• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where is Aldershot Actually Located?

HoM,

I will agree with that but add this.

First, I have never been witness to the local LEOs doing anything but their job.  Full stop.  

However, I have seen the locals picking it with Res guys in The Edge (but where doesn't that happen?).  We (me and few other staff) stepped in, and told the kids to go home..or elsewhere.  (Because we knew what the RSM said about troops getting in trouble downtown). 

I know of one time after a night at The Edge, a course was out livin' it up.  Their Sgt, when there wasn't enough room for him in the cab, said "I'll catch the next one".  He got jumped not 2 minutes later.  Bad.  Broken leg, jaw, etc.  4 guys did him good.

The last real trouble I heard off (few years ago now) was actually between some "seasonal workers" and guys from the Camp.  That wasn't a good one, and, the Camp CO took discipinary action against the Res guys...and from what I heard (one of them I know personally) they could have walked away and didn't.  

I have also seen some Res guys biting off more than they can chew full of liquid-stupid and pay the price.  So there's been some give and take both ways.

I haven't spent near the time in the area that alot of folks did...but thats what I seen/knew about, when I was there.

Again, never seen or heard of anything uncalled for on the part of the LEOs.

Never liked the O myself, too far to get to and even farther to get "home" especially whern the cab prices doubled. looking at the google pictures brings back memories  :'(

My God, do the google pics ever bring back memories. It has been a while though, the new shacks were just going up the last time I was there. I was down that way last week and took a drive around the area, the whole fifteen minutes that takes ;D I hit the Kings Arms, Paddy's, Joe's (I know, I drank alot), it brought back memories.

Where is Aldershot, exactly? In the middle of the biggest freaking dustbowl you ever saw.

My favourite places in the late 90's were Legends and JR's and the occasional trip to the Old Orchard. Spent a few nights walking the dykes in Wolfville with whatever bar star I had fallen in love with and a few more buying booze in New Minas and walking the paths to JR's.

Mud Recce Man said:
HoM,

I will agree with that but add this.

First, I have never been witness to the local LEOs doing anything but their job.  Full stop.  

However, I have seen the locals picking it with Res guys in The Edge (but where doesn't that happen?).  We (me and few other staff) stepped in, and told the kids to go home..or elsewhere.  (Because we knew what the RSM said about troops getting in trouble downtown). 

I know of one time after a night at The Edge, a course was out livin' it up.  Their Sgt, when there wasn't enough room for him in the cab, said "I'll catch the next one".  He got jumped not 2 minutes later.  Bad.  Broken leg, jaw, etc.  4 guys did him good.

The last real trouble I heard off (few years ago now) was actually between some "seasonal workers" and guys from the Camp.  That wasn't a good one, and, the Camp CO took discipinary action against the Res guys...and from what I heard (one of them I know personally) they could have walked away and didn't. 
I have also seen some Res guys biting off more than they can chew full of liquid-stupid and pay the price.  So there's been some give and take both ways.

I haven't spent near the time in the area that alot of folks did...but thats what I seen/knew about, when I was there.

Again, never seen or heard of anything uncalled for on the part of the LEOs.

I think i know what your talking about, i was there during that time and yes it didn't turn out to good

JR's is gone now too....

I think they call it Club Electric but may have gone under as well. I remember Friday night fight night at closing time at JR's

Ahhhh JR's....so much fun and bruised egos the next day, as well as eyes and knuckles.      ;D

Took a look at the map and all the old H huts are gone, couldn't see the old obstacle course at all. Looks like a totally new base.

Regards

Last time I was there the old obs course was still there.  "Sappers Row" I think it was called then...

RBD, if you haven't been there since the days when the old H-huts (half with their sign CONDEMNED on them) where there, you would really be impressed with what they did there.

They paved most of it, new mess hall, etc etc.

Sappers Row/Gauntlet, something like that...right behind Range Control, IIRC.

HitorMiss said:
JR's is gone now too....

I think they call it Club Electric but may have gone under as well. I remember Friday night fight night at closing time at JR's

I worked the door at JR's for 2 years, they were in the process of changing it to Club Static when I left a couple of years ago for Legends.  I don't ever recall the bar taking off under the new name/ownership.

In all honesty, it was pretty much 50/50 with regards to who started with who on any given night.  Lots of young "shake and bake" killers would come in through the door with tags out and flashing their military id cards, I generally gave a them a quick heads up and it was up to them after that.  If the bar was busy, and there were lots of women about, there was a minimum of fuss all around.  But like anywhere, it didn't take much to polarize the room. 

The locals are not always the most welcoming bunch, as I'm sure several of you can attest to.  Just remember they come out of the woodwork when trouble springs up.

Now to really tell your age,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, who remembers where the Big Apple was or Mingles, spent eight glorius summers in, at the time "MTC Aldershot."

cp140tech said:

The locals are not always the most welcoming bunch, as I'm sure several of you can attest to.  Just remember they come out of the woodwork when trouble springs up.

