• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will Canada respond to the Ivory Coast?

gnplummer421

Inactive
Reaction score
The U.N. is under "siege" in the Ivory Coast. Is this something Canada will respond to militarily, and if so, what "Task Force" would be able to respond. Are we stretched too thin or can we handle another mission right now? I'm interested in what the military minds on this forum think about this issue.

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

Looks like another successful UN mission. This is France's sphere, isn't it? The Foreign Legion is free this weekend I believe...

UN troops under siege in Ivory Coast
Last Updated Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:24:27 EST
CBC News
United Nations peacekeepers in Ivory Coast's largest city are under siege by government supporters who have tried to force their way into the UN headquarters in Abidjan.

INDEPTH: Ivory Coast

Supporters of Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo run through the streets of Abidjan, the country's largest city, on Wednesday, Jan. 18. (AP photo) 
More than 2,000 protesters tried to force their way into the UN building and had to be held back by warning shots and tear gas.

"A number of attackers were killed and others wounded. UN forces are exercising maximum restraint in dealing with these attacks. Non-lethal methods are being used to disperse crowds and deter attacks," UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters in New York.

More than 300 troops have also been forced to withdraw from two UN bases in the west of the country after clashes over the past three days that have left at least four protesters dead.

The UN says the unrest is being incited by "hate media" broadcasting messages aimed at stirring trouble in the West African nation.

The hate messages are "unacceptable and must cease immediately," Dujarric said.

The UN Security Council is expressing "great concern" at the unrest and is expected to meet on Thursday to consider sanctions against the country.

Ivory Coast, the world's largest cocoa producer, has been sharply divided since a failed coup attempt in 2002.

So where's the outcry about UN Imperialist Stormtroopers firing on unarmed civilians?

Oh pretty please can we jump into that mess!

The UN has failed miserably (again) another horrible, violent, poor, drug and disease riddled West African state is in shambles (again).

Canada would be wise to adopt a "hands off" approach to Africa completely.

There is too much to be lost, and too little to be gained. We should concentrate our efforts in areas where our allies need us, and there is at least a chance of success, be it ever so slim.

I'm not racist but some parts of Africa are just kerfuckled beyond repair. Sure white Europeans messed them up royaly during the 18th century but they can't seem to stop blaming whites for their modern day troubles (ie aids, natural resources, corruption, famine, etc...). I say if they hate the colour of our skin then fine!!! Let African nation peacekeepers wear the blue berret in these so called 'failed states'. At least then they won't cry "Imperialism!"

I have little time for racism or ignorant students who think they know how to solve the worlds problems just because they red Chapter 8 in their political science book. There's my rant for tonight.

We dont have the equipment, man power nor the abilty to deploy, sustain, and support ourselves on the ground yet try to help out others. What fast air would we have, helo support, tank, arty, airlift heavy? Keep out and let the heavy's take care of this mess.

career_radio-checker said:
I'm not racist but some parts of Africa are just kerfuckled beyond repair. Sure white Europeans messed them up royaly during the 18th century but they can't seem to stop blaming whites for their modern day troubles (ie aids, natural resources, corruption, famine, etc...). I say if they hate the colour of our skin then fine!!! Let African nation peacekeepers wear the blue berret in these so called 'failed states'. At least then they won't cry "Imperialism!"

I have little time for racism or ignorant students who think they know how to solve the worlds problems just because they red Chapter 8 in their political science book. There's my rant for tonight.

To beleive that whites messed them up you have to first beleive that there was some semblance of order before we got there.  Which is inaccurate to say the least.

48Highlander said:
So where's the outcry about UN Imperialist Stormtroopers firing on unarmed civilians?

No Blood for Chocolate!
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23050.0.html

48Highlander said:
To beleive that whites messed them up you have to first beleive that there was some semblance of order before we got there.  Which is inaccurate to say the least.

Could you elaborate?

I get the impression that it would not be a place for us to get involved. As far as A-stan is concerned, I get the feeling it is going to get nasty over there. I suppose it is best to fully support that effort instead of getting involved with Ivory Coast. Will our neighbors to the South help us with heavy lift over in Khandahar? And how are our LAV's performing with the harsh conditions there.

Cheers,
Gnplummer421 :cheers:

The problem lies with the fact that the attacker, rebels or what ever they are know that the UN will keep a short and tight leash on it's loaned troops in the country.  They wouldn't be doing this if they knew the Un troops acted as they should be TROOPS.

