• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WHEN IS the next Naval Officer Assessment Board (NOAB) ?

Good for you SI, I am glad you enjoyed your day out.

Sounds like a very maneouvrable ship.  Did they feed you too?  How was it?  Tell us about the the conversations you had with the crew, especially with the MARS officer.

Reading your post made me even more excited to go on the NOAB....just over 21 days and counting.

One of the things I am most looking forward to is meeting all you fine people (because I am hoping you'll all be able to go too).

Hope everyone had a fantastic long weekend!

They did feed us.  Had a bar-b -que on the flight deck.  Hot dogs/hamburgers, salads, squares for desert.  It was very good, and one of the crew pointed out that they don't always eat this type of food (not sure if he meant they don't always 'eat this good' or that they maybe eat other food that is less the 'fast food' type.  I asked the MARS officer what makes a good MARS officer... he said they feed you information at a high rate and you have to be able to deal with it.... kind of like getting water from a fire hose.  He also said there is typically a lot of competition between MARS officers.  On his ship it was not bad since not all of the officers wanted to be a commanding officer.  He indicated that it was a tough road (training wise) but was very rewarding. He loves his job was the bottom line. 

Also heard from another officer who was talking about time away from home.  He said that the average is 4 months a year..... but that a major deployment like 6 months might only occur 1 or 2 times in an entire career.  The PO 2 that was with my recruiting centre said that in her career she had spent 26 days at sea as her longest deployment.

Interesting stuff....

I certainly hope to get to meet you and others on the NOAB in 3 weeks!.... if I get the invite this week.  I'm going to call the RC tomorrow to see if they received my medical results last week.... just to make sure that is not hanging me up.

Steve_D said:
The final date that this can be done by is Sept 18.  I don't think that things can happen that quickly.  How long have others waited for the Ottawa reply?  The Capt at the RC did say that he will try to expedite it.

Steve

Steve I had my over 40 package done Aug 24th at a lab in my home town and though they say it was sent a couple days after that, I called my RC just now and he said the Meds still shows pending.  He said he would look into it this week.  However, I think part of the problem for me is that the results are being sent to the 'main' RC in the area and not the one I am going thru, so that adds to the time.... You mentioned delivering the file yourself....I'd say that would be a good idea! 

So it can take some time and the waiting IS painful for sure.

Hey Steve, how'd it go with the Dr yesterday?  I just called the RC and spoke to the Dr who did my physical.  No lab results (17 days after my tests!) so he said he would call the lab and get the results faxed to him today.  What I am wondering is if this now still has to go to Ottawa for approval before they could invite me to the Sept 28 NOAB.

So same question Steve had... anyone know how long it takes for the Ottawa reviewer (Dr I guess) to give approval once all the information is in?

SI

Thanks for asking.  The doctor's appt went well yesterday.  She filled in the papers in front of me. I then went off the get the bloodwork and ECG done.  The ECG was faxed to my doctor before I even left the room.  The blood work will be at the doctors office on Monday. Unfortunately, she is off until Tuesday, but wrote herself a note and made me a promise that she will have everygthing ready for me to pick up on Tuesday.  I am going to drive it up to Fredericton myself (sonce it is only just over an hour drive away and it is my day off).  They will have to check it and send it to Ottawa.  I did stop in to the RC to give them the update and the Capt felt that I should still be able to make the Sept 18 deadline.  So today, my hopes are up for Sept 28 NOAB.  I will let everyone know as soon as I have more good news.

Did you all hear that they have also put on another BMOQ for Oct 19?  Don't know if that is too close after NOAB, but I am going to hope for the best.  The sooner I can start, the sooner I can (1) quit my current job and (2) my family can breath easier financially.

Have a great day everyone!
:) :cdn:

Hey Steve heres hoping and praying things work out for you brother.  Take care.

As for myself, I still have not received a call yet, however i'm hoping if i do, i get a chance to meet with all of you fine people.  I can sense the camaraderie developing even before we start working together!  Lovin it.  All the best to all of you in the upcoming days. 

Steve your note gives me hope that the timing might also work out for me.  As for the Oct BMOQ... that would be exactly 2 weeks notice to give work that I am quitting.... not sure if that is enough, but it would get us into the new career faster!

I agree with you Jerieln that all the posts here are already beginning to make this feel like a group of friends.  Good luck to all in getting a call today or next week!

Good to hear about your progress Steve.  Got my fingers crossed for you and SI too. 

I got my detailed schedule for the Sept 28 NOAD on Wednesday. It lists exactly what we'll be doing every day.  When I was at my CFRC, I spoke to them about BMOQ and possible start dates.  I found out that there are something like 37 open spots for the Oct 19 BMOQ and that the Jan 2010 and Feb 2010 are "full".  I was told that 2 weeks is probably too fast of a turn around for us folks going to the NOAB but Oct 19 is still possible. (when the CF wants something done badly enough it gets it done)  I was also told that even though Jan and Feb look full, there is a possibility that what happened is that the powers that be "blocked off" enough spots in anticipation of all of us NOAB people and whoever else joins before Christmas.

Personally, since I am not employed right now, I would certainly benefit from the money if we started in Oct.  But right now I am going to Cambrian College taking Chef Training so if we don't start until Jan or Feb I would still be happy because it is SO fun learning the skills of a professional chef.  (I love to cook)

So, in the meantime, for me its just a matter of getting into physical condition for BMOQ and concentrating on my Chef Training in the event I am not selected by the NAVY.  (not taking anything for granted).

