• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHY THE FU#K DOES YOUR 10-YEAR OLD NEED A SMARTPHONE?

Both my 14 and 15 year old have cell phones. In my line of work, i wanted to make sure i could reach them anywhere, at anytime because i often leave home on short fuzes and my i don't always land at home base after a flight. They had their left and right of arcs for using them. Since them, my oldest got a smartphone for Christmas. Her laptop had fried so she was using the new phone instead. My youngest had a regular phone but last week she inherited my iPhone 3G that i replaced.

Do they "need" them ? Of course not, not anymore than i "need' one.

a Sig Op said:
Try finding a working pay phone in a public place any more. They're getting rarer and rarer.
Well if those damn Agents would stop breaking them and just leave Neo alone...  :mad:

Rheostatic said:
The quarter wouldn't have done much good anyway; it now costs 50 cents.

Darn and I remember it being a dime

Hammer Sandwich said:
Ladies and Gentlemen......we have a winner!!!!!

:salute:

Well, me personally, i like being able to leave my house when i'm on 2-hour standby, so a cellphone it is.

I'd just prefer a pager...but then again, since there aren't many payphones around anymore, I guess I need the cell anyway  ::).

MM

medicineman said:
Please tell me you're joking??!!

MM

I wouldnt bet on it I have some young guys who didnt get the pager idea.  Sure they were around when those kids were in school but only used by very few people.

We still had pagers for the standby crew when i joined the Sqn in 2005. I think we got rid of them sometime in 2006 when it was realized nobody was signing them out as we all had cellphones anyways.

If I had my own way, I'd just have the pager with a numeric coding system and a duty watch only access..."please call duty dork" or "straight get your butt in".  Less fuss.

MM

One guy only knew of pagers as a large coaster like thing that lights up.  He asked if that was allowed as his wife was pregnant, about to deliver in a few weeks and the doctor recommended he get a pager since he didn't have a current cell phone.  He came in and tried to explain to me why he would need to carry something like that around. 

I knew he was describing the pagers from restaurants and asked him if he knew what pagers were.  ;D

helpup said:
One guy only knew of pagers as a large coaster like thing that lights up.  He asked if that was allowed as his wife was pregnant, about to deliver in a few weeks and the doctor recommended he get a pager since he didn't have a current cell phone.  He came in and tried to explain to me why he would need to carry something like that around. 

I knew he was describing the pagers from restaurants and asked him if he knew what pagers were.  ;D

I wore a personal issue alpha-numeric pager home after every shift ( except when on vacation ) from Sept. 11, 2001 until the day I retired. Prior to 9-11, I ( like many others ) left it in my locker at end of shift. It was a pleasure and relief to hand it back to them.

Times have changed, as kids we use to have the Fisher Price telephone that had the circle dial ring a real phone sounding bell ( as most phones had a real bell in them then.  The handset was connected to the body by length of cord that would be illegal now as a strangling hazard.  And those eyes the moved back and forth as you pulled it.  These days my daughter plays with more versions of cell phones or cordless phone. 

Why does a 10 year old need a smartphone? They don't obviously, but times change and a persons wants will change as the level of technology that their peers have inevitably rise.  You don't have to like it, hell you can even fight it.  But until the world falls apart a form of it is there.

I don't think it will be too much longer before the kids are asking for the implants.  And I am not talking about cosmetic ones.

Back