• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

which roman general do you have most appreciation for

sean m

Inactive
Reaction score
H thello again everyone,

Another professor brought up the the great question of ich roman general we appreciated most. EdThere are many fo us to choose from. Which general do you have most respect for.

For me, I would have to go with scipio aemilianus. He really has seemd to be a soldiers general. He seemed to have been the most capable general of his generation according to the book In The Name of Rome. He seems to have greatly added more discipline in the army wheb it was lacking. He commanded order for both officers and soldiers. He cared for the men who couldn't keep up.He had the same living standards as the ordinary soldier. He was a scholar and ,as showHe ed in the destruction of carthage, could sympath ize for his enemy captors. He was loyal to Rome and his men. . He also defeaed other North African threas.

It is to bad he is not as well known as a scipio africanus or julius caesar.

Which roman general then do you repect most?

Scipio Africanus I have head of, but not this chap.

Horrible counter examples:

Gaius Terentius Varro and Lucius Aemilius Paullus (Commanders during the Battle of Cannae)

Publius Quinctilius Varus (Battle of the Teutoburg Forest)

Marcus Licinius Crassus (Battle of Carrhae)

You can learn a lot by studying defeats as well as victories....

Biggus Diccus has my vote.

One of the few that truly captured the spirit of Rome in it's final throws...

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:

dileas

tess
I blame you for milk on my phone now, and an urge to watch The Life of Brian.

sean m said:
H thello again everyone,

Another professor brought up the the great question of ich roman general we appreciated most. EdThere are many fo us to choose from. Which general do you have most respect for.

For me, I would have to go with scipio aemilianus. He really has seemd to be a soldiers general. He seemed to have been the most capable general of his generation according to the book In The Name of Rome. He seems to have greatly added more discipline in the army wheb it was lacking. He commanded order for both officers and soldiers. He cared for the men who couldn't keep up.He had the same living standards as the ordinary soldier. He was a scholar and ,as showHe ed in the destruction of carthage, could sympath ize for his enemy captors. He was loyal to Rome and his men. . He also defeaed other North African threas.

It is to bad he is not as well known as a scipio africanus or julius caesar.

Which roman general then do you repect most?

You should ask recceguy, as he served under a few, he might have some personal insight.... ;D

What about Maximus Decimus Meridius?

On a more serious note I would have to say Caeser althought I dont know as much about roman history as I would like.

the 48th regulator said:
We sure are crossing the Rubicon with this topic.....

dileas

tess

Subtle, I like it...

Personally, he's not Roman. However, in terms of Roman military history. Someone was going to say it, I'm a fan of Hannibal. The damnation of the Romans, Cannae anyone?

Thucydides said:
Marcus Licinius Crassus (Battle of Carrhae)

You can learn a lot by studying defeats as well as victories....

Yes, don't trust local guides. And don't ride off with a bunch of Parthean horsemen.

He lost his head over that.

the 48th regulator said:

dileas

tess

:rofl: :rofl:

i'll send you the bill for the new keyboard and monitor then shall I. 8)

BadgerTrapper said:
Subtle, I like it...

Personally, he's not Roman. However, in terms of Roman military history. Someone was going to say it, I'm a fan of Hannibal. The damnation of the Romans, Cannae anyone?
Zama?
While Cannae was a great victory for Hannibal, in the end, Zama was a greater victory for Rome, led by Scipio Africanus.  Zama ended the 2nd Punic War.

Technoviking said:
Zama?
While Cannae was a great victory for Hannibal, in the end, Zama was a greater victory for Rome, led by Scipio Africanus.  Zama ended the 2nd Punic War.

[Pedantry]

He wasn't Scipio Africanus until after he lead the Romans to victory at Zama.  Just good old Publius Cornelius

[/Pedantry]

Wasn't exactly well treated by the Senate after the fact

Ingrata patria, ne ossa quidem habebis

the 48th regulator said:

dileas

tess

Now was that "throes" as in last gasp of existance...  or throws as in doing a "spiderman web sling" on someone, which also could have some gasping involved  >:D

jollyjacktar said:
Now was that "throes" as in last gasp of existance...  or throws as in doing a "spiderman web sling" on someone, which also could have some gasping involved  >:D

Et tu, Brute?

dileas

tess

PMedMoe said:

dileas

tess
I read that all the women liked him.    ;)
rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

AJFitzpatrick said:
[Pedantry]

He wasn't Scipio Africanus until after he lead the Romans to victory at Zama.  Just good old Publius Cornelius

[/Pedantry]
Very good point. I should have pointed out his very title for his victory.  Anyway, this thread isn't about the best General, but the one for whom you have the most appreciation.  My answer remains Scipio Africanus, for his victories that won the Second Punic War.

Technoviking said:
Very good point. I should have pointed out his very title for his victory.  Anyway, this thread isn't about the best General, but the one for whom you have the most appreciation.  My answer remains Scipio Africanus, for his victories that won the Second Punic War.

On that basis: Trajan (Marcus Ulpius Nerva Trajanus Augustus)

417px-Traianus_Glyptothek_Munich_336.jpg

Flavius Belisarius (Greek: Βελισάριος, ca. AD 500[1] – AD 565) was a general of the Byzantine Empire. He was instrumental to Emperor Justinian's ambitious project of reconquering much of the Mediterranean territory of the former Western Roman Empire, which had been lost less than a century previously.

One of the defining features of Belisarius' career was his success despite the little or no support he received from Justinian. He is also among a select group of men considered by historians to be the "Last of the Romans".

As taken from Wikipedia,  I got interested in the man from reading a alternative history novel.  He is considered one of the most successfull Roman Generals. 

Back