Rob

I would have a lot of things to take care of in 2 weeks if I went to the Oct 19 BMOQ and I am working, so not sure if I am required to give more than 2 weeks notice.  On the other hand, I'd like to start soon and if the Jan 2010 BMOQ is full, the next one might be another 3 months later or something.... I don't want to wait that long if I can help it.

For the first time in my entire life, I would not have to give 2 weeks. In fact, (not really wanting to be a negative person) this place is so badly organized and lacking in leadership, that I would simply hand my headset and badge in and skip happily out the door.  I am dreaming every available minute that I could make the Oct BMOQ.  Every day here is hell, but not worth looking for another job if I will be in the CF within a short time frame.

Have a great day everyone!!

Steve

As for me,  have a good relationship with the place I work at, 2 weeks is not enough time to get everything ready that I need to do... Plus this is a pay-cut for me, so January looks good and hope vacancies sill still be there when I make it.  I missed a call from the Leading Seaman at our CFRC on Wednesday and am hoping it was the call for NOAB, calling her back on Monday to see for sure...

In other news... I spent the last two days on the Ville de Quebec, which is on the great lakes deployment.  I had the most amazing time and learned more about our trade in the 36 hours aboard than i have in the last 6 months of research.  The food is incredible on board, got to hang out in the ward room (officers mess) and talk with every officer except the CO.  Dollar beers, might I add, at the bar! (trouble).  We did a day-sail the next day.  Spent most of the time on the bridge, especially when we were coming alongside in Windsor, which took three attempts due to current and high winds from the stern. A MARS officer explained every detail as it was happening on the bridge as it was very fast paced.  The XO came up and gave us a few words about the situation after the lines were down ashore.  All in all this was a tremendous experience that showed me not only how much work, time and dedication this will take us, but also how much fun and comradery exists aboard, at port and ashore!!

Trish, and any other French speaking people: This ship will most likely be a posting of yours as it the French Unit of the Navy... The CO and XO are tremendous people who teach people their trade well and still know how to give you hell when you need it!  All officers and NCMs aboard were extremely nice, and although i don't speak much french, they made me not want to leave the ship when it came time, good luck to all!! If anyone has further questions please post them here or IM me through Milnet

Diesel

Glad to hear that you had a good time. Sure makes me anxious for NOAB and the Day sale.

Let us know about your phone call to the RC on Monday.

Cheers

Steve

DIESEL 007 said:
Trish, and any other French speaking people: This ship will most likely be a posting of yours as it the French Unit of the Navy...

I guess they must have ''fill it'' with a few French speaking people because it comes to few cities in the province that are mostly French.  My dad will be happy that some of them will be able to answers their questions next week when we go visit ! hihi

Diesel, man I hope the call is the one you have been waiting for.  The overnight sail sounds great.  I did the day sail in TO...what were the officers cabins like?  Does this seem like waiting for Christmas to arrive as a child... to any of you?  Man this week is gonna be painful, unless I get a call early.  Best of luck and prayers to all waiting for a call!

SomethingImportant said:
Diesel, man I hope the call is the one you have been waiting for.  The overnight sail sounds great.  I did the day sail in TO...what were the officers cabins like? 

I could probably handle this one. Most of the officer cabins are built for two people. Those ones have a pair of bunks built into the wall, one atop the other, of the style where bed folds up into the wall during the day, and folds down when needed. Each person in the cabin will have their own locker, where personal kit is stored. As well, the cabins will have one or two desks, with a laptop, where the officers can complete their paperwork, etc.

For female personnel, there is what is called the "tri-cabin", which is located just forward of most of the other cabins. It is found just across from the female officers' head and washplace, and it accomodates 3 people.

And for junior male officers, there is cabin 6/8, where they basically took two cabins, and cut out the wall in between them to make more space. They managed to pack in 3 pairs of bunks, and 6 lockers, as well as a pair of desks. For the most part, this cabin will hold personnel under training, although in cases where the ship is quite packed, such as when on deployment with a full air detachment, this may not be the case.

Should 6/8 and all the other cabins be full, junion officers can expect to be put up in one of the ship's many mess decks.

The primary difference between the cabins and the mess decks is that, for the officers living in the cabins, the space is both their living quarters, and their work area, what with the laptops and the desks and all. This becomes more important the more administrative duties you have. The mess decks on the other hand are supposed to be solely living spaces.

Woot Woot! All aboard the NOAB train!  Just received confirmation of my selection.  Not getting my flight information until next week.  Very excited to get this next step under way, and hopefully be selected and start planning for BMOQ.  Good luck to all, and if you haven't heard from the CFRC yet get on the phone and ask, thats directly from the mouth of the CO of our CFRC.

Really, I'll try this afternoon then... at the end of last week I called to know if it was possible to know if I was on the list and they said they could not give that kind of information !

Congrats Diesel!  I have been burning up the phone trying to make sure they have all the medical reports they need for me.  They finally got the last one from the lab a few minutes ago(gee only took the lab 20 days and multiple requests).  So the RC says they will do some phoning around for me to see if they can get me in.....crossing my fingers and toes.  But the Dr is not at my RC until Thursday to review the report, so not sure how this is going to play out.  Wish me luck!  :nod:

Back