• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which way is the army heading??

Skura, have you looked into joining the reserves while you attend college?
Ah ya beat me to it,

Skura, I'm one of those people.
I attend university while I'm in the reserves, doing training in the summer, school during the "School year"
It's really, really commonplace to find people like that. Officers, NCM's regardless.
What you need to do is go to the recruiter, tell them what you want, your situation and you guys can work out what is best for you.

Do you have to enlist to do basic training...or can you do that without any strings attatched...because I'd really rather be kept busy on the reserve which it doesn't sound like I'd be able to do without BMQ...and what goes on during the school year on the reserve?

Yes, you have to enlist to do basic training. During the year when you first join, your be in a PAT Plt, being taught drill, rank, all the basic stuff to help get you ready for your BMQ. All the trained soldiers would be working in their trade, or doing a class/lecture(on GPS for example), and going on weekend excercises an week long excercises, etc.

So does that mean that on my weekends in college, I'd be on the reserve doing my Basic Training?

Skura, where in Ontario do you live?  We could provide you with the number and location of the closest reserve units to you; I'm sure they would be much better at answering the specifics of your questions.

What are some of your idea's in fixing the systemic causes that are affecting the army and CF in general.  I would like to hear some workable idea's. :)  I think i will take a bus ride to the recruitment centre down from NDHQ tomorrow to.

Yeah the army is going slowly going downhill!  :crybaby:

Yes we all know it is going downhill but do we had any idea's to fix it. :)

Yeah the army is going slowly going downhill!

That just seems to be the catch-phrase of the day, like we are declining from some golden age or something.  Well, that is probably just as incorrect as saying "The Generals Did It".

Sure the military has been plagued with poor support from the government since the mid-1960's, but it still remains one of the most professional forces around today.  We have many problems, I don't deny that, but problems are inherent in any peacetime army.  However, our problems are ever-changing along with the constant flux of security demands.  Right now, we are overstretched due to constant deployment on OOTW (with the odd small war thrown in) and face limitations in the ability to extend our forces globally; this was never a problem in the '70's and '80's, when we were concerned with how to manage are small contribution to Germany and watching the Northern border for incoming Soviets.

Rather then saying we have been declining since we demobilized in 1945-1946,  I would venture that our problem is that we are becoming increasingly further from being able to adapt our military to the demands of the security enviornment.

However, contrary to the opinion that many scholars seem to hold in that the CF is in grave danger of disappearing altogether (Granatstein comes to mind), I feel that as long as young Canadians commit themselves to join a fighting force, then we'll still be here, standing on the line.  Things could be worse.  In the '30's the militia was training with broomsticks and we only had a regular force of a few thousand soldiers; I'm happy with my C-7 and my snazzy camo....

Yes we all know it is going downhill but do we had any idea's to fix it.

That is an awfully broad question.  As mentioned earlier, instead of asking things that have had entire books written on the topic, why don't you narrow your questions down.  As well, there are many serious discussions in the many forums on the board; do a search and you'll find many hours of interesting reading.

Well Infanteer your optomism is a breath of fresh air if I didn't know better.  I trust Janes Defence weekly as well as what I've seen in my own little pond and Janes seems to think were fucked as do I if we carry on this road.  Small doesn't mean weak.  I do blame the brass for not getting this point across.

Infanteer said:
Skura, where in Ontario do you live?

Mississauga

::EDIT::  How many "young" members belong on this site...from what I've seen I think I'm pretty young compaired to the people here if not the youngest, and (from the kids I see on a day to day basis) there isn't a high interst in our army...why I sparked an interest still escapes me because I'm surrounded everyday with "get the girl" and "dress like this" and "talk like this" and "think like this"...and almost everyone drifts towards what is considered cool, so how more young kids are supposed to get interested and want to help out in our army seems far off...and yet I'm here, so maybe there's hope...

Well Infanteer your optomism is a breath of fresh air if I didn't know better.   I trust Janes Defence weekly as well as what I've seen in my own little pond and Janes seems to think were fucked as do I if we carry on this road.   Small doesn't mean weak.   I do blame the brass for not getting this point across.

