• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who wants copy of article

Gordon Angus Mackinlay

Inactive
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I had discussion with Mr Bobbit about the following

"Have received my latest issue of the French language magazine RAIDS (June 2002) it has a excellent eight page photo article on the bn gp." (this being the 3PPCLI Bn Gp in Afghanistan).

I was intending to send the photos, but, am unable to seperate them them from the text. Mr Bobbit wanted me to send the article to him, but, I am informed that sending a disc through the mail is impossible from this country as it will be corrupted when it goes throught the xray scanner.

Therefore if anyone wants a copy of this article please send a email to :

gam47@bigpond.com

by 2400 13 Aug 2002 as cutoff point, and I shall send it out in bulk to those requesting. Even though it is in French it is very good (and the photos as always with RAIDS are excellent).

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

for the mail you just have to put a dont x-ray sticker or something like that and they wont scan it

Hmm,

Done much travelling of late. I just returned from points far flung and good sir, they X-Ray everything coming into continental North America regardless of stickers (usually at the point of embarkation-Europe has a zero tolerance towards screening).

That or they will open it and physically check it. However, based upon the people I socialize with, and Portsculliguy is of that genre, he can elaborate. They will normally scan it and then check it if it seems suspicious. A big invite me sticker will just make it more likely that it will be checked.

Some great pictures on that article. But I really wouldn‘t mind reading it to. Unfortunatly I speak NO french at all. Does anyone know of any programs you can download or buy that translate? Theres gotta be something out there!

Andrew :cdn: :bullet:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I deliberately did not send copies of the article out to people until this morning (thursday) to see if anyone else was interested in the article. I sent it out to a total of three people, which I find quite fascinating in view of the number of people registered on this list and would I suppose have a interest in the Canadian Army!

In regard to the last gentleman‘s request for translation services, there are a number on the internet such as Babelfish, they are quite easy to find if you do a search.

Such ‘mechanical‘ translations are quite slow and you don‘t learn anything by using them, and the resulting translation can be pretty bizarre.

The best way to translate a article such as this is the old fashioned way, of getting a good French - English dictionary and working your way through it. It is suprising just how quickly you can do a translation.

Yours,
Jock in Sydney

Hi, I was wondering if any of the three people who recieved the article could send it to me:
scottnoseworthy@hotmail.com

Thanks

Oops! Looks like I missed the deadline to, Could someone please send me a copy as well? ‘Preciate it.

jetdog@iwon.com

Just catching up on this thread, and have one small point to add:

X-Rays do not (always) destroy the data on electronic media. Most times they will stand up to an X-Ray without any loss of information at all. (Anyone ever sent their laptop through the old X-Ray scanners at the airport?)

Cheers

Could someone send me a copy too please?

guillaume_desjardin@hotmail.com

PS. I could translate it...French is my 1st language

Back