Zartan said:
Could you elaborate?

Sure.  They were a bunch of uncivilized warring tribes to begin with, the white man came, enslaved them, and brought some order to a few parts of the continent, then whitey got chased away, and now they're mostly back to being a bunch of uncivilized warring tribes.

I know I'm over-simplifying a bit, but the basic point is "we" didn't cause their problems.  Granted our ancestors abused them and took advantage of them, but their current problems have little to do with slavery and imperialism by old europe.

48Highlander said:
Sure.  They were a bunch of uncivilized warring tribes to begin with, the white man came, enslaved them, and brought some order to a few parts of the continent, then whitey got chased away, and now they're mostly back to being a bunch of uncivilized warring tribes.

I know I'm over-simplifying a bit, but the basic point is "we" didn't cause their problems.  Granted our ancestors abused them and took advantage of them, but their current problems have little to do with slavery and imperialism by old Europe.

Thats incredibly ethnocentric, and almost offensive.
Who are you to decide who is civilized and who is not? While at the same time what is civilized?  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter. 

I'm not suggesting that Africa was some sort of Utopia before the Europeans arrived but it wasn't just a bunch of "uncivilized warring tribes".

Sheerin said:
Who are you to decide who is civilized and who is not? While at the same time what is civilized?  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter. 

I'm not suggesting that Africa was some sort of Utopia before the Europeans arrived but it wasn't just a bunch of "uncivilized warring tribes".

So what were they exactly?  Happy peaceful indigenous fairies living in balance with the Earth Goddess Gaia?  Give me a break.  Habitual cannibalism, genital mutilation, living in mud huts, running around naked all day hunting animals and eachother with clubs and spears....those are pretty clear indicators that they were less than civilized.  To me anyway.  You're entitled to disagree.  Perhaps you'd prefer it if I called them "educationaly and economicaly disadvantaged individuals".  I call a spade a spade, if that's not PC enough for you, tell it to someone who cares.

Sheerin said:

If it is "almost" offensive, why are you offended?

I don't think you can find an area of the world that is as ethnically homogenous as west Africa, so I fail to see how "ethnocentric" is an inaccurate method of categorisation.

IF it was not a bunch of uncivilised warring tribes - what was it? Break out the PC dictionary now, and lets hear about the plight of the third world, I mean undeveloped nations , I mean developing nations  ::)

This thread is about us sending troops there, not your personal objections to the valid observations raised by other posters. I would hate to see plain and accurate speech fall prey to the PC Nazis on army.ca, much as it has in the rest of the western world.

While 48th's wording may be "unrefined", his points are valid.  Colonial powers kept tribalism at bay and the world denounced them and cried for independance.  If anyone can name more than a couple post colonial successes I will be pleasantly surprised.  I can think only of Ghana.  I am NOT saying colonialism was perfect but safety for most and education for some is a heck of a lot better than what most of the continent has now. I am hard pressed to think of anything there worth one Canadian life.  Forgive the harsh tone

Quote from Go!!,
I would hate to see plain and accurate speech fall prey to the PC Nazis on army.ca, much as it has in the rest of the western world

2 things,....WTF does this mean?, if your saying we are too "PC" for your taste, doors that way...

Second of all, shove the "Nazi" comparisons.....millions offered, and did, sacrifice thier lives and you insult them when you casually toss that word around when something distastes you.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Quote from Go!!,
I would hate to see plain and accurate speech fall prey to the PC Nazis on army.ca, much as it has in the rest of the western world

2 things,....WTF does this mean?, if your saying we are too "PC" for your taste, doors that way...

This means that when someone (like sheerin) starts complaining that the words used to tell the truth were not sensitive enough, they deserve a slapping.

Second of all, shove the "Nazi" comparisons.....millions offered, and did, sacrifice thier lives and you insult them when you casually toss that word around when something distastes you.

Parking Nazi, Soup Nazi, PT Nazi, WATC Nazi...... these are colloquialisms, not insults. Words can sometimes take different meanings over time, and the original meaning can be obscured or forgotten.

The Flintstones advocates having a "gay old time" in their opening song - how many children's cartoons would say that today? Same word, different meaning.

In this case, I am using the term "Nazi" to demonstrate mindless adherence to, or a violent and unreasoning opposition to, a philosophy or set of rules; in this case, what is commonly referred to as "political correctness"

Can we end this hijack now?

Back