I have to be optimistic, its the only way I can prepare myself for the next 30 years.... :)

Yes, Generals deserve some of the blame, perhaps more so then other ranks due to the greater responsibilities they are entrusted with.   But what about all the Privates and Corporals who have let their fitness and attitude decline, setting us up as one of the most out of shape military forces in the world.   What about some of the SNCO's who are eternally bitter and negative, only really kicking around to get the most out of their pension and not doing anything productive to further the well-being of the Forces.   How about the Militia troops of all Ranks who half-heartedly dedicate themselves to the Reserves as a social club, not caring about the valueable role in the defence in our Country that it could and should play.   Or how about the Regular who gives not a care for his profession, seeing the military only as "Green Welfare", a form of government subsidization easily served on MIR chits and "armchair" taskings.  

I've seen all of these types in some way in my relatively short time around the block, and I am sure most of us could think of a few off the top of our head.   Obviously, there is enough blame for the problems we have to go around.   As I said earlier, perhaps it is easier to target the Senior Officers due to the fact that they have the means to address some of these problems directly.   However, do you honesly believe that someone would dedicate a good portion of their life to the military only to deliberately fuck it over once they got to a high rank?   The more I learn and understand about the way that our Headquarters, the NDHQ, works and functions, the more convinced I become that our Senior Officers are alot more hand-tied then we think.   I think the first step in solving our problems is to sort out the civilianized, bureaucratic mess we have at the top; this was the consequence of Trudeau and his Defence Minister D. MacDonald's wholesale screwing of the Forces in an effort to make it more "corporate".

It's unfortunate, but things are always going to seem pretty fucked up until their is a major shift in the way Canadians view defence, security, and their military.   Until then we must focus on changing things at the levels we can affect and hope for some permanence in these changes.   I can just imagine what many serving soldiers thought in 1939 when MacKenzie King decided that Canada would play a back-up role to fighting the Germans, offering only Air Force support if possible.   I believe it took the Fall of France for Canada to get into the war.

Plus ca change, plus ca le meme chose....

Well leadership flows down.  You can't really expect a pte or Cpl to be in top form if his boss can't finish a section attack.  I personally have asked to go to the gym during down time when I was in one of the colonies.  Denied.  Map and compass, c-6 in SF role denied.  I can't book a range can I?  Well I suppose physically I could but who would action it.  I can't really fault the BN for going to the range so little if we have no bullets.
I was told a story once of a CO in the 3rd when they were still in Vic.  They still had financial constraints but when they went on a BN he had stands set up along the route.  First aid, C-6, Karl G, 60mm etc.  Also when told he couldn't have choppers for one of his ex's. he told the guy on the phone (air force) that he better get them or he'd be fired.  Its leadership like this that works hard (they bugged out once a week and were away from home for 9 months) and plays hard that needs to be brought back into the military esp. at the BN level.  Also the duration that a BN is split for supporting courses etc is brutal.  You have a school so you should have a permanent cadre of staff for ex number of years.  Numbers dictate this can't happen though.  I realize that a BN ends up being tighter after a tour but is that really acceptable?

Oh and the States had 9/11 and still aren't taking defence very seriously so I think our country is done.

My 2 Cents:
  We are declining from a â Å“golden ageâ ?. The days of men who wanted to rise to the top of the rank structure to make a difference for the good of the country, not to line their pockets with tax dollars.
    Why would you talk about reservists who â Å“half-heartedly dedicate themselves to the reserves as a social clubâ ?, not only is that far from the truth, but is goes against your optimistic ways.

I am proud of my country, my fellow soldiers, my well skilled / multi-talented army and the way Canadians as a whole are seen by the rest of the world.

I am not proud of the LSVW, civilian contractors doing jobs the army should and could be doing, fat out of shape people who do nothing but complain to the mir every time the can't do PT.

So Who To Blame? The Jr. Ranks didn't decide to purchase the LSVW, they didn't hire the civilian contractors to run our army and they didn't lower the PT standards that turned us into a fat army.