It is to be expected. These guys are around all year and have their places literally invaded by outsiders who have a wad of cash and (sometimes) a superiority complex.
So if a fight gets started and a bunch come out of the wood work don't be surprised. After all these people live and work here all their life.  They went to school together. Some are related others are just good buddies.

Like anywhere you have to mind your Ps and Qs and try to blend in.  Don't go into town with your CF belt a cadpat back pack, a course T-shirt that has the phrase "Fu(ked up like a soup sandwich" emblazoned on it. And expect not to get dirty looks. Especially when at a G rated matinee and suddenly your vocabulary includes the " F " word in every third or fourth adjective/pronoun.  Hell I would probably help Billy Bob and Luke kick your ass if you were out of line.

Personally I have not had any problems with any of the local populace. Just try to blend in and be nice. After all as soon as you guys all leave the university students arrive. Then its the same thing all over again.

gawd I feel old,
I remember Aldershot from '75.  At that time, the barracks were still the old H-huts that still bore numerous murals from the time the Black Watch (RHR of C) (reg force) occupied the place.
Ahhh - Attacking Mortar hill
attacking from Mortar hill
attacking Mortar hill... ad nauseum! (oh what fun!)

Kentville - the people there  were as hospitable then as they are now..... (not very much)
Oh the memories!....

Thanks for all the Help. I did see what looked alot like a military installation on google maps. and it seemed like the right place. I just wanted confirmation, since the reserves can at times, be less then punctual about getting me the information I need.

I'll be there (god willing) for mods 2-6 in Oct-Nov of this fall.

Once again, Thanks for all the help, and info about the area.

Cheers
  Tommy

Tommy if my memory serves me, Oct -Nov there can often see severe changes in weather. I can remember being on course and digging in in my shirt sleeves and a couple of hours later draggig out the parka.

One thing nice about the place is it's compact even the training area. That has it's unique advantages. Unless that has changed as much as the buildings then "digging in" on mortar hill is almost as easy as it was in W Germany on Reforger  8)

Almost like digging on a beach  :).  Well maybe not that easy but...

One last point Tommy...I hope you like Pumpkin People!   ;D

http://www.town.kentville.ns.ca/explorekentville_events_harvest.cfm

We used to go to Aldershot for the LFAA SAC in the fall and, because I had never heard of this before, I was shocked and amazed to see Pumpkin People all over the place.  The crew I was with stopped at this one house that actually had a Pumpkin People wedding all laid out, complete with a Pumpkin Padre, bride, groom, guests, you name it.  Of course, the Pumpkin People didn't mind us joining them for a few pics.  Then further on down the road, there was Pumpkin People hanging by their necks in the trees...and we decided it was time to head home.    :eek:

Hey Tommy, glad to see you home safe and sound. Enjoy your rest, and congrats on a job well done!

I did my SLC at Aldershot back in 1993. Do they still ue that term SLC?? 

Still got that 'In Peace and War' beer mug, and used to have a t-shirt that said 'ALDERSHOT, A LITTLE PIECE OF HELL ON EARTH.'

It was a little run down ( still using unmodified wartime huts), had the most angled parade square ever, and there was a Militia Armouries there too. Kind of neat to have your own personal training area, so I am sure the West Nova's still make use of it.

There was some serious redneck style pubs locally, one reminded me of Porky's called JD's or somerting like that. Then there was the King's Arm or Hand which was much nicer than Porky's, ha!

Personally, I too found the locals not very welcoming to the troops as noted in an above post.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
I did my SLC at Aldershot back in 1993. Do they still ue that term SLC?? 

I was on one of the last SLCs in 2002, or so our Crse MWO told us.  So the term hasn't really "died out" yet.

It is now called ILQ...Intermediate Leadership Qualification. 

You think you feel old- I spent every summer there from 1965 to 1967.

There were still "Buy War Bonds" posters on the walls. ;)

Someone mentioned Yoho Valley, brought back a flood of memories.

geo said:
gawd I feel old,
I remember Aldershot from '75.  At that time, the barracks were still the old H-huts that still bore numerous murals from the time the Black Watch (RHR of C) (reg force) occupied the place.
Ahhh - Attacking Mortar hill
attacking from Mortar hill
attacking Mortar hill... ad nauseum! (oh what fun!)

Kentville - the people there  were as hospitable then as they are now..... (not very much)
Oh the memories!....

GUNS said:
You think you feel old- I spent every summer there from 1965 to 1967.
There were still "Buy War Bonds" posters on the walls. ;)
Someone mentioned Yoho Valley, brought back a flood of memories.
You must've seen those same Black Watch murals, (Korean war vintage)
Eaten blueberries in the Annapolis valley ....
Examined Mortar hill with a magnifying glass...

Chezzz GUNS, you really are an old fart ;)

I lived on the camp for five months a year from 1977 - 1981 as a kid.  Made a small fortune (back then) collecting brass from the course that went out.  There was a scrap metal dealer that gave us 2 cents a casing.  No " I have no live Round or empty casing for a 13 yr old.

Back