• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

When do medical benefits start?

kawa11

Inactive
Reaction score
I've called the recruitment centre a couple times and gotten two varying answers on this.

One answer is the day I get to St. Jean, the second is the afternoon post swearing in.
Neither person seemed to be able to give certainty with their answer so I thought I'd try my inquiry here.

I'm looking to get Zyban or Champix to quit smoking. It'd be nice if I could get started on that before basic.
So...
(a) When do benefits for Forces members begin?
(b) Are prescriptions like Zyban/Champix covered under the medical benefits?

Not certain when benefits start, but smoking cessation can be covered.  See: http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/ps/hpp-pps/aap-sdp/bo-el-eng.asp

kawa11 said:
(a) When do benefits for Forces members begin?

This may help:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/98349/post-1005118.html#msg1005118

Generally, unless things have changed drastically, smoking cessation Rx's can only be issued if you participate in a Butt Out program - something you're not going to get a chance to do on Basic I wouldn't think.  You might be able to get an Rx for one of the Champix or Zyban or Nicotine replacement, pay for it yourself, and when you're smoke free for a year, bring the receipts in with a Stat Dec from the unti saying you're smoke free and you'll be reimbursed.

MM

medicineman said:
Generally, unless things have changed drastically, smoking cessation Rx's can only be issued if you participate in a Butt Out program - something you're not going to get a chance to do on Basic I wouldn't think.  You might be able to get an Rx for one of the Champix or Zyban or Nicotine replacement, pay for it yourself, and when you're smoke free for a year, bring the receipts in with a Stat Dec from the unti saying you're smoke free and you'll be reimbursed.

MM

I got my Champix last year just by asking the MO.  No "Butt out" required.  Been smoke free for 11 months now.  :)  BMQ can be very stressful and may not be an ideal time to try and quit. Medical coverage starts the day you sign the dotted line. 

medicineman said:

MM
Reimbursement would be excellent. I just wanted some kind of definitive answer whether I should wait until swear in or not.
If I have to wait until BMQ or later, reimbursement or not, I want to have kicked the habit.

Smoker's cough and jogging just don't mix as well as Corona and lime :\

medicineman said:

MM

Sorry MM but according to 4200-54 para 13, the process of 1 year smoke free and reimbursement ended as of 1 Apr 2009.  This is because you no longer require Butt-out exclusivily to get smoking cessation aids.  As long as your part of any form of behavioural counseling you can get the medical aids.  This may have changed again but that is the latest from our chain.

K

I agree that it is a very bad idea to stop smoking when you go to BMQ. They even tell you at BMQ that it is not a good idea to quit when you are there. And this is from Health Promotions, the people that run the butt-out program. Better to wait until after you complete BMQ before you attempt to quit.

Kirsten Luomala said:
Sorry MM but according to 4200-54 para 13, the process of 1 year smoke free and reimbursement ended as of 1 Apr 2009.  This is because you no longer require Butt-out exclusivily to get smoking cessation aids.  As long as your part of any form of behavioural counseling you can get the medical aids.  This may have changed again but that is the latest from our chain.

K

You beat me to it - just finished reading that...learn a new thing every day.  :-[

MM

Back