:cdn:

CFL, I agree with what you said.   I seen alot of the same stupid shit when I spent a little time with Battalion.   However, I suspect the answers aren't as clear cut as they may seem; if they were, don't you think someone might have solved them by now.   I think Mid-Level commanders have alot of extra shit dumped on them from on high that prevents them from carrying out the most logical choice.   Of course, like numpty privates who can't do anything right, there is going to be officers who are incompetent asstards; this is inexcusable and I would pin this on a lack of professionalism of the Officer Corps as a whole in policing its own (again, an organizational issue).
---

As for Greydak's remarks:

We are declining from a â Å“golden ageâ ?. The days of men who wanted to rise to the top of the rank structure to make a difference for the good of the country, not to line their pockets with tax dollars.

And when would that be?   Are you implying that their was a time when all soldiers and officers joined for purely altruistic reasons?   Granatstein has noted that the early 1950's to mid 1960's was a time when the military had sufficient resources and funding and the professionalism of our Officer Corps and our Ranks was considered top form.   But those were completely different times; you cannot hope to wind the clock back.

Sure we used to have better funding.   But then again we never required multi-million dollar strategic transport planes, support ships, and armoured fighting vehicles.   Sure we had the general support of the Canadian public.   However, that was a different generation, who in the span of 40 years experienced 2 world wars and an overseas police action.   Today's generation holds a different view on the military, the state, and authority in general.   We must adapt the force around these contingencies; going back in time is not the way to do it.

Why would you talk about reservists who â Å“half-heartedly dedicate themselves to the reserves as a social clubâ ?, not only is that far from the truth, but is goes against your optimistic ways.

I saw enough in my 3.5 years as a reservist.   If you don't believe that their is reservists with this attitude, then you got your head up your ass.   How else can you explain reserve units of 220 troops on paper barely scraping together a platoon+ for exercise (funny, alot of people seem to need that time to study for exams...).

I am proud of my country, my fellow soldiers, my well skilled / multi-talented army and the way Canadians as a whole are seen by the rest of the world.

As am I.   Why do you think that I and others around here who know that many things are right-the-fuck-outta-it continue to serve.

I am not proud of the LSVW, civilian contractors doing jobs the army should and could be doing, fat out of shape people who do nothing but complain to the mir every time the can't do PT.

So Who To Blame? The Jr. Ranks didn't decide to purchase the LSVW, they didn't hire the civilian contractors to run our army and they didn't lower the PT standards that turned us into a fat army.

And you are blaming Canada's senior officers for an NDHQ (politically influenced) purchasing decision, an government departmental service contract, and a training decision that was very much influenced from political pressure to conform the military to some social experimental outcomes?   Did it ever occur to you that their was very likely senior level opposition against some (or all) of these issues (eg: The LSVW failed the military's testing procedures; result, government cleared the vehicle for use anyways).   Try putting some more thought into your accusations.

CFL wrote: "Oh and the States had 9/11 and still aren't taking defence very seriously so I think our country is done."

Yes the level of  Apathy in Canada is pretty unsettling to me also. 
History shows that waiting for something bad to happen, and -then- reacting is never a good option.

On a personal level I have friends who can't understand why I want to join the Army Reserves. 
My answer to them is both simple, and Complex...the short answer, 'it's something I feel I have to do'.

Then I ask them what it means to be Canadian? Seldom do I get an answer beyond a 'beer comercial' answer.
So I'm not suprised that things are the way they are.

No I'm not sure where this country is going Military wise, but I can tell yah it won't be due to any inaction on my part, and maybe that's what is going to save us...the hard working dedicated individuals.  Other then that I can see how in time we will simply be 'absorbed' by another more active and dedicated Country...prob' without firing a single shot.

Happy thoughts...
Cheers!
P.

I couldn't give you a date...but way, way back...I think when Canada and the US we're still being populated by boat-fulls of Europeans, there was a war between the settlers in (what was then) British North America and the US...the Canadians we're badly out numbered and under-rated and weren't up to standards with their weapons and had the element of surprise thrown in their faces (pretty much like we are now) when the Americans tried to take over BNA in the middle of the night...and we kicked their asses!!  And just because they're still a powerhouse of a nation, who's to say we couldn't take them again?  Statistics, their weapons, their president, their men...okay, I'm getting a little carried away, but it's the Canadian spirit thats always brought us out on top (whether it's in our hockey players or our soldiers)...

Back