for possible benefits, etc. are much better.

Back