• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

When is a good time to apply?

Marcus_1989

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've had a lot of time to think over the past 2 years, and I feel I'm ready to finally apply for the Canadian Forces. I've chosen Combat Engineer, Weapons Technician, and Armour as my preferred trades.

However, during this time of thought, I've happened upon my significant other. Since she's finishing her degree in September, I decided it'd be better for everyone if I just put in my application when she finishes. Not to mention I could use the time to get into shape, since after meeting her I've gone down on the physical fitness.

My question is that, given the lengthy wait times for most trades lately, should I process my application sooner than September so that I can possibly get in that much faster as opposed to waiting until September, and then waiting a year afterward until I get my call?

I want to try to get in the CF as soon as possible, however I don't want to screw myself over by getting a call earlier than intended given my need for physical fitness (5'11, 230lbs, and I want to make myself as ready as possible for BMQ)

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Have yourselves a good day.

Start exercising now - not because I think you are *too big* or something - but its obviously a concern for you - just do it - no time like the present.
Based on your message I think you need to do more thinking - no one can tell you how quickly your application process will take or when/if you will be accepted - or even if your trade(s) will be open when you're done and hopefully merit listed.  As you noted, you could be waiting a while for a call.  If you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY cannot afford a chance that you get through the application process and receive a job offer in less than 8 months for whatever reason -  wait until September... Hard stop.
Your process could last 3 months it could take 3 years... who knows. 
You want to get in a soon as possible even if it means BMQ in July?  Apply now and see what happens.  The answers you seek no-one else can possibly answer them for you.  Everyone's *journey* is unique.

Thank you for the response. I figured as much that no one would have a time frame, but it never hurts to ask. Maybe I will try for that July BMQ, though.

Either way, thanks. Have a good one.

Marcus_1989 said:
Thank you for the response. I figured as much that no one would have a time frame, but it never hurts to ask. Maybe I will try for that July BMQ, though.

Umm -  July BMQ was just an example.  They hold BMQ's throughout the year, even several start dates within the same month.  (what if your application process rolled on without a hitch and your trade was open and you got a call for a May BMQ?)

Marcus_1989 said:
Maybe I will try for that July BMQ, though.

You don't get to try for specific BMQ dates. You decide when you want to apply and for what trades. The CF decides the rest based on the CF's needs.

Now is a good time to start warming up to the idea of having zero control on what happens to you.

Duly noted. I appreciate the information, you two. You've been a great help.

I'll just focus on what I can right now, and when I feel ready (both physically and personal obligation-wise), I'll put in my papers and let the CF take it from there, wherever it goes.

I'll give you this advice on when you should Apply.

Yesterday is the best time to apply for the CF now.

Start exercising mow as well.  If you don't get in for awhile your health will improve and your fitness will improve regardless.

Start volunteering, and doing course work to pad your application.

There is no time like the Present to start working towards a goal.

I always log in and look at posts and what not . Yesterday I decided to apply online only took me like 20 minutes. I'm attending Adult school to finish my high-school credits I only need 2 more . April is coming up dont waste time and apply. I mean you already got the positions you want to apply for therefor your mind is made up . I see a pattern of long months of waiting with other members that shared their story on this forum .

Apply during the first week of april. Thats usually when hiring season tends to open up for all applications.  General rule is that you will apply this year to be hired next year. Reason being is that by the time your application is processed and you have gone through your preliminary testing most of the open jobs will have been filled up with the people who have applied before you and have been waiting.  Theres a chance you may get lucky if they are in dire need of a certian trade (have a look at forces.ca and find the little red stars). Also remember if you are a non skilled hire anyone applying with with a semi-skilled or skilled status will be ahead of you.

- My advise: Apply as soon as they will accept your application however DONT quit your day job or whatever your doing as it is my experiance you will be 3-6 months MINIMUM waiting time, if not a whole year. Use the time to better your resume, get in shape, anything that will make you a more attractive hire. Good luck!

I was told during my interview that there is a bare minimum threshold level required to join the CF.
If I recall correctly, it is a 3.0 on the 'Beep Test (20m shuttle run), and 4 pushups.
He told me specifically that if you passed this test but not the express, that you would be sent for extra physical training.
However, if you do fail this, you are likely (assuming you're under 35) to be rejected and would not have a chance to reapply.
These requirements are ridiculously easy and should not be a problem unless you have serious health issues.

I suggest you just apply as soon as possible and pray for the best. Get ready as much as you can until then and don't put it off.

Good luck in your application,

KG

Back